Echo Chainsaw Thoughts??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Witterings

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I bought a CS 352 ES a while back and have to say I'm not overly impressed with it as it doesn't run that well and bogs down fairly easily (have taken it back to dealers twice and not made any dofference) but was also thinking of upgrading to something a bit more powerful.

A number of the dealers still seem to recommend the Echo's so I'm wondering if maybe I just got unlucky with the one I bought so was interested to hear other people's experience with them was as a brand in general and if maybe I just got unlucky with the one I bought?

Well its like 34cc so it will be easy to “bog” it down in the cut.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I'd possibly agree except I have an old McCulloch Mac 335 and used to have a Stihl MS 180 (which got stolen) .... neither are any more powerful but neither bogged anything like this does.

I think mine is a 331- grey top handle. Nothing special, it gets used infrequently. It always starts, pulls a chain okay, smells a little less obnoxious if you have to work in a situation where you aren’t hunched over. When I had a local dealer they sold Stihl, so that’s what most of my saws are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've seen multiple positive comments on the CS 352, so maybe something's not right with yours. Is it properly tuned? Don't count on your dealer to get it right. Search "chainsaw tuning in the cut" and learn to do it yourself - it's pretty simple.

I'd possibly agree except I have an old McCulloch Mac 335 and used to have a Stihl MS 180 (which got stolen) .... neither are any more powerful but neither bogged anything like this does.

How is the throttle response if you burry the throttle from idle

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

It takes quite a few tanks to break in an echo and see the real power. 35cc class saw, probably a 16" 3/8lp bar and chain...and you can bet it needs to be tuned. Your dealer probably doesn't want to mess with the limiters and tune the carb.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I've run the hell out of a comparable CS-346 for years. Excellent saw for it's size and have used it for cuts much bigger than I really should as I do have bigger saws. Bought a CS-352 to replace it, haven't really used it much as yet. What I've used it seems to do well. Mine was used and supposed to have a muffler mod done. Haven't gotten around to look and see if it actually was.
You didn't say what you're cutting but I'd expect a 352 to cut with or out cut a Stihl 180.

Echo makes quality saws at an affordable price. The Echo philosophy tends to emphasize designing things to work reliably over a long period by using conservative designs and under-stressing components. Even their pro saws won't be as hot power wise as the Stihl and Husky equivalents. However, many people gladly will give up 10-15% in power for a reliable saw at an affordable price.

I wouldn't recommend any 34cc saw from any manufacturer if I'm not doing limbing or working in trees exclusively.

If you're on a budget and need a good all-around saw try this 50cc Echo CS-4910 for $360: https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chainsaws/CS-4910

Nothing wrong with the CS-400, but if I only had one saw it would be a 50cc class to have more flexibility. Besides the 4910 only weighs 10.4 pounds vs 10.1 pounds on the 40cc CS-400.

Good luck!

I also have this same saw Mine says professional on it. Ever see a 35cc saw with an adjustable oiler? This one does. Mine is just the opposite. I have a stihl RS chain on it (16) and it eats most everything I sink it's teeth into. And yes I would buy another Echo in a heartbeat. Might I suggest the CS 490. I have this one and a CS 550Pro. I will not buy the other two brands. Way over priced and poor reputation. JMHO

I also have this same saw Mine says professional on it. Ever see a 35cc saw with an adjustable oiler? This one does. Mine is just the opposite. I have a stihl RS chain on it (16) and it eats most everything I sink it's teeth into. And yes I would buy another Echo in a heartbeat. Might I suggest the CS 490. I have this one and a CS 550Pro. I will not buy the other two brands. Way over priced and poor reputation. JMHO
I ran Sthil exclusively until I bought a new at the time a real (very good saw) Poulan Pro 380. I also ran a Sthil 024, 026, and 029. The PP was one of the last Buffalo. In 2015 I sold that PP for almost 300 bucks and bought an Echo 590 for about 400 bucks. The 590 hooked me on Echo. I bought a cs310 and thought it was nothing I liked but bought a cs352 and realized it's NOT a twin of the 310. It's a great limbing saw and a LOT BETTER than a 310. I think a 310 is STRICTLY a homeowner saw but the cs352 semi-pro. The cs352 runs right along with the Sthil 024. Then I bought a cs490 and it runs about like my Sthil 026. The old Sthil 029 has had a mm and some tuning. It's very powerful for a 54cc saw. Infact the cs490 and 026 are only 4 cc or so smaller but there is a huge difference between those saws. Now think 4cc smaller and go back to the cs310 vs cs352. 30cc vs34cc. A huge difference in performance with only a few cc difference. Now compare the cs352 a 34cc saw with a cs490 at 50 cc. The picture emerges. On small gasoline engines only a few cc bigger motor can be huge. I'm almost 74 and I take 3 saws to the woods for medium trees. 352 for limbs, cs490 for big limbs MS 029 to buck and if I need to buck a big ole tree a cs590.
At my age running a big saw wears me out pretty good. I still work out and pull a bow every day but the Echo saws are lighter and easier on me. Plus they start easy. Today I pulled the Sthil 029 10 times before it fired off. It's been sitting about a month. Fresh gas, 10 pulls pop, 11 pulls, warm up and she screams but the old Sthil gets dirty fast due to internal air flow design. The Sthil weighs about the same as the cs590 but, I Sthil use it some just to keep it running.

I have a couple CS352 saws, they need good tuning and a muff modd, then they cut good for 33cc. I use them around the sawmill a lot cutting up slabwood. Steve
Bought a CS-352 to replace it, haven't really used it much as yet. What I've used it seems to do well. Mine was used and supposed to have a muffler mod done. Haven't gotten around to look and see if it actually was.

Cheers for all teh replies ..... I have seen other posts saying a muffler mod kind of transforms them powerwise ... maybe I should look at getting this done even though it'll probably void the warranty.

I agree with the idea that the saw needs the limiters pulled and some tuning done. I'm not familiar with that particular saw, but I am with Echos. No, they aren't screamers like Husky and most Stihls. Different design philosophy. But they are quality saws. None of the small saws (anything under 3.5-4.0ci to me) are going to be able to be hung into a tree with the spikes and horsed. A sharp, appropriate chain is a must have. Proper tuning is essential. Long story/short- get it tuned and make sure it's running right before dismissing it, or any other saw for that matter.

I don't own or haven't tested a CS-352 so can't help out there.

I will say that Echo has a few "home-runs" in the line-up, combined with a few very good saws, and a few "turds" as well.

My go-to saw and I keep one on my Quad and another on my side-by-side is the Echo CS-370. I own three of them, and gave one to my son-in-law recently when they purchased a new house with 7 acres of woods. They are basically pretty much identical to the CS-400 just few cubes smaller. Built like a tank and you can't wear one out no matter how hard you run it or how many hours you put on it. Is it a "screamer" in the cut, not really, but makes good power for the cc's and they are dead solid reliable. In contrast the CS-510/520 are STRONG runners, and if you compare one to a CS-490 you'll be amazed and how much more power the CS-510 has in comparison.

The CS-490 is still a very well built saw, newer design, professional features, and very popular. It's just not overly impressive for power or cutting speed. They get better if you drop back to an 18" bar, muffler mod/custom tune, but still not on par anyplace with a CS-510/520.

The CS-370/400's require a quick muffler mod, which is nothing more than removing the CAT inside the "can" of the muffler and opening up the deflector just a tad. ALL Echo saws absolutely REQUIRE removing the limiter caps before using them. I just purchased another CS-370 a few days ago and kept track of how much more fuel it needed to be happy. The "L" screw required just over 1/4 turn and the "H" screw 3/4 turns before it would start "four-stroking" nicely out of the cut and clean right up and power thru the wood when you put load back on it. As delivered it would barely stay running at idle and I had to leave the choke on for a while before it didn't stall out going to WOT. In the cut it was "weak" and stalled easily against the clutch. Anyone reading this should remember the previous statement when buying a used Echo saw. Being that lean it's likely to have some P/C damage and may be why it's looking pretty new and up on Ebay for sale....FWIW.

Anyhow, I gave the CS-370 a quick muffler mod, removed the limiter caps, and came right into it's own just like all the other Echo's that I own.

Echo seems to be going in another direction with a new line-up of saws. I've seen some new models added to the line-up recently, CS-3510, CS-4510, etc. It will be interesting to see how those pan out, especially the CS-7310P?

Anyhow, if you haven't done any custom tuning on your CS-352 remove the limiter caps and take a look at the muffler to see if it's restrictive and start there. It's still a small cc saw so it's going to be happy with a short bar. I run 14" bars on all of my smaller Echo saws with Oregon 3/8" LP chain/52dl. Makes for simplicity and it helps them more than you would think for limbing and cutting firewood (smaller logs).......Cliff

I bought a CS 352 ES a while back and have to say I'm not overly impressed with it as it doesn't run that well and bogs down fairly easily (have taken it back to dealers twice and not made any dofference) but was also thinking of upgrading to something a bit more powerful.

A number of the dealers still seem to recommend the Echo's so I'm wondering if maybe I just got unlucky with the one I bought so was interested to hear other people's experience with them was as a brand in general and if maybe I just got unlucky with the one I bought?
Have two Echo saws: a little limbing saw, and a power pruner ( i.e. a chainsaw on a pole ). Both are great. Haven't had the power pruner long, but that little Echo limbing saw is just about as low maintenance ( except for plugs and chain sharpening ). It runs amazingly well. So far the pruner is pretty damn good, I did cut a branch about 5 inches across, and didn't have to climb up a ladder to do it.

Remember, a 5-year warranty on Echo for the guy who's not using it commercially.

Back