Echo CS 310 timing advance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anderson3754

Playing the ultimate game every day
Reaction score
Thoughts on advancing the timing on the Echo CS310. Anybody having done this, and if there was an improvment in performance.

I have wondered the same thing since I have the 352. I have read that the echos are already advanced enough so I haven't tried it on mine. I did remove the cat from the muffler and opened up the outlet a little. It seems to have a little more power and runs a whole lot cooler.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Yup my muffler is gutted, carb reset, 14 inch bar, full chisel chain and it cuts very nice. Just wondering if a few more degrees advanced would take a fuller advantage of the exhaust mod, and carb being reset. Just like a SB or BB Chevy, just alittle advance is what I'm thinking.

Yes, they do cut well for their size. I was pleasantly surprised with mine. I was thinking about the advance as well, that's why I was researching it. I haven't pulled my flywheel, does it have a separate key or a cast in key?

Yes, they do cut well for their size. I was pleasantly surprised with mine. I was thinking about the advance as well, that's why I was researching it. I haven't pulled my flywheel, does it have a separate key or a cast in key?

Well it's gonna be one or the other, cast into the flywheel or seperate key. For me I hope its a seperate key to allow me to make an offset key, but if it is cast into the flywheel I can work around that also.
I don't know what Mountain Lake means when he says it's built in unless it's part of the coil design. I sure if you advance the flywheel your going to move the static timing forward allowing the built in timing if that is what it has to continue doing it's own advancing.

Well it's gonna be one or the other, cast into the flywheel or seperate key. For me I hope its a seperate key to allow me to make an offset key, but if it is cast into the flywheel I can work around that also.
I don't know what Mountain Lake means when he says it's built in unless it's part of the coil design. I sure if you advance the flywheel your going to move the static timing forward allowing the built in timing if that is what it has to continue doing it's own advancing.
I think he means it's already set at 30 degrees with the factory position of the flywheel. I think some coils can retard and advance. I think they retard upon starting and advance when running. I have read that advancing over 30 degrees can have negative effects, like hard starting and overheating.

"I think he means it's already set at 30 degrees with the factory position of the flywheel. I think some coils can retard and advance. I think they retard upon starting and advance when running. I have read that advancing over 30 degrees can have negative effects, like hard starting and overheating."

Ah gotcha.... so if it is? 30 degrees, is that already considered the max for that engine design or can one bump it forward lets say 5 degrees more???

"I think he means it's already set at 30 degrees with the factory position of the flywheel. I think some coils can retard and advance. I think they retard upon starting and advance when running. I have read that advancing over 30 degrees can have negative effects, like hard starting and overheating."

Ah gotcha.... so if it is? 30 degrees, is that already considered the max for that engine design or can one bump it forward lets say 5 degrees more???
I wish I knew. I have only done it on an old Husqvarna 50.

Echo has used their digital SAI2 ignition for years, instead of having a set ignition angle...for example...the ignition happening at 21* btdc which allows for easier starting, but is not stellar for higher rpms where the timing curve retards. The sai2 module retards the timing at starting speeds and steps up for a healthy idle...then as speed increases it rolls into an advance for power. Sai2 is 2nd generation Slope Advance Ignition. They may be on a 3rd generation by now

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Echo has used their digital SAI2 ignition for years, instead of having a set ignition angle...for example...the ignition happening at 21* btdc which allows for easier starting, but is not stellar for higher rpms where the timing curve retards. The sai2 module retards the timing at starting speeds and steps up for a healthy idle...then as speed increases it rolls into an advance for power. Sai2 is 2nd generation Slope Advance Ignition. They may be on a 3rd generation by now

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
When you say SAI2 modual is this contained inside the coil or a seperate unit ?

svk said:
No Worst case he’s out a half hour of fiddling around.

Ya know I agree.... I'm thinking .015 off the leading side of the key, maybe .020 clocking it CCW

They don’t rev overly high, If I remember mine
was happier at 10,400, I put it higher and it cut slower,
so doubt timing advance would help, if it was revving higher
then may be.
Short bar helps them, so does a chain that’s not overly tight.

There is a new CS3510 out, they fixed the only thing I didnt
like which was the fuel cap, the new saw uses a standard screw
in as opposed to screw over.
The new saw looses the P at the end of the model, looks like
Echo are cheaping them up, it looks lighter, only Two av springs,
it is physically lighter too and looks it, has a shade more power though.

When they come in I will be looking whether to buy one or go with the
352 model with the wonky fuel cap, mine was a pain to seal, saw could sit
for days full, then all of a sudden there would be pool of fuel that came
out the cap, couldn’t trust it after that.

Back