Echo CS-310 with strange comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2lumbarleft

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just finished helping a friend muffler modify his Echo CS-310. We had a brand new Oregon 16” double guard bar and chain combo (consumer stuff) and decided to use that in the test run as well. The saw transformed into a little beast. We could bury the bar in maple, and unless you actually leaned on it, it would not bog. It was cutting plenty fast for a 30.5 cc engine.

Immediately thereafter, I had to test run several Poulan saws that I tuned for another friend. The saws were the Poulan Pro PP4218a and a Poulan P4018WT, the latter of which had a muffler mod. Both Poulan saws had a fresh WoodlandPro 16" bar and 30LP56 chain. Both saws could bury the bar if you were patient, and the Wild Thing did have more torque in the cut, probably due to the make shift muffler mod. However, unless you run the two Poulan’s side by side, you probably wouldn’t notice what a huge difference there is in AV. The PP4218A was very smooth running and did not transfer hardly any vibration up the left arm. The wild thing was more like a vibration machine with a wood cutting attachment. If any homeowner is considering buying one of these cheaper saws, pay the extra $20 for the Poulan PP4218A. You get a chromed cylinder and a much more likable machine, although the new Strato engine takes a minute longer to warm up before you can properly accelerate the saw.

Here is the point to all this. That little Echo CS-310 out cut both of the Poulans. The echo had exactly 150 psi compression. The wild Thing had 153 psi, and the Poulan Pro started brand new with 162 psi but was an even 150 psi after the test cuts (probably due to some oil in the engine falsely raising initial numbers). If anyone out there is worried that the little Echo CS-310 can’t pull a 16” bar, forget about it. The muffler mod seemed to increase power nearly 50%. I know that sounds crazy, but you have to try it yourself to believe it. I have also done this to the CS-352, CS-400, CS-450, and CS-500P. The CS-500P was helped the least. Perhaps barely a 10% increase in power (maybe less). While I have not run the CS-400 side by side with the CS-500P, I would guess there is not going to be much of a difference, and there is a 10cc difference between the two. In my opinion, If you want the most bang for your buck, the two saws to work on are the CS-310 and the CS-400. The CS-310 weighed in at 11.47 pounds with the 16” bar and chain, plus full load of fuel and oil. I’ll be using mine this summer for clearing out small ash, pine and maple along some right of ways with fence lines. That should save the back plenty of abuse. Cheers, hope this was of interest.

I modded my cs400 and as you say, the difference is very noticable. Also just bought an Echo straight shaft trimmer and have been eyeballing the muffler on it, all the while with scolding looks from the Mrs.

I modded my cs400 and as you say, the difference is very noticable. Also just bought an Echo straight shaft trimmer and have been eyeballing the muffler on it, all the while with scolding looks from the Mrs.

I understand your dilemma. Chainsaws and the Mrs. can both be equally dangerous. Sometimes the Chainsaw is quieter however.

Oh, so that's what is meant by the phrase "tuned pig rich?" ;)

i just did this same mod to a cs-450P , it did have one of those low-kick chains and a 20" bar-- wouldn't cut squat, lame was the word.

i opened up the muff, pulled the limiters and re-tuned the carb, put a windsor 16" pro bar and 16" chisel chain-- and now this thing is a little speed demon!

my guess is the muff and carb tune made at least 40% more power than stock. --before were talking husky rancher 450--after were talking 357XP--

these little echos respond really well--

I just finished helping a friend muffler modify his Echo CS-310. We had a brand new Oregon 16” double guard bar and chain combo (consumer stuff) and decided to use that in the test run as well. The saw transformed into a little beast. We could bury the bar in maple, and unless you actually leaned on it, it would not bog. It was cutting plenty fast for a 30.5 cc engine.

Immediately thereafter, I had to test run several Poulan saws that I tuned for another friend. The saws were the Poulan Pro PP4218a and a Poulan P4018WT, the latter of which had a muffler mod. Both Poulan saws had a fresh WoodlandPro 16" bar and 30LP56 chain. Both saws could bury the bar if you were patient, and the Wild Thing did have more torque in the cut, probably due to the make shift muffler mod. However, unless you run the two Poulan’s side by side, you probably wouldn’t notice what a huge difference there is in AV. The PP4218A was very smooth running and did not transfer hardly any vibration up the left arm. The wild thing was more like a vibration machine with a wood cutting attachment. If any homeowner is considering buying one of these cheaper saws, pay the extra $20 for the Poulan PP4218A. You get a chromed cylinder and a much more likable machine, although the new Strato engine takes a minute longer to warm up before you can properly accelerate the saw.

Here is the point to all this. That little Echo CS-310 out cut both of the Poulans. The echo had exactly 150 psi compression. The wild Thing had 153 psi, and the Poulan Pro started brand new with 162 psi but was an even 150 psi after the test cuts (probably due to some oil in the engine falsely raising initial numbers). If anyone out there is worried that the little Echo CS-310 can’t pull a 16” bar, forget about it. The muffler mod seemed to increase power nearly 50%. I know that sounds crazy, but you have to try it yourself to believe it. I have also done this to the CS-352, CS-400, CS-450, and CS-500P. The CS-500P was helped the least. Perhaps barely a 10% increase in power (maybe less). While I have not run the CS-400 side by side with the CS-500P, I would guess there is not going to be much of a difference, and there is a 10cc difference between the two. In my opinion, If you want the most bang for your buck, the two saws to work on are the CS-310 and the CS-400. The CS-310 weighed in at 11.47 pounds with the 16” bar and chain, plus full load of fuel and oil. I’ll be using mine this summer for clearing out small ash, pine and maple along some right of ways with fence lines. That should save the back plenty of abuse. Cheers, hope this was of interest.

You have everything right, the CS400 is the saw everyone loves as it cuts close to the CS500p and weighs 13# vs 14.5 # ready to cut. The old CS520 is still my favorite 50cc saw. Steve

Here is the point to all this. That little Echo CS-310 out cut both of the Poulans. The echo had exactly 150 psi compression. The wild Thing had 153 psi, and the Poulan Pro started brand new with 162 psi but was an even 150 psi after the test cuts (probably due to some oil in the engine falsely raising initial numbers). If anyone out there is worried that the little Echo CS-310 can’t pull a 16” bar, forget about it. The muffler mod seemed to increase power nearly 50%. I know that sounds crazy, but you have to try it yourself.

This is a old post but someone may read it so here is my question.
I have a cs310 and love it but am Thinking about selling it and buying a C's 352.
Is there enough difference in those saws to make the switch?

I have a good number of various Echo chainsaws and love them! Yes, there is a little more power with the Echo CS-352. The weight difference is perhaps two ounces more, despite the official weight advertisement of being identical, and the additional 3.5 cc does give a boost in torque. It all boils down to what you are cutting and how much of it. Unless you are going to sell your saw for an excellent price, and pick up a new CS-352 for a bargain, I would say forget about it unless you are a professional arborist and time is money. The CS-352 is rated about 500 rpm higher, which is advantageous in limbing, but is of little difference to me, as I adjust my saws for maximum pulling power in the cut channel. Many people set their limbing saws for maximum rpm to achieve faster chain speed, but that limits you if you have to make a deeper cut. If all you are cutting is 1" to "3" limbs, your little CS-310 will easily keep its rpm in the peak of the power curve. With some saws, if you overload the bar, rpm drops and so does horsepower like a downward spiral until your chain stops in the cut. I assume you have muffler modded your CS-310 and removed the limiters already. I can tell you from personal experience that when adjust properly with a sharp chain, I can bury the 14" bar from a CS-310 in medium hardwoods if I don't bear down. I always buy a CS-352 instead of a CS-310 because I use it for clearing shooting lanes on my hunting land. Most of the time, I am snipping off 2" aspen and baby pine trees, but occasionally I have a larger tree down. I have no problem slicing up a 12" to 14" pine or poplar with the CS-352. Yes, I could bring a bigger saw, but remember that I might walk two miles with saw and gas in hand, so the light weight is important. If you haven't muffler modded your little CS-310 yet, give that a try before you give up on it. Of course, if you have someone available to buy your CS-310 for $150 I would jump on it, add a few bucks to the pile and move to the CS-352. They can be had for around $190-$210 delivered on Flea Bay. Just remember to remove the limiters and richen the saw up right off the bat. Hope this helps!

One thing I forgot to add, higher up in this thread, you will see a video comparison between a CS-310 and a Stihl MS-170. First off, that CS-310 is set way to rich, and its performance would be enhanced with a muffler mod (which I don't think it has - my saw will blow that one away). Second, remember that the Stihl MS-170 is usually equipped with a .43 gauge pico chain. You can put a .43 gauge bar and chain on your CS-310 and that will also give it a boost when cutting small limbs and brush like buck thorn, but I prefer the .050 gauge for durability and longer life.

I wanted to comment on the poulan part. I have an older craftsman 42cc running a "pro p/c" and a muffler mod with a 18 inch bar and a skip chain. I also had a 4218 with a muffler mod and the 18 inch bar with a semi chisel chain. I gave the 4218 away because it did not seem to have near the power of the craftsman and all around felt lesser quality.

I wouldn't sell a 310 to buy a 352. Not worth the minuscule gain.

Muffler mod your 310 and you'll be well above a stock 352
This. Muff modded 310 cuts very well. I used one to drop and cut up a busted mulberry the other day. I'd like to see how it runs against my new 355t once that saw is broken in completely.

Latest posts

Back