Echo CS-3600 3/8 lp chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul99

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My old Echo CS-3600 saw is now the only saw I have left with .325 chain and would love to switch that saw to 3/8 picco /lopro which seems a far better match for a 36cc saw and, I think, would improve the saw no end.

It appears that this saw shares a clutch drum with the CS3900, CS400EVL, CS440, CS4400, CS510 and CS5100 along with a few John Deere models also.

The only spurs available appear to be 7 tooth .325 so that leaves a rim sprocket which are available... http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...5&pm=1&ds=0&t=1509652704000&ver=0&cspheader=1

But again the only replacement rims I've seen are always 7 tooth .325....

Has anyone out there ever come across a suitable 3/8 lopro rim or successfully made such a convertion on this series of saws before?

Not saying they don't exist but the only 3/8 low profile rims I've seen are Stihl which have a different spline pattern than the one commonly used by Husky, Oregon, and so on.

Not saying they don't exist but the only 3/8 low profile rims I've seen are Stihl which have a different spline pattern than the one commonly used by Husky, Oregon, and so on.
Yes that seems to be about as much as I've found out / seen so far but thought I'd ask the question in case I'd missed something. It's a shame really I reckon it would have made for a far more enjoyable saw to use if it was possible.

Someone had turned down a 404 rim to run smaller chain a while back. But I don't remember if that was for 3/8 LP or .325.
You need start with a larger splined drum than one that can accomidate .325 7 teeth to do that. Turn down the .404 until it is the same size as a Stihl picco rim. Interesting idea of turning one down to .325 size but that is why the small spline in the first place.

The 3/8 7 tooth rims will work for that lp stuff. for 36cc probably won't bang up the drive links very quick. Just be careful pushing the chain back and forth without a glove as it might hang up and cut a finger.
It is my understanding the drum is silver soldered to the spur or rim drive splines so if one wanted it bad enough seems do-able so long as you find the right id for the little needle bearing to stick on there. (use oven method) A custom oiler drive most likely, not sure how that saw is set up.

From Oregon's website for #18720:

Echo
CS-290, CS-300EVL, CS-301, CS-315, CS-351, CS-351VL, CS-360, CS-3600, CS-360EVL, CS-3900, CS-400EVL, CS-440, CS-4400, CS-440EVL, CS-451, CS-452, CS-510,
CS-5100
, CS-510EVL, CS-550, CS-610, CS-610T, CS-302, CS-330, CS-280, CS-500EVL

I can't vouch for it, but that's what it shows.
@Bobby Kirbos has run this on a CS-346 I believe.

I'm running a 3/8-7 SM7 rim on the CS-346 and it runs fine. I do wish that Oregon would make a rim for 3/8LP. Why they don't is a mystery to me.

ETA
I needed to add a drive link to the chain (beyond what the bar calls for). I'm running an Oregon 56 link bar with a 57 link chain.

I do wish that Oregon would make a rim for 3/8LP. Why they don't is a mystery to me.

I do not see any mystery, their vxl or other 91 class chains are supposed to be for saws up to 42cc. Not sure exactly what the Stihl picco comparable to that class of chain is but if you take it apart and get out the calipers it should be good at least to 50cc in my estimation.

I do not see any mystery, their vxl or other 91 class chains are supposed to be for saws up to 42cc. Not sure exactly what the Stihl picco comparable to that class of chain is but if you take it apart and get out the calipers it should be good at least to 50cc in my estimation.
Yeah, they make a 3/8LP chain, but they don't make a drive rim for it. The 3/8 drive rim they make is technically for "standard" 3/8. All of the drives they make for 3/8LP are spur drums.

Latest posts

Back