Echo cs-3900 made in Japan fuel line questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlMaster88

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm not to familiar with this saw and it seems to be an older one. It's a cs-3900 and made in Japan. I don't know if all of them were made in Japan or just certain years? It runs really well but wanted to replace the fuel lines because they are getting alittle hard and look to be original. Problem is the grommet and fuel line are different when you look it up for parts. I didn't get the vent line or impulse line to see what they look like. Also when you look up the parts diagram they show the fuel and vent on the tank coming out right next to each other where my lines are on different corners of the fuel tank. That is why I'm wondering if mine is really old or the Made in Japan version is different. Is anyone in tune with this model saw and tell me anything they know?

Your saw should be the larger sibling of the slightly more widespread CS-3600. Try seeing here if it rings a bell: https://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/echo/diagrams/cs3600/
They were Made in Japan like all non-EPA products before Kioritz reorganized their manufacturing sites following the merger with Shindaiwa.

That grommet is a very common Echo part: 90% of Echo dealers should have it in stock either new or used. If you have troubles finding it post a picture and I'll see if I can find one for you.
As fuel line goes, don't bother with the original: those 90's Echo saws use standard fuel tubes cut to size, not preshaped tubes like Stihl. Just buy a piece of fuel tubing with the right diameter and cut it to size. If you have a place selling moped/minimoto spares in your are they should have several sizes in stock: just head there with a sample.

I got two saws I'm fixing up. The one Echo cs-3900 and an old i think 1984 026. The fuel lines are still decent in both but the stihl leaks at the built in grommet at the tank. everyone says go with the newer style fuel line for the 026 but i have to drill the tank and the line is much larger. so I don't know what I'm doing yet there. As for the cs-3900 I do use the online diagram but I'll get you some pictures to. I went to a local dealer and ordered the grommet and fuel line with the echo part numbers but they are different from whats on there. one of the mechanics told me these jap chains had issues with something in the metal or paint that was dangerous. ever hear of anything ?

The best way to order parts from Echo and Shindaiwa is to go to the dealer with the sample at hand a picture of the model and serial number, they seem to have some issues even when ordering parts using the serial number alone, especially for stuff imported before 2009. I have had a lot of issues with Shindaiwa that way: Europe is not their premier market and it does show.

You should make a separate post for the 026 ful tank. For me is a no issue: the local Stihl dealer still has a bunch of these original version 024/26 fuel lines with inbuilt grommet. I don't know if Stihl still sells them or they just have a big stock. They aren't cheap but they are a straight fit.

The older Stihl 026 fuel line in the tank part is straight and short like the filter goes straight up and down and the end of the filter sits on the bottom of the tank vertical . the newer 026 fuel line is an S shape inside the tank and longer but the S shape holds it high also where it seems it would have fuel issues as the tank gets low.

The older Stihl 026 fuel line in the tank part is straight and short like the filter goes straight up and down and the end of the filter sits on the bottom of the tank vertical . the newer 026 fuel line is an S shape inside the tank and longer but the S shape holds it high also where it seems it would have fuel issues as the tank gets low.

Yes, that's the one.
If you need the old and straight fuel line for the 024/026 just ask a Stihl dealership for part 1121 358 7705 . No need to drill anything, just swap it around and you are good to go.

On the stihl. Little redneck hint. I just run echo black oem line now with the stihl grommet. Cut old line off both ends if bad. Run small barb fuel filter like a husky etc.

Now if owners want to pay for oem line, then thats what they get.

On the stihl. Little redneck hint. I just run echo black oem line now with the stihl grommet. Cut old line off both ends if bad. Run small barb fuel filter like a husky etc.

Now if owners want to pay for oem line, then thats what they get.

Echo OE fuel line coils are not available in Europe, not even as a special order. Trust me, I've tried to order it and ran against a rubber wall at three different dealerships. Ordering from the US is possible but given shipping charges buying Tygon is just cheaper. You'd think the damn thing flies across the ocean in First Class. But you can order pre-cut fuel lines for an arm and a leg. :laugh:
Then people wonder why everybody here is buying Stihl or Chinese, nothing in between...

Latest posts

Back