echo cs 400 hesitates

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve sheldon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm new to the chainsaw world and I bought a echo cs 400. Runs pretty good but the saw hesitates when building to max rpm throttle response is sluggish. I did adjust the carb per manual to no effect mind you the same is new could tanks of gas through it. Just need some advise

check fuel line/filter etc... lightly seat both set screws low and high counting your turns in then readjust them both....

Yeah there is a warranty. It still has the limiters on it. No matter how I adjust the h and l it still has a hesitation. When at idle I hit the throttle it takes a second before it starts to rev almost like it bogs a second then goes

Yea you need the limiters off.....if you don't want to do that.... And yes that will void your warranty... try letting it idle for a bit see if that will help .....i ended up a full turn out past factory for it to rev well.....and start well.....they get better as they break in also.....

my boss
Yeah there is a warranty. It still has the limiters on it. No matter how I adjust the h and l it still has a hesitation. When at idle I hit the throttle it takes a second before it starts to rev almost like it bogs a second then goes
i will go check one of my cs 400 saws see how many turns it is out....low and high.... the one that still has the cat in it....non muffler mod

My dealer tuned my echo saw when I bought it and they removed the limiters before it left the store. I bought a new second hand husqvarna and tried tuning it and had exactly your problem. I took it to them they cut off the limiting tabs and the saw has power like I wouldn't have believed and revs up fast.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Ok great I'll take limiters off I planed on doing a muffler mod anyways after I ran more tanks of gas through it to break it in more

my stock newish one no muffler mod is at right around 2 full turns from light seat on the low and 2.5 on the high....thats here in florida and a wee bit rich still...my muffler modded on i had to adjust it a few times so its different....this is in florida on a warm day.... hope it gets you close.....this setting the throttle is pretty good and cleans up a lil late in the cut ...

I'm in ny Temps here's are stable mid 60s right now. I'll try the limiter removal voids warranty then so be it.

if your careful with the tabs you can put them back.... no one will know.... i think once you richen it up a lil bit you will have it running good....

It is posible that there is also something minor wrong with the carb: the rubber diaphragms could be slightly messed up, or the metering lever might need adjustment. Stuff happens even on new saws. Might still want to let the dealer have a try before you pull the limiters and own the problem.

Otherwise, check the carb if messing with the needles beyond the limiters does not help you.

Philbert

on those saws will almost ALWAYS will have to go richer on the lower side by min 1/2 turn past the limit,, in other words pull the limiters ,,leave the tabs on and tune the carb,, put the limiters back on after it is tuned correctly,,, by doing it right echo will never know you pulled the limiters,,,, echo techs are not allowed to pull the limiters on them,,, i know an echo tech

Definitely get those limiters off and richen up the L and possibly H side as well. They tend to come set lean from the factory and the limiters will not allow a proper tune, especially in cooler weather IME.

Back