echo cs-400 vs. stihl ms-250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the 400,,,,,,,,,i have run echos for a long time,,love them,,,,never had any problems out of them

The CS400 is rated for 300 hours, the Stihl MS250 is rated for 50 hours I think. Says a lot about the quality of these 2 saws. Cutting speed should be close, keep in mind either you or your dealer will need the pull the limiter caps and adjust richer on the Echo for sure, it might run without adjusting but will be gutless and might burn up from being to lean. Steve

Anyone on here that doesn't think Stihl would put a 300 EPA rating on thier cheapo homeowner saws if they could pass the EPA test after 300 hours . The quality is not there. I'm sure a Stihl MS250 will run more than 50 hours but it will be dead a long time before the Echo CS400. Take the orange and white glasses off. Steve

Hey question about buying a used echo. I always hear about adjusting the rich setting when you buy one. My question is what if I buy one used and the previous owner never did this? Is it more pron to blowing up, or as long as its still running its good to go and just adjust it right away when i get it?

Hey question about buying a used echo. I always hear about adjusting the rich setting when you buy one. My question is what if I buy one used and the previous owner never did this? Is it more pron to blowing up, or as long as its still running its good to go and just adjust it right away when i get it?

I'd do a compression test or pull the muffler and have a look if possible on any used saw. Steve

I'd do a compression test or pull the muffler and have a look if possible on any used saw. Steve

What should a used saw pull on a compression test? What should I look for looking at the P/C? This would be for a cs-510, if I ever get around to buying it.

Around 150 to 155 is good , 140 on the low side with a good tester. With the muffler off the piston should be fairly smooth with minor vertical lines OK and the rings loose . Scoring is easy to see , most times the rings will be stuck in the grooves. Steve

Last edited:
Around 150 to 155 is good , 140 on the low side with a good tester. With the muffler off the piston should be fairly smooth with minor vertical lines OK and the rings loose . Scoring is easy to seem , most times the rings will be stuck in the grooves. Steve

Rings stuck in the groves is bad? Or is that normal? Or is that how scoring happens?

Don't know if this matters to you or not.

Echo CS-400 made in Japan/USA

Stihl MS-250 made in China

The Echo is a well made quality saw. :greenchainsaw:

:cheers:

The CS400 is rated for 300 hours, the Stihl MS250 is rated for 50 hours I think. Says a lot about the quality of these 2 saws. Cutting speed should be close, keep in mind either you or your dealer will need the pull the limiter caps and adjust richer on the Echo for sure, it might run without adjusting but will be gutless and might burn up from being to lean. Steve

Does anybody have a site that shows pics on how to pull limiter caps? Do you trim the caps or just chuck'em? I have run three tank fulls on the one Echo that I have and was thinking of tuning the high side as soon as my tach shows up.

Does anybody have a site that shows pics on how to pull limiter caps? Do you trim the caps or just chuck'em? I have run three tank fulls on the one Echo that I have and was thinking of tuning the high side as soon as my tach shows up.

It's best to tune them right away being set as lean as the are. Thread a drywall screw into the center of the cap , line up the tab with the slot and pull , if you have a warrenty tune the saw then put them back on otherwise grind off the tabs and reinstall. Tuning open the high up untill your sure it's way rich, 1 turn or so then turn back in a little at a time untill it cuts the fastest, not revs the fastest. These saws sound rich from the factory due to the rev limiter. Steve

Pulling the limiter caps out was simple as was getting then to run richer and much better. My cs 530 and 680 were adjusted at the dealer and ran fine as is, but my 370 was bought right off a shelf and I could sure see why people would be down on them initially because of a disappointing lack of power. All that changed with a richer setting and it's quite a runner now and might be my favorite saw for limbing. Much better than my old ms250 ever was. I'll bet a cs400 would be an excellent saw with some richer settings.

The 250 is made at the Va. Beach plant. Those guys know how to build a saw.;) The echo? maybe japan, china, haiti, somalia, etc, don't know or care.:laugh: The 5 year warranty is BS, read the fine print. The echos are built well but it will be dead long before the Stihl. Don't let the homeowner construction of the 250 fool ya, great saw.

?????where do you get your info i agree with you 2000 i know they are built in va beach as i have been there, no stihl ever has or ever will be made in china lets not turn this into a saw bashing thread they both make good saws i think he just wants opinions and reasons supporting those opinions???? what is going on here

Back