echo cs-400 vs. stihl ms-250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way tell me more about the limiter caps. So when I purchased the cs-400 new in 2015 it ran great. Very smooth and snappy. Then after about 5-10 hours of use it was hard to start, has to idle like forever before will take fuel and or will not stay running. Now during last use in 35F temps it won’t hardly take fuel at all and continues to die. I replaced the fuel filter, spark plug, air filter, and checked spark arrestor. Still no improvement. So figured at time since under warranty I would take to first dealer. They adjusted the carb and said was fixed. Seemed fine for first hour or two then started to die again. Brought it home from Ohio and dropped off at local dealer. Same thing as they tweaked carb and thought all set. Long story short this same senerio has happened 4 times now at 3 different dealers. At this point I’m at a loss as are the dealers. With this said do the limiter caps need to be removed in order to achieve appropriate amount of adjustment required for proper tuning? If so one would think a dealer would do this but honestly I don’t know to what extent they tried adjusting the carb. Also seems weird that Echo would restrict something to a point there’s not enough adjustment to properly tune the equipment. Thoughts?
Thank you.

You might have scored the piston from being tuned lean, pull the muff off and look. Steve

Might not be the carb. To date I've had two Echo coils fail in similar fashion. They start fine cold, run fine for a while, then start acting up when fully heat soaked. Thru me off at first because with coils it's typically they work or they don't.

Echo used some re-limiting and timing-retard modules in their coils. I'm pretty sure the CS-370/400's have the timing retard version. Might be something the dealer needs to look at if adjusting the carb isn't correcting the issues.......Cliff

Back