Echo CS-4920

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tJKrider

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an Echo CS-4910 and am very happy with it. I like the simplicity and it always starts easily. I now see they have replaced that model with the CS-4920. Looks to pickup some features from their other newer saws... Maybe the 4910 was just a short-term gap filler? I now see they gone to a stratified engine, added a purge bulb, a bit more weight, etc... Anyone have experience with this model??

Dang, I hope this new strato saw doesn’t suck. I really like my 490, it’s not winning races but it’s bulletproof and has great ergonomics. It looks like the 4920 is a variant of the 4510 instead of the 490 so it’s a different saw entirely.

It looks like the 501 is still available so hopefully it remains that way.

4920 is a clamshell saw like the 4510 was.

Wish they would have just updated the 4910 since better built but could use the features of the 4310 7310

Hope the 501 stays and gets updated then.
I bought the 4910 as, hopefully, a long-term saw... Looks like I pulled the trigger in time.

Damn, I was looking to get a 4910. It's a pro quality saw. If the 4920 is a clamshell, does that make it homeowner class saw?

Damn, I was looking to get a 4910. It's a pro quality saw. If the 4920 is a clamshell, does that make it homeowner class saw?
Looks like Echo is starting to switch to a cheaper chassis for their homeowner line.

They’re still available on different sites and eBay so you should jump on that if you’re interested.

I got a 4910 (good deal as well). Glad i got it when I did, 4920 doesn't look like a positive move. I do have some clamshell saws, no problems so far (other than an MS250 that is a beast to start but doubt that has anything to do with being a clamshell design).
My only concern is future parts availability with as short a time as the 4910 was in the line-up.

I got a 4910 (good deal as well). Glad i got it when I did, 4920 doesn't look like a positive move. I do have some clamshell saws, no problems so far (other than an MS250 that is a beast to start but doubt that has anything to do with being a clamshell design).
My only concern is future parts availability with as short a time as the 4910 was in the line-up.
MS250s seem hit or miss... Mine starts right up but I had to adjust the carb a little to get it like that.

I hate to send you guys back a few years in time but this saw is one of my favorite mid-size Echo chainsaws:
1680043653768.jpeg
CS-4500. You can adjust the idle without a screwdriver and boost the oil flow as needed with a button press. No chain brake, but I cannot remember when I ever needed to use one on any saw that I own. When I rebuilt this saw, about the only thing it needed was a couple of caps (fuel and oil). The original owner said, "If you can fix it, it's yours to keep. My chainsaw days are over." So, I restored it.

@modman Can you offer some details on the carb adjustments you did? TIA.
I'm no wizard, mind you, but followed some common advice. When I got the saw it would stall when idling and was sometimes finicky when hot to restart. I adjusted "LA" until the chain started moving then backed it off a bit until it stopped. That allowed me to let the saw warm and continue without having to continually restart. For "L" (with the saw idling) I turned it CCW/out until rpms dropped, then CW/in until they rose and then dropped. Did this several times to get a feel for the halfway point and then backed it off maybe ~1/4 turn CCW from there. I returned to LA after this and tweaked that a bit so the chain wasn't moving. "H" seemed fine and I confirmed with a tach, so left it as-is. If anything it may have a bit of rpm in reserve but it cuts fine while loaded so didn't see a need to change it. Saw is stock, by the way, save for a new filter, plug, and muffler.

Great throttle response now and has not given me any trouble starting hot or cold. Only time will tell, however, 🤣

I'm no wizard, mind you, but followed some common advice. When I got the saw it would stall when idling and was sometimes finicky when hot to restart. I adjusted "LA" until the chain started moving then backed it off a bit until it stopped. That allowed me to let the saw warm and continue without having to continually restart. For "L" (with the saw idling) I turned it CCW/out until rpms dropped, then CW/in until they rose and then dropped. Did this several times to get a feel for the halfway point and then backed it off maybe ~1/4 turn CCW from there. I returned to LA after this and tweaked that a bit so the chain wasn't moving. "H" seemed fine and I confirmed with a tach, so left it as-is. If anything it may have a bit of rpm in reserve but it cuts fine while loaded so didn't see a need to change it. Saw is stock, by the way, save for a new filter, plug, and muffler.

Great throttle response now and has not given me any trouble starting hot or cold. Only time will tell, however, 🤣
Thanks for the detailed response sir.
Mine seems to run well if i can get it started. The pull on the recoil is a bear! Aftermarket recoil works a little better than factory but still tough. I mean damn i know I'm getting up in years but this thing is ridiculous. If/when i get it started it is a nice cutting machine, only reason it still lives here.

I hate to send you guys back a few years in time but this saw is one of my favorite mid-size Echo chainsaws:
View attachment 1070322
CS-4500. You can adjust the idle without a screwdriver and boost the oil flow as needed with a button press. No chain brake, but I cannot remember when I ever needed to use one on any saw that I own. When I rebuilt this saw, about the only thing it needed was a couple of caps (fuel and oil). The original owner said, "If you can fix it, it's yours to keep. My chainsaw days are over." So, I restored it.

Had many of those in orange and yellow. The JD 450V to go with the JD 800v . Pics from 1 yellow taken apart and the other yellow was bought from original owner years ago.

Also dont forget the 4600.

The 5000 echo I thought fit the 50cc bill closer to the 4910 501 though. 4500 reminded me of the 346 OE 42mm saws.

e450.jpge450xxx.jpge450xxxx.jpge450vv.jpge450vvvvv.jpge450vvv.jpg

Hello all, I have CS-4910 I like it, starts good, cuts good. My question is; Does anyone know of a better quality air filter? OEM or aftermarket? Seams to plug up fast in dusty conditions. Thank you.

Back