ECHO CS-520 Advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I went and took a look at it. It was in decent shape. It was also a dog. I tried to walk away, but the guy kept goin down in price. I finally got a somewhat lightly used cs-520 for $100 from a very nice old fella.

Here's what I have found so far:

It has a freakin 20" bar on it. Yeah, I thot that may be a bit much, then I looked at the bar and chain: It has 3/8s on it! It is a Windsor Speed tip bar and you can still see most the paint and some of the writing. So not only is it a 20" bar, but it isn't laminated, either. So, for a 50cc, this thing has a bit of weight. Easily a lb more than my 250. The chain is a full skip Oregon full chisel, brand new, 70 linker.

I cleaned it out, trimmed the tabs, removed the screen, and messed with the adjustments. It was insanely lean. And is it just me, or does the low adjustment on the 520 seriously affect the idle? I had to richen the L up a lot to get it to idle decently. I set it to 4 stroke on the top end pretty well. It does sound like about 13.5 mebbe 14. It is not limited - I had it screaming before I richened it up.

So, ok, I take it and the MS250 - both with sharp chains, to the fir wood pile. The 520 absolutely buried it. It pulls this 3/8 70 link chain through fir better than a bud's totally stock 346XP does it with a 325 chain. I need to make a video of this thing before it explodes. No camera until tomorrow, though. I'll have more video tomorrow. Me and sawfun9 will be cutting on some big Fir.

You didn't mention a muff modd which really wakes this series up. Steve

I'll bet it holds its own well in your video. I am currently running my 530 a lot and it runs with ease against two 260's.

It's all kosher for the 3/8ths. I have heard of a few set up from the factory for 3/8ths, but not with a 20" bar. And a Windsor speed tip certainly wasn't stock. I'll only be running skip chain on this one. I do not mind it, tho. It oils plenty for it, and cuts well enough. Now I can use the same files and chain I do on my 372xp - that's sorta nice. Same gauge, too.

Now you've done it, all the 346 xp users will want to run and trade there saws for echo's...................can't wait to see Saw Troll's comments or Sawing Redneck's.

I'll take a guess!
You can't believe what an actual owner says, because the specs from Iknowitall.com says the owner is wrong.

It will fall over on its side because the balance is so bad!

The Echos are a great choice for females, but you'll find that the chicks who use Huskys Jonsereds or Stihls are always better-looking than the Echo chicks. Apparently the Echo brand is a popular choice amongst the gay community as well

:msp_thumbdn: Another

:msp_thumbdn: worthless

:msp_thumbdn: pgg

:msp_thumbdn: post.

I may try that soon here. I dunno how far I can go with one, tho, since it does have to be to Euro standards for arborist work. Any suggestions? Should I just make the current exhaust larger? Is the muffler empty or chambered?

I did my wood cutting friends CS-520 muffler the same way I did my CS-4400 muffler. (they appear to be identical at least in design) Take the spark screen/deflector cover off, take screen out, you should see a pipe pointing out-take a die grinder/dremel with a burr and grind around the pipe ID until it is broke loose from the case. All that's left holding the pipe is small tack weld further back-just take a pliers and rock the pipe back and forth till the tack weld breaks & out comes the pipe. We both put just the spark screen back on but not the louvered cover. Of course the carb setting need to be re-adjusted. Took around a half hour to mod the muffler and re tune. If you want pictures let me know and I can take some.

Thanks for the info. I'll poke around at it.

I adjusted the idle way way out and lost the screw. I pulled her apart, turns out it was just stuck. So I oiled it, and now I just need to find another idle screw.

I did my wood cutting friends CS-520 muffler the same way I did my CS-4400 muffler. (they appear to be identical at least in design) Take the spark screen/deflector cover off, take screen out, you should see a pipe pointing out-take a die grinder/dremel with a burr and grind around the pipe ID until it is broke loose from the case. All that's left holding the pipe is small tack weld further back-just take a pliers and rock the pipe back and forth till the tack weld breaks & out comes the pipe. We both put just the spark screen back on but not the louvered cover. Of course the carb setting need to be re-adjusted. Took around a half hour to mod the muffler and re tune. If you want pictures let me know and I can take some.

OK, it seems the 520 bar mount is the standard, and ubiquitous, 41 series Husky mount. Can anyone else confirm or deny this? It seems to be what I am finding. Wow, I wish Bailey's bar shopping were a bit more specific and easier to search like on many other sites. WOah, wait a sec - just found the Baileys bar selector. Derrrrr...

Another questions:

What parts from what other Echo's are compatible? Will a cs-400 bar fit? With the muffler fit? Etc.

Thanks!

Last edited:
OK, it seems the 520 bar mount is the standard, and ibiquitous, 41 series Husky mount. Can anyone else confirm or deny this? ...(

A good source for this sort of information is the Oregon Big Book, which is available online. Here is a link to the relevant page:

Oregon Big Catalog 2011

For most Oregon bar types the CS-520 bar mount is the K041.

If you go to the front of the Big Book you can find an index:

Oregon Big Catalog 2011

This index has links to lots of useful information, including a page about the numbering system used by Oregon.

I hope this helps.

Doug Fir
(my first post! :cool2:)

I've found that my 530 b/c is the same as those sold at Lowe's for husky and I'd bet the 520 is the same. They want a fortune for the echo branded bars at the dealer and I can get either husky or oregon branded much cheaper at Lowe's.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. Yeah, it does seem to be the Husky 41 mount many other saws use. I am gonna order a pro lite 28" for it. <- EDIT - that sholda read 18"

Last edited:
OK Echo Guys,

I got the CS-520 running like a top now. She actually sounds a little angry. I pulled the muffler and added a 1/2" hole right next to the original pipe. That muffler is heavy for it's size, too. I really didn't have anything to remove the pipe with, so I just used a high speed drill bit and added a hole right next to it since it goes directly past the baffle.
large.jpg

Back