Echo CS-520 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warailroader

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My local Craigslist has an "almost new" Echo CS-520 for sale. However the body of the saw is white/gray not red/orange and that's something I've never seen. Is this a different type of Echo, maybe a pro vs. homeowner? And if I decide to look at this saw what should I look for in problems?

Thanks!!

The grey models are early/mid 90s vintage if I remember correctly. Still Echos though. I think they changed the color so they weren't orange like the other saws. Some consider the grey models the 'dark' years for echo, as they were the models that gave the brand a bad reputation. I believe its when they leaned the saws way down to give themselves more "pollution credits" for their trimmers and other OPE. If its in really good, low use condition, and the price is low enough, grab it. Fatten up the high side and it'll do good. Muffler mod also.

the gray cs520's were made up until around 06, maybe 2007. but things may be slightly different in canada. very good saw. strong, light and well balanced. good antivibe. muffler mod a must.
this is a friends cs520. made in 2006.
okor4h.jpg

33af8sm.jpg

stick to 16-18" .325 bar/chain. they will do a 20" but they struggle. this one has a 20" but rarely cuts anything bigger than 12"-16". he likes the extra length for trimming and limbling.

Howdy,

I have a 520 and I think its a good saw. I would not pay new saw prices for one though. If its like new for real and not scored, I would have no problem paying up to 200 for one. I like them.

v/r

Mike

The grey models are early/mid 90s vintage if I remember correctly. Still Echos though. I think they changed the color so they weren't orange like the other saws. Some consider the grey models the 'dark' years for echo, as they were the models that gave the brand a bad reputation. I believe its when they leaned the saws way down to give themselves more "pollution credits" for their trimmers and other OPE. If its in really good, low use condition, and the price is low enough, grab it. Fatten up the high side and it'll do good. Muffler mod also.

The CS 510 520 and later orange 530 saws were the start of the really good models but all needed tuning and muff modd to perform really good. Or send to Mastermind as in the vid above. Steve

CS-510's/520's are excellent saws. They were WAY too lean as delivered from the factory. I would NOT purchase one without removing the muffler and taking a look at the piston, and doing a compression test.

They only need the limiter caps removed and some fuel added at all levels, and a simple muffler mod to become a really strong running/long lasting saw. I've been running mine for over 10 years now, it is one of my favorite saws.....Cliff

The Mastermind thread was of a saw I used to own and sold to a member in Florida. I wish I had not sold that saw now. Very dependable, easy starting, and it was wicked in the cut.

Just bought one today mov sell for 30.00 owner said won’t start hasn’t for over a year changed plug emptied out fuel took off muffler piston looked good gave it a shot down plug hole fired up starting pulling fuel wondering if porting it would bring it alive

Wow, this thread has been idle for a while.

Anyhow, that saw doesn NOT need porting anyplace. Just open up the muffler a bit and enjoy it. Those are strong running 50cc saws in stock form even though it's a clamshell design.......

Back