Echo cs-590 help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wise Guy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have an Echo CS590 with a Oregon 24" guide bar and chain. Problem is the 2 studs that clamp the bar and chain bar are a little loose. The studs are 8mm and the guide bar slit is 12.5 mm. So the bar tip can move 6" or more before the studs are tightened.

I'm no professional but I'm wondering if thats acceptable and perhaps unsafe? Comments are gratefully welcome. I thought the Oregon bar would work as well and be cheaper than the Echo.

Thanks Don

Home Depot has the standard Echo bar for almost $100. I'm so tight but ...........

You can run a 24 inch bar but the mount and drive links on the chain need to match the saw and sprockets
Yeah thanks but got that. Its a 3/8" and .05" chain. Thats not the problem its the guide bar slot which is too large and produces too much slop.
That’s overpriced.
Yeah that $100 is incorrect the price is $93 - still overpriced as you say

Sounds like you have a Stihl bar. Either get the proper bar with the correct mount or buy a adapter. I would never run it like it is either.
Thanks, I did not know there was such an item available. There is an adapter that sits in the slot and should remove any slop.

Yeah thanks but got that. Its a 3/8" and .05" chain. Thats not the problem its the guide bar slot which is too large and produces too much slop.

Yeah that $100 is incorrect the price is $93 - still overpriced as you say
If you're going to keep that bar sounds like you need an adapter
You can run any brand of bar
if you run husky or stihl saws already might be an advantage to running a stihl pattern
Imo easy to match up stock mount and chain dl number just in a 24 inch bar i

If you're going to keep that bar sounds like you need an adapter
You can run any brand of bar
if you run husky or stihl saws already might be an advantage to running a stihl pattern
Imo easy to match up stock mount and chain dl number just in a 24 inch bar i
Yeah I've got an Oregon 24" bar and chain. The adapter should take up the slack between the 8mm studs and 12mm bar slot.

Thanks for the help

I run the D025 mount bars on my CS600P with the use of two hex 8MM x 1.25 nuts that I drill out to fit the Echo studs and minor filing to the two flats of the nut. The oil hole lines up fine and I haven't had any issues with bar oiling. I've found much better deals on the Stihl D025 by Oregon than the D176 bars.

I run the D025 mount bars on my CS600P with the use of two hex 8MM x 1.25 nuts that I drill out to fit the Echo studs and minor filing to the two flats of the nut. The oil hole lines up fine and I haven't had any issues with bar oiling. I've found much better deals on the Stihl D025 by Oregon than the D176 bars.
Thanks but I've bought this now. I hadn't thought about the chain oiler. I gonna find out!

Thanks but I've bought this now. I hadn't thought about the chain oiler. I gonna find out!

With the adapter that I have on my CS-590, I've never had any issue with bar oiling. In my experience, the oil holes on the Stihl mount bar line up well with the Echo oiler with no modifications to the bar.

Back