Echo CS-600P???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian_42

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone have a negative opinion on this saw? I've read a lot of reviews, and going from what people are saying, it's a great saw...
I've always stuck with Husqvarna and Stihl, but comparing pricing on the newer saws that size... it looks like the Echo has the best bang for the buck.
Well, I value the opinions of the members of the AS more then all the consumer reviews (most of which were done after taking the saw out of the box and using it for five minutes...), so what do ya think? I'm in the market for something about that size, should this be my next saw?

I have an Echo CS 600P and love it. First thing I did was trim the carb. adjustment limiters and tuned it a little more rich.

After about 6 tanks of fuel through it, I sent it to Brad and had him port and muffler mod it. That really woke it up. After about
20 tanks of fuel it is running better than ever. Good saw for the money!

I have not heard 1 neg. on this saw. If saw money would allow I'd own one. Best bang for the buck in a 60cc saw.
Shep

Got one...

I have used this saw as my primary firewood saw for two full seasons, this will be it's third. I have not modified the saw in any way. I cut 10 full cords for myself, 4 for Dad and help neighbors, + some for brother inlaw and the likes...roughly 20 cords a year. From my experience the saw is just as advertized, a dang good 60cc saw, I have had no issue at all and would buy another tomorrow morning if needed. I run a 20 inch bar and lgx chain and in my opinion is where you want to be...plenty of power for that combo. We have run Echo's for a long time and this is the best one yet...The smaller saws...not so much and the larger not so much but this 600p is right as rain. (my opinion)

I know that I'm not a pro but for a wood cutter of my size this saw is just about perfect. I would recomend this saw to anyone with the following in mind...it runs a 20" bar...anything larger and I don't think I'd be crazy in love with her like I am...

My opinion as an owner.

HD

HD, that's about as valuable as it gets. Somebody that sticks with a saw for a lot of hours and reviews it for better or for worse. Great post.

I bought one about 2 months back and have done quite a bit of cutting. Once tuned right it wakes up to become even more impressive than it was out of the box. Mine smokes my buddy's ms311. I run stihl square ground full chisel skip most of the time and feel that it helps me get the most out of the saw. I actually climb with this saw when the wood is over about 12" and have 2 hands free. I'm 5'8" and about 150lbs and this saw is light enough for me to use all day without excessive fatigue, though I did feel it after the first day of cutting.

One mod that you must do is strip the paint off the bar down to the bare steel. I did it to mine and now it looks totally badass. :) I also made a more aggressive set of bumper spikes out of an old table saw blade and an outer one to match.

Last edited:
I bought one about 2 months back and have done quite a bit of cutting. Once tuned right it wakes up to become even more impressive than it was out of the box. Mine smokes my buddy's ms311. I run stihl square ground full chisel skip most of the time and feel that it helps me get the most out of the saw. I actually climb with this saw when the wood is over about 12" and have 2 hands free. I'm 5'8" and about 150lbs and this saw is light enough for me to use all day without excessive fatigue, though I did feel it after the first day of cutting.

One mod that you must do is strip the paint off the bar down to the bare steel. I did it to mine and now it looks totally badass. :) I also made a more aggressive set of bumper spikes out of an old table saw blade and an outer one to match.

I'm intrigued, how did you cut the table saw blades? That sounds like an awesome idea...

I am not partial to one brand- most have a good model in their line up. Mastermind built a nice 600p back mid Dec and has a thread on it that you can find using the search feature. He also built my Echo CS520 which is now a screamer. You mentioned price point in your comparison of "like CC models". Have you a Home Depot in your area? (yall know where Im going with this). I picked up a slightly used Makita DCS6401 for $250 which is a mean 64cc saw. Ordered the OEM kit from Baileys for $179 which will take it to 79cc. Maybe a 60cc saw is all you have need for at this time, but might be nice to have options to take it to the next level. Thats what I liked about the Makita. You cant beat a 6401 for a 60cc saw and they can be had for $175-$250 used at Home Depot or Brand New from Baileys for $599.00. JMOH>

sb

I am not partial to one brand- most have a good model in their line up. Mastermind built a nice 600p back mid Dec and has a thread on it that you can find using the search feature. He also built my Echo CS520 which is now a screamer. You mentioned price point in your comparison of "like CC models". Have you a Home Depot in your area? (yall know where Im going with this). I picked up a slightly used Makita DCS6401 for $250 which is a mean 64cc saw. Ordered the OEM kit from Baileys for $179 which will take it to 79cc. Maybe a 60cc saw is all you have need for at this time, but might be nice to have options to take it to the next level. Thats what I liked about the Makita. You cant beat a 6401 for a 60cc saw and they can be had for $175-$250 used at Home Depot or Brand New from Baileys for $599.00. JMOH>

sb

It was a 500P

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/188048.htm

You are absolutely correct. Thanks for catching. I realized the misinformation when I was out with my wife and kids today. Brad is the one that built the 600p and had a video of. Thanks for the correction and keeping the info in the thread accurate.
steven

I'm intrigued, how did you cut the table saw blades? That sounds like an awesome idea...

I used a saber saw and used about 3 blades to get all the cutting done. I love the fact that the lowest spike has the carbide tooth from the sawblade. Looks BA.

BTW, does anyone know who makes the OEM bars for echo saws, including this one?

Back