Echo CS-600P

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slackwolf

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know echos aren't exactly the favorite around here but I'm in the process of tuning a Echo CS-600P with a tach and need some guidance. Echos manuals show 12k-13k rpm is what it is to be tuned on the high side. Already yanked the limiting caps and richened it a bit over stock. Turning 12k right now on tach to be on the safe side for now.

I've had some hearing loss due to working around very large water cooled chillers in very tight mechanical rooms over the past few years. Even with hearing protection, plugs and muffs together, my ears ring for days..... So I am having a tough time hearing the saw 4 stroke when it's rich. I know this is going to make it difficult for tuning so I have a dti tech tach from amicks to help. Can anyone give me pretty good numbers for rpm's on these cs-600p's for it to be rich enough to 4 stroke wot and clean up when loaded up? I'd rather stay closer to rich than lean obviously which is why I left it at 12k wot out of wood but can't hear it 4 stroke at all..... even richened it up where it was turning 11k-11,200 and still couldn't hear it. Used a buddy's stihl MS361 to reference on sound, he swore it was 4 stroking, I couldn't hear it..... so I'm stuck with the tach and numbers unfortunately. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't know how much reading you have done on here. The muffler is said to be stuffed up pretty badly on those. You should look into a muffler mod while you are tinkering. Russ

I don't know how much reading you have done on here. The muffler is said to be stuffed up pretty badly on those. You should look into a muffler mod while you are tinkering. Russ

I'm planning to either do a muffler mod and retune or send the saw off to either mastermind or stumpys customs for mods. Haven't really decided yet.

Anyone have any good pictures of mufflers mods done on these 600p's? Would like to just open up the muffler baffles without straight piping out of the front if possible.

I have a 2012 model of the 600p so it supposedly has the better P&C as far as porting, so kinda on the fence as far as sending it off right now.

I know what you mean about the hearing loss issue. What I have found is that I can't hear what a saw is doing unless the muffler is opened up. After that it's usually easy for me to hear them. I find it's actually easier for me to hear with earplugs in because it takes out the higher pitch noise that I can't discern all that well anyways and then you listen for the lower pitch change in tone. Four stroking is kinda like whah whah whah and then when it cleans up in the cut it's like sizzling bacon.

PS. Wear hearing protection now. I had bad damage from years of fabrication work and I quit doing that type of work 7 years ago. My hearing has somewhat recovered. I no longer have any ringing at all. I still can't hear to talk on the phone very well but I have noticed a gradual improvement talking to people. What I'm saying is don't just think the damage is done. Start wearing plugs/muffs all the time for anything even remotely noisy and you might get some hearing back. At the very least, the ringing could go away like it did for me. You gotta remember you no longer feel the discomfort from something that is damaging so wear plugs even if you don't think you need them

I'm planning to either do a muffler mod and retune or send the saw off to either mastermind or stumpys customs for mods. Haven't really decided yet.

Anyone have any good pictures of mufflers mods done on these 600p's? Would like to just open up the muffler baffles without straight piping out of the front if possible.

I have a 2012 model of the 600p so it supposedly has the better P&C as far as porting, so kinda on the fence as far as sending it off right now.

Mastermind did mine in March. Just go ahead and ship it and don't look back. It will be unbelievable. They gain about 40% with a woods port and mm.

PS. Wear hearing protection now. I had bad damage from years of fabrication work and I quit doing that type of work 7 years ago. My hearing has somewhat recovered. I no longer have any ringing at all. I still can't hear to talk on the phone very well but I have noticed a gradual improvement talking to people. What I'm saying is don't just think the damage is done. Start wearing plugs/muffs all the time for anything even remotely noisy and you might get some hearing back. At the very least, the ringing could go away like it did for me. You gotta remember you no longer feel the discomfort from something that is damaging so wear plugs even if you don't think you need them

I try to keep multiple pairs of plugs or muffs handy. My latest investment was in a set of the surefire EP4 sonic defenders. pretty cool design with the noise brake and comfortable fit. Caught a good deal on them and bought about a dozen pairs. Now about the only times I get to hear the ringing is when hunting..... Wear plugs while hog hunting but deer hunting I just deal with it. Even with plugs AND muffs over them the big older water cooled chillers I work around on occasions get to me after a few hours of listening to it.

So with an opened up muffler the 4 stroking is easier to pick out? That makes sense. Any tips on opening up the muffler without straight piping and preferably without cutting it open or anything that would require re-welding? Have asked for enough favors from my welding buddies lately, I need to lay off them for a while. So anything that just requires a drill or dremel would be perfect lol

I try to keep multiple pairs of plugs or muffs handy. My latest investment was in a set of the surefire EP4 sonic defenders. pretty cool design with the noise brake and comfortable fit. Caught a good deal on them and bought about a dozen pairs. Now about the only times I get to hear the ringing is when hunting..... Wear plugs while hog hunting but deer hunting I just deal with it. Even with plugs AND muffs over them the big older water cooled chillers I work around on occasions get to me after a few hours of listening to it.

So with an opened up muffler the 4 stroking is easier to pick out? That makes sense. Any tips on opening up the muffler without straight piping and preferably without cutting it open or anything that would require re-welding? Have asked for enough favors from my welding buddies lately, I need to lay off them for a while. So anything that just requires a drill or dremel would be perfect lol

I am not at all familiar with the saw in question, but muff modding is as simple as drilling a hole. That's all you have to do. The pipes welded on are just to direct the gases. You can also get little sheet metal deflectors and put one on with self tapping sheet metal screws. Super simple. Hopefully someone that knows your saw can advise where to put a hole but I don;t know what the internal baffles are like so I can't say. And yes, it is much much easier to hear the four stroking when the muffler is opened up.

Mastermind did mine in March. Just go ahead and ship it and don't look back. It will be unbelievable. They gain about 40% with a woods port and mm.

+1

I, also, had mine done by the "Monkey" - Heck, he even burst it's cheery for me :tongue2:

Less than a week after I got it, it was on its way down to him. I don't know what he did to it, besides his "magical" porting and muff. mod (with tube), but it puts our stock MS362 at work to shame...

Sorry, Stump, you where otherwise "busy" at the time...

I have three Masterminded saws, two of which were Mooberized before I cut with them (gawldern fundraisers), but my MS390 I bought new 10 or 11 years ago. Talk about a stuffed up muffler......sheesh! What a difference a woods port, and muffler mod has made.
Go for it, you won't regret it.

There is more left on the plate in a 600P than about any saw I know of. They majorly wake up when ported.

[video=youtube_share;7uc8Lc3aDaE]http://youtu.be/7uc8Lc3aDaE[/video]

Nice video Brad, that ought to quell any doubts the OP might have.

That is my saw in the video and I couldn't be more happy. Brad did a great job as did Randy on my CS 500p. They both are woodcuttin machines.

I have no doubts that porting makes a huge difference in the saw, just hard to spend the 250-300 for all the work right now. Most likely will down road though.

For tuning with or without muffler mod anyone have recommended rpm for tuning by tach? Hopefully after opening up the muffler i can hear the saw 4 stroking. Ive tuned by ear fairly well a few years ago on a few stock stihls but those same saws i cant hear them 4 stroke any longer.

For doing the muffler mod, anyone have suggestion or pictures from one they did without straight piping? Also, never seen this mentioned but after removing the muffler does anyone replace the exhaust gasket with a new gasket or just reuse old gasket or use ultra copper rtv on gasket? Just curious as everything else ive worked on, ive always replaced the Exhaust gasket, especially the harleys.

Thanks

I have no doubt the porting is well worth it and really wakes the saw up. Just sitting on the fence at moment as far as spending the money. Just dropped a couple grand on getting house connected to sewer so getting the echo 600 modified is a bit on back burner for atleast a month or 2. I'm just trying to tune the saw for the time being. Anyone who tuned these saws with a tach with or without muffler mods know a recommended rpm on the H?

I think I will try opening the muffler up a bit and seeing if I can hear it 4 stroking once it's open. I've tuned a couple of my dad's stock stihls by ear a few years ago and could hear the 4 stroke sound then but those same saws now I can't hear when they 4 stroke anymore.

For modding the muffler, anyone have any non straight piping methods they recommend or have any pictures?

Also, with yanking the muffler, reuse or replace the muffler gasket and anyone use ultra copper rtv if they reuse? Just curious since most engines I've always replaced gaskets with new ones anytime I pulled the exhaust. The Harleys being the main one I replaced the gaskets as they crushed more when the headers were torqued. Just thought I'd ask since I've seen no mention of this through anyone talking about muffler mods.

Thanks

I have no doubt the porting is well worth it and really wakes the saw up. Just sitting on the fence at moment as far as spending the money. Just dropped a couple grand on getting house connected to sewer so getting the echo 600 modified is a bit on back burner for atleast a month or 2. I'm just trying to tune the saw for the time being. Anyone who tuned these saws with a tach with or without muffler mods know a recommended rpm on the H?

I think I will try opening the muffler up a bit and seeing if I can hear it 4 stroking once it's open. I've tuned a couple of my dad's stock stihls by ear a few years ago and could hear the 4 stroke sound then but those same saws now I can't hear when they 4 stroke anymore.

For modding the muffler, anyone have any non straight piping methods they recommend or have any pictures?

Also, with yanking the muffler, reuse or replace the muffler gasket and anyone use ultra copper rtv if they reuse? Just curious since most engines I've always replaced gaskets with new ones anytime I pulled the exhaust. The Harleys being the main one I replaced the gaskets as they crushed more when the headers were torqued. Just thought I'd ask since I've seen no mention of this through anyone talking about muffler mods.

Thanks
The 600 is one of the easiest saws to muffler mod.All i did was remove the exhaust deflector and drill a another hole under the defflector next to the pipe. I only put the top part of the deflector back on.you cant even tell its modded until you start it. dont foget to clean the shavings out when done.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back