Echo CS330t--rebuild or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"look and feel" have a lot to do with how guys think of a saw, color too... the stihls have "tude." the dolmar probably has a broad power band. the echos have as much character as vanilla ice cream.
And they use vanilla ice cream to top pecan pie, apple pie, etc. Used to make milkshakes, sundaes----yum! So, vanilla ice cream has a place--and yes, I like it!! (like Echos too)!

I looked up my records of purchases and it looks like my muffler came from a 271T. It was the same size as the 330T and fit without modifications but it looked less restrictive than a 330 muffler that I looked at at my Echo dealer. The reason I bought the 271 muffler was because it was about 1/4 the price of a new muffler.
I took muffler off my 271t with the idea of removing catalyst--it certainly is different than the 330 muffler. If it has a catalyst, it appears the muffler will have to be split. Haven't compared the 2 mufflers!

I looked up my records of purchases and it looks like my muffler came from a 271T. It was the same size as the 330T and fit without modifications but it looked less restrictive than a 330 muffler that I looked at at my Echo dealer. The reason I bought the 271 muffler was because it was about 1/4 the price of a new muffler.
I like cheep. Why pay a lot for for something that is going to get ground out. Cats are a waist of money.

thanks for checking on that. the lower price seems to indicate it might lack a cat. i'd like to get an echo 355t muff. it looks like it might fit a 330/360. what did you think of bikemike's vid? that little 360 kicks butt. i can't get that much out of mine but i think it's due to the altitude here. bikemike really is focused on getting more rpm's, and it seems to be valid.

thanks for checking on that. the lower price seems to indicate it might lack a cat. i'd like to get an echo 355t muff. it looks like it might fit a 330/360. what did you think of bikemike's vid? that little 360 kicks butt. i can't get that much out of mine but i think it's due to the altitude here. bikemike really is focused on getting more rpm's, and it seems to be valid.
Heyduke, look at my post a couple up--I have a brandnew 271--pulled the muffler to remove the cat--couldn't see it. If it has one, it's buried inside the muffler!

Heyduke, look at my post a couple up--I have a brandnew 271--pulled the muffler to remove the cat--couldn't see it. If it has one, it's buried inside the muffler!
if you can't see it, it likely isn't there. it should be in a 1" diameter can, visible from the inlet. if you look on partstree-dot-com you can check the prices of various similar mufflers. the cats cost more. i've been told that the 355t lacks a cat but can't confirm that from observation. most of the recent echo mufflers i've seen can be improved by enlarging the outlet at the spark arrestor. it is possible to make them worse with a bad cat removal if you block the outlets from the can that holds the cat. the best way to do a muffler mod is by splitting the muffler, removing any restrictions and welding it back together with a mig or by brazing.

if you can, get some photos.

What of? The plate I made is 3/8"x ~1.5"x2" 1018 cold roll. Made some stud spacers from some random, probably cold roll, round stock I found on the drop shelf. The carb block "plate is actually something like 1.75" diameter x roughly carb length with three holes in it. Actually have two of those...second one only has the two stud holes in it though. Never put a hole in it for the hose connection...was debating making a "spark plug" replacement for hose connection. Probably should.

What of? The plate I made is 3/8"x ~1.5"x2" 1018 cold roll. Made some stud spacers from some random, probably cold roll, round stock I found on the drop shelf. The carb block "plate is actually something like 1.75" diameter x roughly carb length with three holes in it. Actually have two of those...second one only has the two stud holes in it though. Never put a hole in it for the hose connection...was debating making a "spark plug" replacement for hose connection. Probably should.

i like a hose barb on the carb side. crank my compressor back to 5psi, hook it up and spray the seals with windex. i don't really have a clear image of your rig, but it sounds like you're including the intake boot in the items that will be tested. i was curious if the metal ring that goes between the carb and the boot is missing. some time those get lost when the carb is removed.

Got a better look at 271 muffler today--it does have a cat--can just see the edge of it through engine side hole. It's not like all the others I've seen that are right there in the hole. Would definitely have to split muffler to remove this cat. For now, I'm running mine with cat and carb adj screw caps removed.

Got a better look at 271 muffler today--it does have a cat--can just see the edge of it through engine side hole. It's not like all the others I've seen that are right there in the hole. Would definitely have to split muffler to remove this cat. For now, I'm running mine with cat and carb adj screw caps removed.

it sounds like it might be easy to bypass the cat rather than drilling/grinding it out. if the muffler is divided into two chambers with the cat being the only penetration, maybe you could just drill a few 3/8" holes thru the partition, leaving the cat in place. also, as i said before, look at the muffler outlet, where the spark arrester screen is located. on the 330/360 it's restrictive, but you can double it's area with a little drilling and filing. just don't take so much out that the screen can't be clamped down. bikemike advocates drilling some holes thru the plastic below the air filter to improve flow on the intake side. also check the plastic bracket that holds the air filter. the diameter of it's air intake is significantly smaller than the bore of the carb. you can enlarge that aperture with a grinder or file and significantly improve flow. i think that mod also reduces turbulence in the venturi and makes the carb perform as designed, for bettter throttle response and higher max rpm..

I have thought about trying to fab a bigger canister muffler for the 360t to se if it helps any like the old 200 and the 201t has it has some room in the muffler cover to use up. Don't know if any gains will be had but wont know till it has been tried

i like a hose barb on the carb side. crank my compressor back to 5psi, hook it up and spray the seals with windex. i don't really have a clear image of your rig, but it sounds like you're including the intake boot in the items that will be tested. i was curious if the metal ring that goes between the carb and the boot is missing. some time those get lost when the carb is removed.

I have no idea. If you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have known to look for it. Had a hard time finding it in the IPL too. You'd think intake parts would be in the link named "intake"..... :rolleyes: Evidently not.

Back to original topic of the thread--finished reassembly of 330t with new short block. The used flywheel that I ordered off eBay still not here so I installed the old one--works great, wish I hadn't spent the $20 for replacement! With flashlight and saw in hand, head to my equipment building for fuel mix. Getting excited--more so than starting the new 271t for the first time! Pulled starter maybe 20 minutes--nothing! Pulled sparkplug to make sure it's ok--I had put oil in cylinder--plug looks good. What do I do now?? Plug was dry so don't think it's flooded!! Pulled it again and it happened-----------------------------it fired!!! Pulled again and it started--running really fast but I had opened both carb screws to 2 turns, they were set at 1&1/2. Let it run a minute or so, killed it, started again 1st pull, squeezed throttle just for a second, it came to life! Oiler seems to be working, I can see bar oil flinging in the light of the flashlight!! Put it to bed for the night--couldn't hold saw, flashlight, screwdriver, and then attempt to adjust carb--gonna be a long night!!!!!!

The night before x Mas shut your eyes. Se a saw in hand open your eyes and 30 seconds have past. Bet youl fire it off before work or on lunch break

The night before x Mas shut your eyes. Se a saw in hand open your eyes and 30 seconds have past. Bet youl fire it off before work or on lunch break
Betting your right, wonder if neighbors will mind "chainsaw alarm " in the morning????

Oops, shld have said pull starter 20 times, not 20 minutes!!!

I'm more wondering how they do compared to my Super 25DA, it's a top handle also, I also have a Super 2 which I don't think would keep up but cost much less.
I forgot to mention I also recently acquired a McCulloch top handle and I've run it a bit but couldn't compare it because of it's safety chain..

a good running s25 will out cut them ....but the echos are newer and dead nuts reliable.....

Back