Echo CS500p

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountainlake

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The newer Echo CS500p has way too much Shindaiwa in it, I was using it today to cut up some slabwood a I think my CS 400 saws cut faster. The older CS 510 , 520 and 530 saws were animals compared to the Cs500p . Steve

The newer Echo CS500p has way too much Shindaiwa in it, I was using it today to cut up some slabwood a I think my CS 400 saws cut faster. The older CS 510 , 520 and 530 saws were animals compared to the Cs500p . Steve

You mean too much echo in it. I believe the echo cs590 is the only shindaiwa saw still being sold in the U.S.

No I don't, I think the Cs500p is almost 100% Shindaiwa and I don't think the CS 590 or 600 has much Shindaiwa in them as they came out a while before their merger. Ehco has had real nice porting for quite a while as proved by the CS 510,, 520 and 530 saw which cut really good.

They sell a shindaiwa 600 here that looks the same as the 550/690/600 series echo, but you get a nice factory fitted sugihara solid RSN bar as standard delivery. l need to know more about the jap saws....l bought a cs550p 55cc's and its to masssive for a 50cc saw and far to underpowered to do what a good 60/70cc saw can do. l would not mind a new echo 620p or shindaiwa equivilent.......they do make some good saws, but like any brand you need to know whats what.

No I don't, I think the Cs500p is almost 100% Shindaiwa and I don't think the CS 590 or 600 has much Shindaiwa in them as they came out a while before their merger. Ehco has had real nice porting for quite a while as proved by the CS 510,, 520 and 530 saw which cut really good.

I've noticed the 500p is a torque machine, less rpms. Reminds me of the old 028. Quality however is in check on all their mag case saws now, a great place to start to build Pro Sales.

I'm just passing on something an echo dealer recently told me, who is personal friends with the former shindaiwa rep/guru.
Shindaiwa makes a line of professional saws that are every bit as good as husky and Stihls professional lines.

how about a comparison between the 2.... save us guys that have cs 400 saws some money... heck if its even a close match.....the 500 should way out cut the cs 400.....its like 10 cc more correct.? would really be great to see the 2 on video and see what the times are.....

Obvious question would be what has been done to the 500 and to the 400s you find cut faster.

Interested to see how this shakes out, since the 500P seems like an interesting saw, particularly in terms of weight and form factor.
well i know his cs 400 is moded.....

I've never ran a 500 but compared to the 400 the 520 cuts a lot faster. A 520 with a mm screams and has torque. Last time out cutting I had the 400, 520, and 8000. I used the 520 about 80% of the time. They run good with that little pipe taken out of the muffler.

Yeah I like the cs 510 especially for $6 for the power head a good muffler mod makes that clamp shell come to life

The cylinder of the cs500p have the same bore than the shindaiwa 502 (the same piston) but the port is realy not the same the shindaiwa flow the air much beter i will make video when i have the time (and echo make it to it cant be ported to became like the shindaiwa cylinder . When i cut whit the 2 saw i think i can see a diference between the to saw for polution... the shindaiwa smell more the gazzz

Almost all of the 500's ive seen at the dealers come with a 20" bar. All the 400's come with 18". Im sorry, but the 500 isnt a 20" saw. The 400 needs a 14". Now its easy to say "those 500s have no power, i ran a buddies the other day...." But youre running a saw not set up correctly.

Almost all of the 500's ive seen at the dealers come with a 20" bar. All the 400's come with 18". Im sorry, but the 500 isnt a 20" saw. The 400 needs a 14". Now its easy to say "those 500s have no power, i ran a buddies the other day...." But youre running a saw not set up correctly.

I've ran my cs-510 with a 20" bar it's whole life and it cuts like there's no tomorrow. Of course, we only cut softwood (conifer) which does make a difference. Not sure I would like the 20" on it if all we cut was hardwood.

I'm a little disappointed with all this talk of the 500p being so much less powerful than the 510. Of course, after porting a 520, Randy said, "It's as strong as a PORTED 346XP":

I just bought a 500p this week...should be here in a few days. I trust what @mountainlake is saying because I've read his posts going back years on this site and others. His input has me a little concerned...and confused. After much research, I really had high hopes for the 500p.

Randy ported one and had very good things to say about it. Sounds like it was a real dog out of the box (typical Echo/stuffed muff) but after porting, it cut about 45% faster. He was so impressed with the 500p he said, "With the design of the top end I can see this thing keeping up with a 346XP". And that's really saying something with the fanatical love around here for the 346.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/mastermind-meets-the-echo-cs500p.188048/

The 500p Randy ported was owned by @fatboymoe. Maybe he will chime in and give us some input since he's had 4 years to put it through it's paces.

Nice i want a 520 they are pretty rare

I know where there's one that has less than an hour on it. But the SOB is asking $350 and absolutely WILL NOT budge.

BTW: Randy said the 520 was a 346 killer but I believe he was joking: "You're right, it's a 346xp killer. :laugh:"

Back