Echo CS590: 14,000 RPM Not What I was Looking For

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CS590, 600, or 620 never had cat muffler in the US that I know of.
The issue is stuff like that changes and the builder never tells you. Easy to tell if a muffler (on an Echo) has a CAT inside because Echo uses a circular CAT element that is brazed to the back wall of the muffler and it's easy to see by looking in the muffler exhaust exit. Had a hell of a time removing it from my CS top handle. Had to grind off the entire outer seam, split the can apart and torch off the CAT ring and then I Tigged it back together again. On the CS Top Handle the CAT causes the exhaust to run so hot, it melts the outer shield on the saw.

I guess I don't have a converter.

I hate this green stuff that doesn't work. If it works, great, but I have really suffered with products that were intended to send a message but not to function correctly.

I suspect that as time goes on and all the green crap progresses, every saw will have a CAT in the muffler so will lawnmowers and weed eaters and everything else. Why I have a diesel powered lawnmower because at least presently, any diesel engine under 29 horsepower is exempt from EPA regulations. I'm sure that will change as well. Like the current EPA approved 'no spill' gas cans that are a joke and spill gas constantly.

I suspect that as time goes on and all the green crap progresses, every saw will have a CAT in the muffler so will lawnmowers and weed eaters and everything else. Why I have a diesel powered lawnmower because at least presently, any diesel engine under 29 horsepower is exempt from EPA regulations. I'm sure that will change as well. Like the current EPA approved 'no spill' gas cans that are a joke and spill gas constantly.
Stihl chainsaws used to use catalytic converters. After the introduction of stratocharged engines, they were discontinued. This is true for other manufacturers as well.

There is no such exception for compression ignition engines. The law besides uses more sane units, namely kW.

The fact that you are using such a mower is irrelevant from the EPA's point of view, if it was manufactured in accordance with then-current regulations. Such regulations apply only to new engines (put on the market). No one is going to tell you to install a catalytic converter or something like that in your mower.

Current (as of the last revision date) EPA mandate is), any diesel engine under 29 brake horsepower is exempt from any EPA emission mandate, at least for now and why you won't find any of my big diesel farm tractors that don't have sooty exhaust pipes. The upcoming T5 mandates will encompass all diesel engines no matter what the brake horsepower is (of course that only applies to new engines) and I don't own any new ones. All mine are T3. Interestingly, tactor manufacturer's are now starting to adopt the stance that if you have a major engine failure on any engine under the previous EPA mandates, they won't supply a reman engine, only a T4 or better engine and you have to show proof that the original engine was rendered inoperative as in putting a hole in the block with a sledge hammer or other suitable tool. I happen to work at a local tractor dealer part time so I'm very aware of what transpires. We use them for target practice. Amazing how big a hole you can blow in a nodular iron block with a 300 Win Mag. After you destroy an engine, you have to document with pictures before you can obtain a new or reman engine. I find a lot of pain in doing it but it's like 'cash for clunkers' in a way. Only you pay the freight and not the gummit.

I could see the same scenario happening to small 2 stroke engines as well. it's a well known fact that the EPA frowns on small 2 stroke engines because they are big polluters and probably why all the saw builders are developing lines of electric saws, not because they want to but because the end game is in sight for them.

Personally, I think electric chainsaws suck but that is my opinion only.

Now that your saw has been modified you can't use a tach to set it at what echo recommends you have to tune it by ear, once you find the perfect tune you can record that with your tach if you like but using stock recommendations at this point is worthless.

Higher RPMs won't hurt the saw if it's tuned right I have one that runs 15k+ rpms all day long with no issues.

I don't go out of my way to disobey emissions and environmental laws, but...

I have a John Deere 430 diesel yard tractor. The 50-pound muffler broke and fell off. JD wanted $250 for a part that would cost $30 for a car. Way too much. Around three years later, it's over $400.

My emissions system now consists of a stainless steel exhaust tip with a motorcycle baffle inside it, welded to a stainless collar thing that holds it on the exhaust manifold. I think I'm into it for about $18. Is it legal for emissions and noise purposes? I don't know, but I wear ear plugs when running machinery, so I don't care.

I have low-flow toilets. They actually work, so I don't mind I got them to replace horrible low-flow toilets that did not work and could not be plunged, if you can believe it. The manufacturer realized they were abominations and stopped making important parts for them.

I have bidet attachments on my new toilets. One toilet is guaranteed to move 2.2 pounds of poo per flush, and it's supposed to use about 1.3 gallons. Great, but running the hot water for the bidet takes around 5 gallons, and the courtesy flush takes another 1.3, so call it an 8-gallon eco-toilet. Mother Nature is fine, but only savages omit the courtesy flush.

If I make the mistake of eating Cheerios, it could be 40 gallons per day. I have a well, though, so I don't care.

I have to take my garbage to the local "recycling center," which is really three dumpsters plus areas where people dump perfectly good furniture, tools, and so on which other people are NOT allowed to take and recycle, because environmentalists are total hypocrites. Everything but steel goes to the landfill. The waste people don't accept "construction waste," so if I need to get rid of something like Corian or concrete, I break it in pieces and put it in a box. Then the box goes into the dumpster while I smile and wave.

I'm not the real bad guy here, though. I saw someone throwing lawnmower batteries in a dumpster, and I thought I should mention it to the attendant. He told me not to worry about it. They really don't care. Anything you can hide in a bag is considered legit.

I have to flush a couple of radiators, and I haven't yet been able to find any good reason not to dump the coolant in the woods, where it will be absorbed in about 30 seconds and no animal will get a chance to drink it. I keep reading up on it. It apparently consists of things like ethylene or propylene glycol, water, and traces of iron and maybe some copper, lead, and aluminum. The chemicals won't do any harm. People shoot in their yards here, so two grams of lead from a car radiator don't sound scary. I kill squirrels from my bedroom window and front doorway, so lead is already here.

Maybe I'll take the coolant to the dump, though. They won't take the grit from my belt sander, if I tell them, but they'll take antifreeze.

Latest posts

Back