Echo CS800p rebuild or not

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stateline Sawer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello All
Recently an Echo cs800p came across my bench with a severely scored piston, cylinder looks to be in pretty bad shape as well. $200 in parts+/_ and then my labor expense to rebuild. The guy who owns it (recently purchased used) has $200 into it and asked me if it were worth fixing. I don't see many of these saws to gain any sort of sense of their value. Any suggestions or input out there? I know if the owner abandoned the saw to me, I certainly would put the $200 into it + my time.

I'm in the same ship with my Dolkita ea7900.
I've put a tail on the OEM P/C. When it gets under 170euro I'll buy.
With swapping parts, you always run the the risk of finding other stuff that need replacing.
Taking that into account, where do you draw the line.

I'm in the same ship with my Dolkita ea7900.
I've put a tail on the OEM P/C. When it gets under 170euro I'll buy.
With swapping parts, you always run the the risk of finding other stuff that need replacing.
Taking that into account, where do you draw the line.
I would definitely rebuild the 7900. My dream saw! The Echo, has now become mine, so for $200, I feel obligated to bring it back to life! Lol

That’s an $800 saw new, and they make excellent saws for flushing stumps. They aren’t as fast as some saws but they have good torque and a manual override oiler
Man it's a heavy saw! I certainly don't need it (it's now become mine), but for $200 to bring it back to life, seems like a no brainer! F***k, just another steed for the stable I suppose! Lol

Man it's a heavy saw! I certainly don't need it (it's now become mine), but for $200 to bring it back to life, seems like a no brainer! F***k, just another steed for the stable I suppose! Lol
Ive seen them used on eBay in the 400 to 500 range depending on condition etc
Look up listings should give an idea of value
With a big bar and tax there well over 800 new

Ive seen them used on eBay in the 400 to 500 range depending on condition etc
Look up listings should give an idea of value
With a big bar and tax there well over 800 new
Right...
Around here, not much I can't tackle with one of my many sub 60cc saws with 18-20" bars. The Echo has a 27" bar.

I would definitely rebuild the 7900. My dream saw! The Echo, has now become mine, so for $200, I feel obligated to bring it back to life! Lol
It has a great power to weight ratio.
And pulls a 32" with authority. It didn't even die from the tree falling on it (with my hand in between), but from my friend forgetting the gas filter when reassembling the handle that broke (also).

It has a great power to weight ratio.
And pulls a 32" with authority. It didn't even die from the tree falling on it (with my hand in between), but from my friend forgetting the gas filter when reassembling the handle that broke (also).
I have always admired the 7900 and would love to have one. I have a 510 (which many don't like) but I love! It's dead nuts reliable and it's got great a/v mounts! It's my little firewood cutting Cadillac! Lol

I currently have a customers Dolmar Ps-34 that isn't running in line to be repaired, but feel less than excited about it! Lol

Lucky, 800 has been on my bucket list for years, if i could find a smoked one for 200 id hurt myself getting the money out

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Lucky, 800 has been on my bucket list for years, if i could find a smoked one for 200 id hurt myself getting the money out

Well I'll have $200 in it for sure. I found the issue, wasn't straight gassed, but rubber cover/plug wasn't in place over adjusting jets...pulled in "fines" and probably being lean from factory just cooked piston.

Well I'll have $200 in it for sure. I found the issue, wasn't straight gassed, but rubber cover/plug wasn't in place over adjusting jets...pulled in "fines" and probably being lean from factory just cooked piston.
Not a cheap piston either, from what I could find. $75

Are you complaining about the repair cost being less than $200 now? :)

Sounds like the deal keeps getting better and better for you. I've always wanted to try an 800p

I scored the piston on my cs800 a couple years ago with the same problem of that rubber plug. It had about 1-2 hours on it at the time. I learned a pretty good lesson on that, including replacing my first top end. Since then, I've used that saw for over 200 hours on milling, stump cuts, etc. The saw is not my favorite, but as long as the carb isn't sucking in fines from a poorly placed rubber plug, it will start every time and get through everything you ask it to.

Are you complaining about the repair cost being less than $200 now? :)

Sounds like the deal keeps getting better and better for you. I've always wanted to try an 800p
No complaints from me, I like free stuff! It's just a rather expensive little piston and kit is all.

I scored the piston on my cs800 a couple years ago with the same problem of that rubber plug. It had about 1-2 hours on it at the time. I learned a pretty good lesson on that, including replacing my first top end. Since then, I've used that saw for over 200 hours on milling, stump cuts, etc. The saw is not my favorite, but as long as the carb isn't sucking in fines from a poorly placed rubber plug, it will start every time and get through everything you ask it to.
Yep that's what happened to this saw, it arrived with no rubber plug at all. I asked you this morning if you (singing arborist) knew if the piston was the same in the 800p as the 8000 in an older thread about the 800p. I'll have to fabricate a little plug once it's running and tuned. Maybe even a little tasteful piece of black duct tape that can easily be removed. Lol

Is it like this?
8038545c68fda140519a54a68edc0165.jpg

I'm not sure, I never actually saw it, but that plug looks round. The H/L recess looks square on the Echo and I see it's now an obsolete part with nothing to supercede it. Crazy...

Hey sorry. I'm not on here as much as I'd like to be. Here are some pictures of the boot. It really isn't too bad to take in and out with some needle nose pliers.20210314_152104.jpg

Latest posts

Back