Echo horsepower -from Yamabiko

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles86

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As most already know, Echo USA does not reveal horsepowers for there various saw. Since I own a couple I was curious so I found this from the Yamabiko Japan site, so I consider this the best source:
(values converted from KW -factor 1.34102209)

cs-370 (36cc)= 1.88 hp

cs-500 (50cc)= 2.82 hp

cs-600 (59cc)= 4.02 hp

cs-680 (67cc)= 4.43 hp

cs-8000 (81cc)= 5.23 hp

Yes, these are a bit lower than Stihl and Husqvarna (and Efco), but I still love mine anyway, and they should last me until they pry them from my cold dead hands.:laugh:

Here's the Husqvarna 281xp:
Engine specification Cylinder displacement 80.7 cm³ / 4.9 cu.inch
Power output 4.2 kW / 5.7 hp

Here's the Efco MT8200
Specifications:
Power/Displacement 6.0 HP/80.7 cc

As most already know, Echo USA does not reveal horsepowers for there various saw. Since I own a couple I was curious so I found this from the Yamabiko Japan site, so I consider this the best source:

cs-370 (36cc)= 1.88 hp

cs-500 (50cc)= 2.82 hp

cs-600 (59cc)= 4.02 hp

cs-680 (67cc)= 4.43 hp

cs-8000 (81cc)= 5.23 hp

Yes, these are a bit lower than Stihl and Husqvarna (and Efco), but I still love mine anyway, and they should last me until they pry them from my cold dead hands.:laugh:

Here's the Efco MT8200
Specifications:

You just made the 'Trolls day! :laugh:

according to your KW husky numbers the correction should be 1.357142857142857

or the husky doesn't have 5.7hp;)

great post! i still going to get the 500cp or 600p and 355t,well when taxes get back maybe:msp_thumbsup:

As far as I have understood Echo/Yamabiko measure hp at the blade tip! Not at the housing. So their numbers show more real world performance than the other major manufacturers.
But of course this puts them, in the number game, at an disadvantage.

Last edited:
As far as I have understood Echo/Yamabiko measure hp at the blade tip! Not at the housing. So their numbers show more real world performance than the other major manufacturers.
But of course this puts them, in the number game, at an disadvantage.

I measure mine in centimeters. Makes her think it's huge.

i doesn't help that you can't really advertise HP since it's a compound representation of work over time... and i have yet to see a standardized hp test from a governing body for saws specifically...so take paper hp specs with a grain of salt

cs-370 (36cc)= 1.88 hp

cs-500 (50cc)= 2.82 hp

cs-600 (59cc)= 4.02 hp

cs-680 (67cc)= 4.43 hp

cs-8000 (81cc)= 5.23 hp

Here's the Efco MT8200
Specifications:

The numbers fit very well with what I have occationally found on non-US Echo websites - and with the statement that Echo saws have no power....:givebeer:

I've run my bone stock 600p with a 24" bar against 2 different 460 huskys. 1 running a 24" and 1 a 20". Same chains, fuel, wood type/diameter, etc. The echo cut faster, and ran smoother. Even my husky owning friend admitted it. Just like hp ratings on cars at the wheel vs at the flywheel. And my oiler is more reliable as well... :msp_thumbsup:
But, the brand comparison will always be just like cars, some people thing theirs is the best, and yours is junk just based on the make, and absolutely zero evidence.
I've run Stihls professionally, Huskys quite a bit as well, but choose Echo for my use because they work for me. Personal preference. period.
I'm sure this will spark troll's ire, and I couldn't care less. :rock:

seems like every time i click on a channel about echo it's just a re-run....damn remote must be broken:jester:

I've run my bone stock 600p with a 24" bar against 2 different 460 huskys. 1 running a 24" and 1 a 20". Same chains, fuel, wood type/diameter, etc. The echo cut faster, and ran smoother. Even my husky owning friend admitted it. Just like hp ratings on cars at the wheel vs at the flywheel. And my oiler is more reliable as well... :msp_thumbsup:
But, the brand comparison will always be just like cars, some people thing theirs is the best, and yours is junk just based on the make, and absolutely zero evidence.
I've run Stihls professionally, Huskys quite a bit as well, but choose Echo for my use because they work for me. Personal preference. period.
I'm sure this will spark troll's ire, and I couldn't care less. :rock:

Run it against a 562XP and report back. That is it's competition. Or wait, should all echo pro models be compared against the lower grade competitors models? Maybe like a handicapping system to preserve self esteem for echo owners.

Run it against a 562XP and report back. That is it's competition. Or wait, should all echo pro models be compared against the lower grade competitors models? Maybe like a handicapping system to preserve self esteem for echo owners.

562 xp msrp starting at $739.95 and can run a bar up to 24" per manufacturer site. 4.7 advertised hp

cs-600P msrp starting at $559.99 and can run up to a 27" bar per manufacturer site. 4.1 hp as discussed here.

So for $180 less, I'm giving up a whopping .6 hp..

I bet if equipped with same chain, cutting same size rounds, would be pretty damn close.

I'll stick with my Echo thank you.

And yes, my only comparison I have is against 460s because no one I know has any need to shell out the extra $$$ for the 562.

562 xp msrp starting at $739.95 and can run a bar up to 24" per manufacturer site. 4.7 advertised hp

cs-600P msrp starting at $559.99 and can run up to a 27" bar per manufacturer site. 4.1 hp as discussed here.

So for $180 less, I'm giving up a whopping .6 hp..

I bet if equipped with same chain, cutting same size rounds, would be pretty damn close.

I'll stick with my Echo thank you.

And yes, my only comparison I have is against 460s because no one I know has any need to shell out the extra $$$ for the 562.

Ah, but the 562XP specs "don't tell the whole story" or however the echo folks like to put it. They cut way better than specs would indicate :)

I'm really just having fun arguing about this, because it's pretty much pointless. However, I do find it amusing that anyone spending the big money on a new saw would buy anything but the best available regardless of brand.

Latest posts

Back