Echo Kioritz twin cylinder chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt81

Bliss: Saw full of fuel and yard full of trees!
Reaction score
Ebay and CAD... a bad combination. :bang: Need some advice about these Echo Kioritz saws. What displacement? What's it like to use a twin cylinder "vibe less" saw? Obviously with 2 cylinders there is more to go wrong. I know these are fairly rare in good running order so they would be an interesting addition to the collection. I am currently winning on both.

Found this Echo Kioritz 601S VL Chainsaw and it's only a 35 minute drive away. Anyone able to tell me anything about it? The owner says it is in good working order and it looks a very tidy saw for the age. I will try to arrange to go and have a look at it if i have time this weekend before i put anymore cash on it.

View attachment 204550

Also this Echo CST-600EVL. Would have to get this one posted as it's too far at 4.5 hours away. Yes even to far for a saw... :laugh: I believe this one has the 2 cylinders firing forward and back instead of the Solo? twin design that had 2 cylinders next to each other firing upwards. Again anyone know anything about this saw? I am led to think from somewhere in the back of the rarely used part of my brain, that this one has an auto oiler with manual backup while the one above has a manual only oiler. Plus it looks a more modern design than the other anyway. Owner has not replied back yet to my questions. Details says that it is 60cc and in very good working order and has not seen much wood as it was bought to replace an Echo 610 twin that broke and was then repaired.

View attachment 204551

So which one should i go for? I personally like the 600EVL as it's newer and has a chain brake (and auto oiler?), while the 601 super vibe-less does not. I would like to get one or both depending on how things go. I am also led to believe that parts for these saws are still available in the US?

never herd of a cst600?, just sold my 610, great saw, underpowered for a twin. i've never ran a 601vl, but i have a 701svl, i love this saw for being an older saw, the 601 is smaller displacement, but basicly the same saw, it should have manual and automatic oil pump, only drawback on the auto pump is it's driven off a small cam on the back of the clutch drum, but if you find an oregon rim sprocket/ drum (which i did for mine) all you need to replace is the rim when needed (spur style is nla), otherwise great saw!

sounds like i have a friend nearby, hope i can get some info from you on the 600p, just bought one off e-pray, looks like a nice saw, we're a echo dealer where i work, we have one in stock, hasn't sold yet, our cost is more than what i just gave for the one i bought, i think i'll like it, you're thoughts?:rock:

sounds like i have a friend nearby, hope i can get some info from you on the 600p, just bought one off e-pray, looks like a nice saw, we're a echo dealer where i work, we have one in stock, hasn't sold yet, our cost is more than what i just gave for the one i bought, i think i'll like it, you're thoughts?:rock:

the 600p is an excelent saw!:msp_thumbsup:

Matt, I have the John Deere 66SV which is the same saw as the Echo CST-610EVL. It's twin cylinders 61cc and smooth as silk to cut with.
I've had mine for 22 years and it is built like a tank. I have a 24" bar on it and it weighs 20 lbs.

For anyone looking there is one on ebay that the guy bought new with the original bar and chain on it. It is a good looking twin.

I had a JD 66SV for about 10 years. Picked it up cheap because it had no power...wouldn't rev up. Changed the front plug, which had never been touched, and it ran great for all those years. It was heavy and didn't have the power I thought it should for the weight. It was a good, dependable saw that started every time I pulled the rope and never needed anything other than basic maintenance. It was a smooth running machine and vibration was minimal.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys..............................but as I understand it neither the 601SVL or 600EVL are twin-cylinder Echos. The twins were ONLY the 610EVL and the JD 66SV unless I'm mistaken...

Correct me if I'm wrong guys..............................but as I understand it neither the 601SVL or 600EVL are twin-cylinder Echos. The twins were ONLY the 610EVL and the JD 66SV unless I'm mistaken...

I believe that to be correct in the USA. There may have been another variant or two available abroad. CST in the model number will give it away.

Hello,

In Europe we have CST 600 EVL twins as well. Martin Pfeiffer from Germany has one, bougth in Switzerland, I have one 600 from Holland and four :smile2:
CST 610 EVL saws. In Japan the Echo Twins have different modelnumbers.
The CST 600 EVL is slightly different from the 610. Restored my 600 that had the front piston stuck and broken in pieces, with crank, pistons and cylinders from an American 610. Found out that pistons were different, The 610 has pistons with two different rings, the 600 has two of the same.
The rings of the 610 have kind of conical shape.
Found two parts saws at that time from the same seller on Ebay. At first he did not want to send tot Europe, later he offered even a lot of new parts that i took also. Lots of little stuff like piston rings, gaskets, crank seals, reeds, could build my saw together with his little parts.

View attachment 210927 click for bigger

Two of my 610, one used, the second twind and the third saw a CS 550 EVL have never been started.

Greetings from Holland

Jos.

There's also a larger Echo twin that was only available in Asia. I've seen a collector from Japan talk about them and I believe he has one.

There are CS-611T in Japan. Some countries have the same saws just with different model numbers than ours...Bob

Hey Bob- isn't there like a 630 or 635 twin also? That's the one I saw Stefan posting about that was either only available in Japan or only available in Asia.

Thats prob so, i was looking for his post in a hurry but didn't find it...Bob

Yesterday someone offered a vintage Echo solid nose 30'' Tsumura bar on a sort of Dutch Craigslist.
I was already thinking about a long bar for my CS 900 EVL and one must react if the right thing is available.
Tried to call him and mailed, today he called back.

Speaking about the Bar and Echo i tried not to get too enthousiast, he might think i am a collector and that is not good voor the trade.
Talking about the models he knew, he mentioned that they once sold a CST 600 EVL for a modelplane engine and kept all the parts that were not needed.
He had the starter side, gastank, underplate, barcover, chainbrake, everything exept the shortblock and ignition, new, never used.
Told him that i am looking for a barcover of a 610 and that i might take the rest if the price was right.
He asked the price of a new oregon bar of the same size for the whole trade, bar and parts, I did no lower bid, seemed sporty to me.

With the parts i can give one of my twins a totally new, unused look or trade them and have a bar for free. Think i go for the first and keep the parts that come off, waiting for another parts saw to show up.
Want to say that there are still a lot of parts around, be patient and talk to people, the rest is luck.
Will try to post some pictures when the parts arrived to make people jalous.

greetings from Holland

Jos.

Parts arrived,

DSCF2249.jpg

DSCF2243.jpg

DSCF2244.jpg

DSCF2246.jpg

101_1889.jpg

My 600 with her wrong chain cover (modified cover of a 550 EVL) but that is soon history.

Looking for a right crankcase half to repair a terrible broken one of my 610, would change with other parts, now i have some to change.

Greetings from Holland

Jos

Yesterday someone offered a vintage Echo solid nose 30'' Tsumura bar on a sort of Dutch Craigslist.
I was already thinking about a long bar for my CS 900 EVL and one must react if the right thing is available.
Tried to call him and mailed, today he called back.

Speaking about the Bar and Echo i tried not to get too enthusiast, he might think i am a collector and that is not good voor the trade.
Talking about the models he knew, he mentioned that they once sold a CST 600 EVL for a modelplane engine and kept all the parts that were not needed.
He had the starter side, gastank, underplate, barcover, chainbrake, everything exept the shortblock and ignition, new, never used.
Told him that i am looking for a barcover of a 610 and that i might take the rest if the price was right.
He asked the price of a new oregon bar of the same size for the whole trade, bar and parts, I did no lower bid, seemed sporty to me.

With the parts i can give one of my twins a totally new, unused look or trade them and have a bar for free. Think i go for the first and keep the parts that come off, waiting for another parts saw to show up.
Want to say that there are still a lot of parts around, be patient and talk to people, the rest is luck.
Will try to post some pictures when the parts arrived to make people jalous.

greetings from Holland

Jos.

Hi...In Australia both the CST 610 evl and the CST 600 evl are fairly rare but are 'around'. I have two of each. Perhaps experienced people could advise what parts do
interchange with other saws. One of mine for example is the only one I have seen (others may exist) that has a dog on the clutch cover as well as on the saw-frame.
Is that from a different saw?...if so that would be useful in saving replacement costs...or was it an option?

The 600 serial numbers are much lower than the 610, logically that may indicate a shorter production run. The 600 seems a sort of mystery perhaps as not released in USA.

My first 600 was ok but missing top bar...finally one came up for sale in USA...cost me best part of $100 Aussie all-up for a US.$25 item. OUCH!

Someone had welded one sometime broken (engagement) starter pawl. It was ultimately cheaper to buy a flywheel from another machine and take the pawls...another
close to $100 by the time it got to Australia.. I took a punt and bought a very similar looking trigger-set.from USA...wrong!!...another $75.00....Problem is there's no
apparent 'club' of collectors who will contribute to buying what comes along and selling to other collectors.

My first 600 and my second 610 had crook triggers. One broken bottom, one top. Ok I can make one set. I bought my second saws as they popped-up...after seeing what
I'd paid for the first two perhaps...about $980 the pair as they are. I spent 6 hours cleaning them....slacko's are typical in chainsaw users...use and forget until it dies.

From the second set I intend to fabricate a replacement top bar (for my first 600 which does not have one...indicating the owner may have had a better saw with one broken
sold it or lost it at some stage. I also want to and will fabricate trigger set pattern and some replacements. Some one tried it out of some kind of resin block on the second
610 but no good.

The first 600 had no spark on front plug and the pickup coil plastic was a bit crappy. I carefully stripped it out and checked pulse using a magnet and mA meter on the working
coil lead ..ok...continuity in the pick-up coil and fingers-crossed no shorted turns. I devised a replacement system using other parts and will do so if someone can send me a
dud ignition...I will not use mine as I discovered by excavating the 'filler' , a broken wire that feeds the front coil. Fixed that...now spark at both plugs. I'll bet that's been a
common fault causing throw-away.

To reseal the plastics assembly I range all around.I had a particular spec ....which included moulding malleability, would not stick to coil. I found a material down in Victoria
(2 part) which is said to fill my spec....$34.00. That's for a day when I am very calm and patient. Soon I'll have 4 working saws...then decide what to do. Access to those parts
from Holland would have been great!!

Twin cylinders are said by an older repairer to have had two problems...ignition failure and front piston damage scoring bore. Perhaps a slightly higher oil content and cleaning
air filter more-often might help. Watching U-tube however, it seems to me that the 'experts' commonly are poor users of the saws....they drive them. No!..a sharp saw should
cut under its own weight. Odd-ball angles and heights put strain on saw components not intended to take it...additionally such bizarre narcissism as 'racing' and 'hotting-up'
...which porting of muffler leans mixture and runs up temperature and reduces oil to cylinders, ...Prolonged cutting using tip, (morticing for example) and using blunt chains,
all stress a saw. Whilst engine mod's should be accompanied by likely ignition timing change, doing it correctly is a skilled operation in maximising life-span as well as power...
and torque and power are another relationship but I'll not go into it much here....I'll leave it as "one looks at the cross-over for best all around purpose".

I see here and there people complaining of the 610 being underpowered. The first thing to look at is yourself and the purpose of the saw. You don't get
80cc performance from a 60cc machine. I'd suggest twin cylinder machine may not produce the Torque or Hp of a similar single cylinder if one 'iffy' cylinder drags-down
the other and because rotating mass is higher with two pistons and crankshaft counterweights. Used as designed I'd say the twin 600 and 610 are very adequate.

Modern bars with sprocket nose might reduce drag...the original bars were basic.

Not cutting with the tip when one can cut with the flat logically allows greater efficiency for the engine. Another observation... dogs are used to locate a saw, using
them as second class lever fulcrums to drive the bar harder increases chain to bar friction and affects timing, wear and edge peel-over and this maintenance and
chain life.

Before I was an apprentice and tradesman, now engineer I watched my father using and sharpening hand tools, he a world-class (or leader) in his trade. At Tech.
we were taught how to properly use and maintain tools in electrical fitter-mechanic our 'fitter" classes. Today in Queensland any old mug electrician can call
himself or herself a 'fitter-mechanic because modern inspectors don't have a clue about whata fitter mechanic used to do and was taught to do.

Hand tools are designed, generally to be fitted with well sharpened attachments and operate under their own weight. That's why my tools lasted all my life. Modern
frenetic behaviour and demand for productivity sees people imagining they have to drive the tools and force the work...not knowing how to correctly-sharpen drills,
blades, augers and when to do it sees them working the metalware to death then using a new one...and 'new ones' may require sharpening before best results. I spent
half an hour sharpening any new chisel, some longer. Drills (the hand tool is a 'drilling machine' ) are commonly sharpened wrongly. Not cheap to buy the boss then
puts on a performance about breakage and yet watch a shearer ( Idid all my own shearing) ...as soon as the edge goes-off ..he replaces the comb and cutter from his
tool kit then sharpens them as required during break or after work... A chainsaw that's smoking from the chain has already passed the time it should have been
sharpened and possibly as well, the bar dressed.

Finally with Occupational health and Safety...which some people don't think is 'manly', chainsaw vibration causes disease no differently from using jack hammers. The
twin cylinder saws minimised that and … criticise me if you wish....reliable twin cylinder chainsaws ought to replace the single cylinder ones. Of course for heavy
professional use weight is a large factor. Perhaps there's room there for modern materials intervention. I don't think the Wankel engine saw (Sachs) or the twin verticals
are ideal. The old Echo did it best.

Has anyone any interest in collecting the serial numbers of twins left alive...or found dead? and grouping say even emails to advise of parts?

Cheers

welcome to the site jack..... the twin echo saws are a bit hard to find, btw this thread is 7+ years old .....:)

Hi...yes I saw the dates. I thought a bit of up to date commentary might help some one 'out there'. There are probably a lot fewer twins around that when this
thread was active...although the Mormons in Utah and the Amish might have a few "down the shed". We pay 'through the nose' for these saws but parts are hard to find...her in
'Horstraya' is vastly more difficult than USA. I really winced when it cost me nearly $100 to get a s/h top bar but considered it and possible machining of the cylindrical
section which supports the handle skin at the bracket. Today I'll perhaps find $50 or a "case of cans mate" would have done it. I still intend to check. I'd make one myself
or have an exhaust pipe bender do it but...ahh well!!

That the top bar brackets are also at a premium when available indicates either poor design or poor use...or being dropped or run-over of course. We could advertise locally
for spares (USA I mean) and contact echo dealers asking them to keep an eye-out...or put a 'wanted ' card in their shops. IO advertised 2 months ago on a farm ite...no response
but almost immediately two came up on eBay. I bought them as much as anything for the patterns. Maybe then I can help others. The thing-is though even though I am US
advised 'the 610 is pretty well out on its own...It would be extraordinary of Echo hadn't used anything from its then present inventory. I wonder why their triggers break?...
I know it's inadequate design and a lack of foresight which created the ignition problems...but I do have a solution I want to try before recommending it. That's why I'm after
an ignition which is kaput at present.

I hope you got some fun out of my couple of words...............

Latest posts

Back