Echo releasing an electronic carb saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strato was due to the epa, electronic carbs are to keep the average user from blowing up their saws. Carb limiters didn’t stop enough of them and you don’t have to take a Saw to get tuned. Tuning is a chore and I’m glad I don’t have to worry about it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tunning is a chore? Guess you never got good at it.

Innovation is something that occurs at a glacially slow pace in the saw industry and sadly its taken government emissions regulations to get to 1980s carburetor tech.
I really don't think so. Weight is one of the major concerns with saws, and they have gotten lighter. Look up the weight of a car today compared to one in 1980. They have pretty much gained 1000 to 1500lbs. So sure you can have wifi, heated seats, injection and the works, but they are heavier and not as durable.
Nothing is free.

most of the folks that think computers have improved our world are too young to have enough experience to make that conclusion
I couldnt agree more. We are slowly moving away from the best and most reliable chainsaws ever built, which in my opinion is the 90s. People should really enjoy what they are now, cause the next stop is electric. Not that its a bad thing all in all, but its going to happen, and the biggest reason is power. Electric already beat out the nitro fuel RC cars which had higher output then chainsaws by displacement by a good margin.

The Chinese are testing the waters of 4 stroke saws(lowes canada and stores in Australia) not doing like dolmar did putting some out then walking away. I wish honda, husqvarna, or stihl would give it a try.

Battery tech has to get a lot better to make a big saw practical but battery saws have come a long way from what they were in 2012 and you have more to chose from now with some packing 120volt battery packs.

I don't think battery technology is going to be the hold up. I think it's going to be motor tech that is the problem - specifically the price point for the technology (high efficiency, small, lightweight). John Q Homeowner is not going to pay $800 for a chain attached to a DC motor that can pull 3-4HP at 9000 RPM under load and not drain the battery after 3 cuts.

The Chinese are testing the waters of 4 stroke saws(lowes canada and stores in Australia) not doing like dolmar did putting some out then walking away. I wish honda, husqvarna, or stihl would give it a try.

Battery tech has to get a lot better to make a big saw practical but battery saws have come a long way from what they were in 2012 and you have more to chose from now with some packing 120volt battery packs.
I'd rather them go all in on electric then 4 stroke. Some things you can get away with the added weight and power loss, I don't think chainsaws are one of them. Electric on the other hand can be more powerful.

I really don't think so. Weight is one of the major concerns with saws, and they have gotten lighter. Look up the weight of a car today compared to one in 1980. They have pretty much gained 1000 to 1500lbs. So sure you can have wifi, heated seats, injection and the works, but they are heavier and not as durable.
Nothing is free.
My cars are all basic. Manual trans, locks, windows. Traction control is dangerous and should be done away with. Anything that takes control of the vehicle away from me in a bad situation shouldn't be there in the first place.

I live in western Canada in the north end of the populated area. We have ice and snow conditions you might as well figure nearly 6 months of the year. In these parts, antilock brakes and traction controls are liabilities, rather than assets. Sounds weird, Eh? Once you become a proficient driver, you can drive in those conditions with far more control WITHOUT electronic controls. I could go on and on about the particular weaknesses of these aids. At this time, they are not advanced enough to handle low traction conditions nearly as well as a proficient driver can without them. My skills have diminished considerably with the onset of these electronics. These controls in my world can be a definite hazard. These controls attempt to compensate for poor engineering in the matching of engine power characteristics as they interact with transmissions. And everything is an automatic transmission now. I still can't drive an auto, as I drove standard pickups exclusively for 35 years before I ever owned an auto. Autos cannot do what a standard (and a clutch) can do.

Chainsaws wars! I love it first episode will be trash talking the Stihl vs echo... My echo will out cut your Stihl! Well you echo runs lean! It's electric! It's still lean! It will out cut you on this wood right herrrr! Wanna bet your saw on it? Next after the break we return with some saw dust flying action where someone will win a saw they dis like then come to actually like it after they use it around the farm.....

Chainsaws wars! I love it first episode will be trash talking the Stihl vs echo... My echo will out cut your Stihl! Well you echo runs lean! It's electric! It's still lean! It will out cut you on this wood right herrrr! Wanna bet your saw on it? Next after the break we return with some saw dust flying action where someone will win a saw they dis like then come to actually like it after they use it around the farm.....

Strato was due to the epa, electronic carbs are to keep the average user from blowing up their saws. Carb limiters didn’t stop enough of them and you don’t have to take a Saw to get tuned. Tuning is a chore and I’m glad I don’t have to worry about it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong.

All the BS that has happened to chainsaws over the past 20 years, including Carb limiters, was all EPA driven.

As to those you speak of who have to 'take their saw' and pay someone to tune it, they probably should be paying someone else to operate it too ;)

I couldnt agree more. We are slowly moving away from the best and most reliable chainsaws ever built, which in my opinion is the 90s. People should really enjoy what they are now, cause the next stop is electric. Not that its a bad thing all in all, but its going to happen, and the biggest reason is power. Electric already beat out the nitro fuel RC cars which had higher output then chainsaws by displacement by a good margin.

Amen to the 90’s era saws.
Every product, whether it be a chainsaw, a vehicle, a computer or what have you, evolves over time and seems to reach a peak of near perfection where the manufacturer & their engineers have gotten everything right.
At that point, instead of leaving the product alone, whether it’s due to EPA compliance issues, as with chainsaws, or simply wanting to continue innovating solely for marketing purposes such as with a computer operating system, even it’s not an actual improvement for the end user, they start down the back side of that peak and the product quality, durability, simplicity, and ease of use actually declines.
As for chainsaws, I firmly believe that Peak of innovation was in the 1990’s to say mid 2000’s.

Epa has effected ope, cars, trucks, heavy equipment, anything that burns fuel...

Except trains, ships, and planes.

Whether true or not, I read that trains, ships, and planes burn more than half of the worlds fuel. More than all the other stuff combined. And they are basically unregulated wrt emissions.

Watch a few engines pulling a long string of cars up a long hill if you want to see smoke!

Back