Echo Saws, are they Dependable

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All speculation I guess. I hope they all survive to make great saws.
Echo has been around a very long time and they don't seem to have gained any market share in the chainsaw side of things. I think they are happy servicing the Landscaper and Lawn service markets mostly.
My grandpa actually had a echo saw from I believe the 60's, but it was labeled Kioritz

To a lot of us they already surpassed Stihl / Husky. Do the same job for 30% less and outstanding dependability? Sign me up all day. Yeah the Stihl is more refined but in a SHTF scenario I'll take my Echo 620 over any electronic Stihl or Husky.
In a SHTF fantasy a bad carb diaphragm will make the saw a paperweight the same as a bad carb solenoid.
By your logic a Poulan Wild Thing surpassed Stihl snd Husky long ago because they are cheaper and do the same work.

I didn't say that, you came up with that cross logic all on your own so try again. Echo offers and delivers a professional level product (chainsaw) that accomplishes the same job as the other manufacturers, albeit with a little less flash and a bit more weight.
I never said you did. I just used your same logic.
I am not up on Echo saws, but most of the ones I have seen look like a saw from the 1980's. I would think thats why they are cheaper, because they are old designs.

The Echo 3510 looks like a stratified charge kind of short stroke design.
View attachment 1043971
They are starting to make some strato saws in a couple of the newer generation, smaller models. In the past they had the 550p that was as well, but pulled it off the market after a while. What’s interesting is they are still making a lot of there more flagship models that are your basic 2 stroke such as the 73cc 7310. For each their own, but I like that and will continue to favor Echo as long as they are making saws that I can easily work on. People like to get bent out of shape when someone suggests one brand can be as good or better than what they prefer, or own. I just buy what I like, and I’ve always had great experiences with all Echo products. I’ve got professional grade Stihl and Husqy products that have been great, and some that I don’t care for in terms of reliability. I know Echo isn’t on the cutting edge of tech, especially when it comes to saws, but I’ve never had an Echo product that didn’t inspire confidence in terms of dependability.

To a lot of us they already surpassed Stihl / Husky. Do the same job for 30% less and outstanding dependability? Sign me up all day. Yeah the Stihl is more refined but in a SHTF scenario I'll take my Echo 620 over any electronic Stihl or Husky.

Kind of reminds me of Sony TVs back in the day - yah they made a great TV, but you were definitely paying the "name tax" (looking at you stihl/husky). I loved my old Toshiba for significantly less $ and it was still going strong when I switched to LCD. I'm no fanboy of any brand saw, and like most of them for what they are. They have good ones, they have bad ones, they have cheap-o ones, just like car manufacturers.

I just started picking up Echos recently for fun, got a 590 and a 600 (basically the same saw) and they are no joke for a 60cc. I was legitimately surprised when I buried a 24" bar in black cherry (with depth gauges filed all the way down by previous owner) and it took it without hesitation.

Also, if the comment about the bad diaphragm was in regards to the check valve, that's an easy $8 (permanent) fix - they did what they did due to pickle-heads buying saws and burning them up leaning them out, and then returning them or wanting warranty work. So thanks to "those guys" we all have to deal with this check valve BS. Rebuilding a Poulan Pro now because someone did just that (melted it and sold it off cheap). Side rant; if I had to pick a saw to hate on, it'd be the PP. Never have worked on one I liked.

I am not up on Echo saws

But going to argue against them, because... interwebz! 😆

In my opinion Echo saws are very dependable. The only negative I've heard about them are they are a tad slow, compared to Stihl and Husqvarna. For the price I'd have to say they are the better deal. I have all brands here in my little shop, not biased toward any brand except the ones hard to find parts for. I've eliminated Dolmar since parts are a little difficult to find and not cheap..

They are starting to make some strato saws in a couple of the newer generation, smaller models. In the past they had the 550p that was as well, but pulled it off the market after a while. What’s interesting is they are still making a lot of there more flagship models that are your basic 2 stroke such as the 73cc 7310. For each their own, but I like that and will continue to favor Echo as long as they are making saws that I can easily work on. People like to get bent out of shape when someone suggests one brand can be as good or better than what they prefer, or own. I just buy what I like, and I’ve always had great experiences with all Echo products. I’ve got professional grade Stihl and Husqy products that have been great, and some that I don’t care for in terms of reliability. I know Echo isn’t on the cutting edge of tech, especially when it comes to saws, but I’ve never had an Echo product that didn’t inspire confidence in terms of dependability.
I get what you are saying. The problem arises when people make statements like Echo surpasses Stihl and Husky. They haven't and won't because the companty is geared more toward other O PE than chainsaws. Saws for them are an after thought. There is nothing wrong with saying you like Echo just because and without adding any claim of superiority.
Truth be known I have never understood brand loyalty at all. As it pertains to saws I buy the best saw in the class I'm interested in. If that's a Husky fine, if it's a Stihl fine.
The other thing I would mention is there isn't a saw made that's hard to work on. They are really dead simple, even those with the much maligned electronic carbs..

Kind of reminds me of Sony TVs back in the day - yah they made a great TV, but you were definitely paying the "name tax" (looking at you stihl/husky). I loved my old Toshiba for significantly less $ and it was still going strong when I switched to LCD. I'm no fanboy of any brand saw, and like most of them for what they are. They have good ones, they have bad ones, they have cheap-o ones, just like car manufacturers.

I just started picking up Echos recently for fun, got a 590 and a 600 (basically the same saw) and they are no joke for a 60cc. I was legitimately surprised when I buried a 24" bar in black cherry (with depth gauges filed all the way down by previous owner) and it took it without hesitation.

Also, if the comment about the bad diaphragm was in regards to the check valve, that's an easy $8 (permanent) fix - they did what they did due to pickle-heads buying saws and burning them up leaning them out, and then returning them or wanting warranty work. So thanks to "those guys" we all have to deal with this check valve BS. Rebuilding a Poulan Pro now because someone did just that (melted it and sold it off cheap). Side rant; if I had to pick a saw to hate on, it'd be the PP. Never have worked on one I liked.

But going to argue against them, because... interwebz! 😆
Most people serious about saws are not up on Echo because they really aren't relevant. Much of what they sell are obviously old designs and their dealer network is slim in the areas I've lived in. I get it gus like them because they cost less, but to a chainsaw is a cheap piece of equipment and I care about performance.

I get what you are saying. The problem arises when people make statements like Echo surpasses Stihl and Husky. They haven't and won't because the companty is geared more toward other O PE than chainsaws. Saws for them are an after thought. There is nothing wrong with saying you like Echo just because and without adding any claim of superiority.
Truth be known I have never understood brand loyalty at all. As it pertains to saws I buy the best saw in the class I'm interested in. If that's a Husky fine, if it's a Stihl fine.
The other thing I would mention is there isn't a saw made that's hard to work on. They are really dead simple, even those with the much maligned electronic carbs..
I agree. As an Echo fan I can honestly say that Stihl and Husqy have stayed ahead of them in terms of cutting edge saws, especially lately. But a lot of these discussions lead people to believe that Echo is lesser quality in terms of build and materials, or that they are some sort of “disposable” grade of tool. Stihl and Husqy will most likely be the pro’s choice for the lightest, fastest saw.

I am not up on Echo saws, but most of the ones I have seen look like a saw from the 1980's
And much preferred over the trash coming out of Stihl and Husqy these days. Why complicate matters to achieve no real benefit. All one has to do is look at this forum and see the problems the newer advanced saws are having.

I agree. As an Echo fan I can honestly say that Stihl and Husqy have stayed ahead of them in terms of cutting edge saws, especially lately. But a lot of these discussions lead people to believe that Echo is lesser quality in terms of build and materials, or that they are some sort of “disposable” grade of tool. Stihl and Husqy will most likely be the pro’s choice for the lightest, fastest saw.
Echo has had a reputation for .asking quality equipment. They definitely are not disposable junk.
Quality wise they are every bit as good as the BIG 2.

My dad was a Stihl guy. Started switching to Echo. He then bought me an old 272xp Husqvarna that taught me a lot because it wasn’t fully gone over. I previously used in-laws wild-thing. I cut on and off with 272 for 4-5 years. Mostly off and barrowing a ms311 when something would break on my 272( wear parts that all should have been replaced at one time but i didn’t then know how). This year I needed a new saw and finally after years of my dad telling me to buy an Echo I got a 620. I feel like it beats my 272, but I need to finish repairs and try together. I am very impressed with the build quality of the 620. Super heavy duty. From my perspective my only issues with Echo chainsaws are the air filters. The clamshell design leaves much to be desired. You have to install various o rings to get better seal and use dielectric grease in spots and still see some dust in neck of intake before the carb. After a couple tanks I bought aftermarket filter. It’s much better but not perfect. A few of echo saws like the 7310 my dad has, have the pleated automotive type. Now that is a heavy duty saw. It’s got some weight to it, but it’s stout. If Echo would work on air filters, I would be even happier. I run a 28” full chisel chain in hardwood on my 620. If the chain is sharp it’s pulling well. Still need to try some different lengths of bars and raker settings to see where the saw shines. If you have experience please share.

My dad was a Stihl guy. Started switching to Echo. He then bought me an old 272xp Husqvarna that taught me a lot because it wasn’t fully gone over. I previously used in-laws wild-thing. I cut on and off with 272 for 4-5 years. Mostly off and barrowing a ms311 when something would break on my 272( wear parts that all should have been replaced at one time but i didn’t then know how). This year I needed a new saw and finally after years of my dad telling me to buy an Echo I got a 620. I feel like it beats my 272, but I need to finish repairs and try together. I am very impressed with the build quality of the 620. Super heavy duty. From my perspective my only issues with Echo chainsaws are the air filters. The clamshell design leaves much to be desired. You have to install various o rings to get better seal and use dielectric grease in spots and still see some dust in neck of intake before the carb. After a couple tanks I bought aftermarket filter. It’s much better but not perfect. A few of echo saws like the 7310 my dad has, have the pleated automotive type. Now that is a heavy duty saw. It’s got some weight to it, but it’s stout. If Echo would work on air filters, I would be even happier. I run a 28” full chisel chain in hardwood on my 620. If the chain is sharp it’s pulling well. Still need to try some different lengths of bars and raker settings to see where the saw shines. If you have experience please share.
There are different filter designs across the Echo line. I don’t understand their logic there. My 3 Echo saws have automotive style filters that let nothing by, even better than my Stihls and Husqy. But the 60 cc Echo saws are such good machines… Don’t know why they have such silly, weak air filter designs. Same with the discontinued 800p… what were they thinking? I think Stihl is the most consistent across models.

There are different filter designs across the Echo line. I don’t understand their logic there. My 3 Echo saws have automotive style filters that let nothing by, even better than my Stihls and Husqy. But the 60 cc Echo saws are such good machines… Don’t know why they have such silly, weak air filter designs. Same with the discontinued 800p… what were they thinking? I think Stihl is the most consistent across models.
So which three saws do you have? 7310, 680 and something else? My dad has those 2 and a smaller one with crap filter

Back