Echo Saws, are they Dependable

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can saws be divided into categories by subjective criteria? That doesn’t sound very scientific.

How can saws be divided into categories by subjective criteria? That doesn’t sound very scientific.
That criteria was previously listed in this post. It’s not subjective, may be scientific. Has to do with a brand’s criteria for performance, weight, durability or serviceability, and target market. But I’m not the one categorizing.

Ok so far we have:

1. Mag case
2. Hp to weight ratio
3. Better parts - still needs clarification

So the main saws I have ran, when I put the bar tip of saw up near wood and rev, I can get a pretty far line of bar oil. My 272 with 20” or 24” would do that.

On the 620 I have oiler turned all the way up, and I get little spits of oil. I went to a thinner oil and it improved marginally. I opened the oil port up a wee bit and that helped marginally. I am running a 28” bar that came stock on it. I have not run thinner oil in the summer yet as I got this later in the year. Does this saw distribute oil differently? There are some slots in tensioner holes that are not there on my oregon bars for husky. Could my bar be too long? Is the saw defective? I have little to moderate knowledge, am a carpenter and only been running saws for firewood 5-6 years. Thank you for being willing to help.
It is clutch driven, when I rev it it does spit oil, and plenty of it. Doesn't drop oil while sitting as expected with this type. I get plenty of oil on 24" bar, never seems to run out and heat bar up even when buried in 30"+ trunks. I have it set up on the Alaskan Mill and it oils more than enough through the cut.
Gear drive on some of my other saws makes a mess when idling, but chain is always lubed before pulling the trigger. so pros/cons for each type.

Example- Echo 590 vs 620p(farm vs pro)
620 is ported differently and has slightly better power
620 has a mag sprocket cover and outer dawgs.
620 has an outboard rim sprocket
I think 620 comes with an aluminum handle vs plastic.
620 will come off the shelf with a solid Oregon pro bar with a better grade of chain while the 590 will have the laminated bar and lesser chain.

This is just one example of how a brand might market 2 saws of the same displacement as being one for a guy who doesn’t need the absolute best and can save a few hundred dollars. That might start to clear up your parts dilemma as well.

This is even more confusing. So your example uses a 620p as a “pro” saw but earlier in this thread another poster said Echos, while fine machines, were relegated to homeowners and big box stores.

It is clutch driven, when I rev it it does spit oil, and plenty of it. Doesn't drop oil while sitting as expected with this type. I get plenty of oil on 24" bar, never seems to run out and heat bar up even when buried in 30"+ trunks. I have it set up on the Alaskan Mill and it oils more than enough through the cut.
Gear drive on some of my other saws makes a mess when idling, but chain is always lubed before pulling the trigger. so pros/cons for each type.
I agree. My big saw seems to always oil perfectly. My Echos do leak a bit, even in storage.

This is even more confusing. So your example uses a 620p as a “pro” saw but earlier in this thread another poster said Echos, while fine machines, were relegated to homeowners and big box stores.
My example is correct… The 620p is a pro saw. It may weigh a few ounces more than the equivalent Husqy or Stihl and may even be a second slower in a 20 inch cut or some other “ test” that people like to use on the Internet. More “pros” probably use Stihl and Husqy in their businesses than the Echo, however the 620p is every bit as capable, high quality, and in my limited experience, more dependable (which is how this thread started) than the competition.

I never said Echos were relegated to whatever was said earlier, but that is how it turns out sometimes when they go up against brands that market so heavily and have the rich history that Stihl has.

Personally I’ve never seen to many commercial users that have impressed me with their knowledge of a saw or skill using it… just a bunch of meatheads flogging on a bunch equipment under 2 years old and dying, claiming it’s the best.

Bottom line is, Echos are dependable.

My example is correct… The 620p is a pro saw. It may weigh a few ounces more than the equivalent Husqy or Stihl and may even be a second slower in a 20 inch cut or some other “ test” that people like to use on the Internet. More “pros” probably use Stihl and Husqy in their businesses than the Echo, however the 620p is every bit as capable, high quality, and in my limited experience, more dependable (which is how this thread started) than the competition.

I never said Echos were relegated to whatever was said earlier, but that is how it turns out sometimes when they go up against brands that market so heavily and have the rich history that Stihl has.

Personally I’ve never seen to many commercial users that have impressed me with their knowledge of a saw or skill using it… just a bunch of meatheads flogging on a bunch equipment under 2 years old and dying, claiming it’s the best.

Bottom line is, Echos are dependable.
I don't get it with these weight weenies: forest guys should be used to handling weights/heavy things. After few years or in some cases DECADES of daily hard work shouldn't they have developed some muscle and endurance?! And endure 2-3 lbs or 1-1.5kg more but have/use a damn decent reliable chainsaw?!
You could PROBABLY build a chainsaw out of titanium alloys and carbon fibre for lightest ever chainsaw. But who's ready and willing to pay $15000-20000 US dollars for such a chainsaw?! 🤔

I didn’t intentionally mean to take this thread off topic. It’s just really annoying nearly every thread about echos has someone, not necessarily you, compare them to “pro” saws. My simple question about what qualifies a “pro” saw is more difficult to define than “what is a woman”.

I own a 620p and know its capabilities and shortcomings. Whether it’s “pro” or not means little to me as I’m barely a novice.

Again this isn’t directed toward you, I guess you just happened to be the person who responded the most.

I don't get it with these weight weenies: forest guys should be used to handling weights/heavy things. After few years or in some cases DECADES of daily hard work shouldn't they have developed some muscle and endurance?! And endure 2-3 lbs or 1-1.5kg more but have/use a damn decent reliable chainsaw?!
You could PROBABLY build a chainsaw out of titanium alloys and carbon fibre for lightest ever chainsaw. But who's ready and willing to pay $15000-20000 US dollars for such a chainsaw?! 🤔
I’ve never cared much about a few ounces either. My 2 favorite saws are heavyweights.. the Echo 680 and a Husqy 395. I’ll admit they do get heavy but I’m 175lbs dripping wet and can sling those saws all day.

While I like running a saw that feels easy on the back, and is light and cuts good, I’ll never put a saw on a scale to determine which is best for me.

But to each their own. I’m definitely not the last word when it comes to saws.

I didn’t intentionally mean to take this thread off topic. It’s just really annoying nearly every thread about echos has someone, not necessarily you, compare them to “pro” saws. My simple question about what qualifies a “pro” saw is more difficult to define than “what is a woman”.

I own a 620p and know its capabilities and shortcomings. Whether it’s “pro” or not means little to me as I’m barely a novice.

Again this isn’t directed toward you, I guess you just happened to be the person who responded the most.
Yep. It’s New Years Eve and I ain’t doing anything!😊

But I’m in agreement with you. It’s blanket statements like the ones you mentioned that end up attaching a stigma to the Echo brand. Truth is I’ve run the 620p, MS362, but not the 60cc Husqy… I’d take a 620p over those two, regardless of price. I just like them better and have seen them hold up better.

But that’s my preference, and my experience and I make my choices based on that. I don’t expect it to align with everyone else’s.

I’ve never cared much about a few ounces either. My 2 favorite saws are heavyweights.. the Echo 680 and a Husqy 395. I’ll admit they do get heavy but I’m 175lbs dripping wet and can sling those saws all day.

While I like running a saw that feels easy on the back, and is light and cuts good, I’ll never put a saw on a scale to determine which is best for me.

But to each their own. I’m definitely not the last word when it comes to saws.
You made me curios: is that 395xp? How much you used it and how many problems you had with it? I want it as my next chainsaw but I must practice more with the makita 6100(almost cut my left leg some time ago) 😁 . So I won't rush in ,and keep all my limbs! But a 395xp looks/seems more "manageable" than a 3120XP(another on my "wishlist"/maybe chainsaws).
Thanks! 👍

Echo IS a profesional mark of chainsaws! ISN'T it?! 😁🤔

You made me curios: is that 395xp? How much you used it and how many problems you had with it? I want it as my next chainsaw but I must practice more with the makita 6100(almost cut my left leg some time ago) 😁 . So I won't rush in ,and keep all my limbs! But a 395xp looks/seems more "manageable" than a 3120XP(another on my "wishlist"/maybe chainsaws).
Thanks! 👍
Yes, XP. I bought it new this year in January. I had about 50 trees with 3 to 7 foot trunks to cut up. I got it all done in short order and the saw is impressive. I like it fine and it seems durable. Only things I’ve noticed are the muffler on these saws are strangely either soft or just positioned weird. I’m on my second one and they just get beat to heck, it seems. Also I’m not crazy about the plug wire routing. I’ve had to stay on top of keeping it from getting chafed up. Other than that everything seems to be good and simple. I’ve been able to get a lot done with it and I suppose I’ll have it forever. It does a lot of sitting in my closet lately until I need it. I’ll say this, after using the 395 for a while I finally decided to start wearing chaps.

If Echo made a 95cc saw, I’d be all over it. And I’m going out on a limb and saying I’d be confident the muffler and plug wire issues wouldn’t exist. But instead of having a 18lb powerhead it would be 19lbs and everyone but me would hate it. 😊

loodukie
What IS subjective is hp per pound and who and where makes parts.

Hp per lb is measurable not subjective.
"where makes parts" In English please.

jrenna 3. Better parts - still needs clarification
Above your ability to look into? All you are doing is trolling on some other persons thread.

loodukie
What IS subjective is hp per pound and who and where makes parts.

Hp per lb is measurable not subjective.
"where makes parts" In English please.

jrenna 3. Better parts - still needs clarification
Above your ability to look into? All you are doing is trolling on some other persons thread.
I know hp per pound is measurable, but there is no metric for a minimum ratio before it can qualify as a “pro” saw.

Who makes parts or where they are made determining if they are higher quality,….how’s that?

I don’t put all my energy into grammar here, sorry.

You guys seem argumentative today. Have a drink! Or go cut some wood with your Stihls, Husqys or Echo’s if you’re just a homeowner. 😊

No one is trolling anyone. I asked a simple question. You can’t answer it - that’s fine. I’m sure there’s plenty of people on here who can without using terms like “better” or whatever it was you said.

No one is trolling anyone. I asked a simple question. You can’t answer it - that’s fine. I’m sure there’s plenty of people on here who can without using terms like “better” or whatever it was you said.
I don't really think the pro vs something else is too consistant Echo vs brand x. I would suggest wandering around USA sites and UK sites and see how Husky, Stihl, and Echo break things down. My 361P has vibration levels in the 6 range which probably should kick it out of pro. It also has a clamshell engine module in a plastic case. It does have a stuffed chrank and a rather advanced ignition unit. There are countries where they track the vibration and determine how many hours a day is acceptable for the operator.

A professional charges a fee. It could come down to whether the manufacturer suggests certain products in their line for someone using the tool in an income producing environment.

How advanced is the ignition timing.
What coating is inside the cylinder
anti vibe design
durable chain brake ie one vs two pivoting points
many of likely more priority listed in earlier posts.

Latest posts

Back