Echo Saws, are they Dependable

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m extremely pleased with my Echo’s. They have a 5 year warranty which tells me how the company feels about their product. Stihl and Husky only have 2 years.
I'm hearing that Echo doesn't always honor their warranty depending on what the dealer thinks of the damage.. Of course I do all my own work so it wouldn't matter. I have one Echo, a 330T which I put together myself from spare parts and it seems okay for small stuff. I think since the pic I put on a new, shorter bar..

Attachments

• Echo 330T-1.JPG
    Echo 330T-1.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
I had a dealer replace a coil out of warranty on an echo saw that I was logging logs in the water with, charged 35$ or 40$ said water was in saw lol. But after closer inspection I noticed the new coil. Cs 400. So not sure how the deal worked out but I thought he did ok. I do have quite a few cs 400s bought so maybe he put it on a newer saw warranty

My main saw is an early 452VL/20". You know you're holding a piece of equipment, not some plastic junk.

And good thing, you’ll be holding it for quite some while compared to a modern saw, those older Echos are durable but slow!!! Bought a few minty ones some years back. Loved the look of them but they were just too underwhelming to be useful, even as fun saws. It saddened me, I really wanted to love them.

Echo makes some of the very best power equipment out there. One of my best friends works for the city and grass cutting the city properties and cemetery. After running Stihl string trimmers for several years and having nothing but problems with them I told him to try Echo. He had the city purchase a couple of them and now has switched to them entirely and retired all the Stihl units. Even the summer hired help can't kill the Echo's and to date all of them have been dead solid reliable.

Even with that said Echo has both "home-runs" and "turds" in their line-up, so for sure do your homework before taking the plunge into their line-up. The CS-620P/PW and CS-7301 are excellent. No one I've ever known to buy one has been disappointed with them. ALL of the reed valve small top handle units are turds even though they are pretty reliable. Echo obsoleted all those with recent entries to the top handle line which includes the CS-355T and the make a tiny little top handle as well but I can't remember the number on it but they are very popular in this area with tree removal companies.

Pound for pound and dollar for dollar you just can't beat the CS-590. I bought one over a decade ago and have been running the dog-living-piss out of it looking for a flaw someplace. Aside from wearing out the cheaper laminated bar they show up with it's been flawless and my go-to saw for most of the cutting we do here. I have bigger and faster saws, but since they are older Husky pro-models and limited parts availability I've shelved them and beating the Echo's to death instead.

Another BIG plus with the CS-590/600P, 620P/PW's are how easy they are go work on. You can remove the carb in less than 2 minutes. It often takes ten minutes to near the carb on some of these Husky and Stihl models and they leave you wondering why it's so complicated and difficult to get them off and even more of a PITA to get them bolted back in place.

I also like the Pro features of that family of Echo saws, inboard clutch, they only oil the chain when it's moving, excellent anti-vibe, ergonomics, and very good power to weight, plus built like a tank and dead solid reliable in long term service. You still have to be skilled enough to remove the limiter caps and a few need minor muffler mods to open them up just a tad. Failure to give them the fuel they need may result in P/C issues but that problem is simply to get past if you have enough skill sets to get the limiter caps off and correctly tune the carb.

Folks bad mouthing Echo's typically bought one of their models that just a wasn't all that great right to start with, and/or they don't know how to effectively tune and operate chainsaws and do daily maintenance, etc......IMHO. I'm not here "pushing" Echo anything, just pointing out that they make some very good products in a World full of cheap plastic junk much of which comes from offshore even though it may have a name brand label on it.

Since I work on carburetors, engines, transmissions, distributors and small power equipment for a living (well I did till retiring last month) I'm not posting this based on some sort of brand loyalty or get my panties all wadded up when folks don't have good results with Echo stuff. I see ALL of it here in the shop, and absolutely and for sure IF I were shopping for small power equipment, including chain saws I'd head down to the Echo dealer instead of Husky or Stihl as I can get a LOT more saw for a LOT less money and never have to even think about using the Warranty since I'm going to set them up correctly before they ever cut the first piece of wood........FWIW........Cliff

PS: this is what the CS-590 gets to do here, cross-cut HUGE logs into manageable size pieces to get them to the splitter. It REFUSES to clog and plenty of power for this sort of thing. Mine has never grumbled once and has about a zillion hours on it at this point!......

Maple.JPGIMG_1177.jpg

So far I have had good luck with my 490 and 620.
The 490 is great for smaller trees and I have hundreds of hours on it.
Have replaced some worn out bars, but other than changing out air filter and plugs every year, it's been maintenance free. I do have to be careful in the bigger wood as it does heat up.

The 620 so far just laughs at anything I throw at it, even full bar into the wood.
I have not had this one long enough to know how reliable it is yet, still on my first bar :cool:

So far I have had good luck with my 490 and 620.
The 490 is great for smaller trees and I have hundreds of hours on it.
Have replaced some worn out bars, but other than changing out air filter and plugs every year, it's been maintenance free. I do have to be careful in the bigger wood as it does heat up.

The 620 so far just laughs at anything I throw at it, even full bar into the wood.
I have not had this one long enough to know how reliable it is yet, still on my first bar :cool:
Back in 2015 I was running 3 Sthil and an excellent Poulan Pro 380. Since the PP was getting old and someone was willing to pay 295 cash I sold it and bought a Echo cs 590 to try out. Liked it, bought a cs310. Bought a cs352 then a cs490. After that the only Sthil i ever pick up ONCE in a blue moon, is the highly modded Sthil 029. For a 54cc saw it rock solid but weight to HP, it's a bit heavy. However now its a beast. The ONLY complaint with Echo is SPUR drive. I just upgraded the 590 to rim and have parts ordered to upgrade the cs352. I sold the cs310 to a lady..Her son is trying to tear it up. He laid on it now the AV seems weak. The chain is extremely dull but I think I can save it. Motor runs flawless. It gas a MM and cuts amazing well to be so small but when a cs352 is available it a waste of time. Echo gets my vote. All my Echo saws are a pleasure to run.

Cliff R, thank you for your honest report on the ECHO 590/620P. I am in the market for a new saw for several reasons. Here they are. In this time in America, it seems like we WILL have perminent supply problems. My oldest saw is a Stihl 034 . I bought it in March 1992 , so it is 30 yrs old. It does not seem as powerfull as it used to . Clutch may be shot. My second oldes saw is a Stihl 026. It is 26 yrs. old and I never really thought it ran well and I always thought it played a weak little brother to my 034. My newest saw is a 13. yr old Stihll 441. It is a screamer, however, it is already discontinued and that makes me wonder. It is a fussy saw to start sometimes. This lead me to a Husky dealer and they were all but out of the XP saws.. They had 1 XP ... HHMMM. Will the Husky parts be as hard to come by as the saw themselves some day?? They had an ECHO 590 for $379 +tax,, so $400 would cover it . WOW, I thought . Then they showed me a 620P. for $579. That is $ 260 less than a Stihl 362. That really is a big difference , especially if I go with the 590, I can literally buy 2 590's for the price of 1 STihl 362. A few questions though. Should I insist on a better quality bar right off the start? Many say the Stihl bars cant be beat but there are equals out there. I never wore out a Stihl bar to this day, but think my 034 has seen better days. As for the 620 and 590, are they the same quality engine? What is the difference that one would pay $200 more for the 620? Is the anti vibe better on the 620, better bearings and rings?? I am really curios about the ECHO. I thought I would never buy anything but a Stihl, but $829 plus $45 for tax is $874. They are almost exactly the same size motor too.

Cliff R, thank you for your honest report on the ECHO 590/620P. I am in the market for a new saw for several reasons. Here they are. In this time in America, it seems like we WILL have perminent supply problems. My oldest saw is a Stihl 034 . I bought it in March 1992 , so it is 30 yrs old. It does not seem as powerfull as it used to . Clutch may be shot. My second oldes saw is a Stihl 026. It is 26 yrs. old and I never really thought it ran well and I always thought it played a weak little brother to my 034. My newest saw is a 13. yr old Stihll 441. It is a screamer, however, it is already discontinued and that makes me wonder. It is a fussy saw to start sometimes. This lead me to a Husky dealer and they were all but out of the XP saws.. They had 1 XP ... HHMMM. Will the Husky parts be as hard to come by as the saw themselves some day?? They had an ECHO 590 for $379 +tax,, so $400 would cover it . WOW, I thought . Then they showed me a 620P. for $579. That is $ 260 less than a Stihl 362. That really is a big difference , especially if I go with the 590, I can literally buy 2 590's for the price of 1 STihl 362. A few questions though. Should I insist on a better quality bar right off the start? Many say the Stihl bars cant be beat but there are equals out there. I never wore out a Stihl bar to this day, but think my 034 has seen better days. As for the 620 and 590, are they the same quality engine? What is the difference that one would pay $200 more for the 620? Is the anti vibe better on the 620, better bearings and rings?? I am really curios about the ECHO. I thought I would never buy anything but a Stihl, but $829 plus $45 for tax is $874. They are almost exactly the same size motor too.
My brother bought the more expensive 620p. I got the cs590. For 30 bucks I changed the Spur to rim BUT I ran the crap out of the cs590 and it's just getting better and better. It's breaking in I guess. Eventually it boils down to YOUR choice. Unless they changed since 2015 the cs590 is danged well worth the price.

I wouldn't run one of their saws, as I'm a husky guy, though I've had a couple stihl too and will likely have a couple more, I got word back along that echo makes the best power pruners so I that's what I got and it's been good for many years, though It's only something used a few times a month. It's handy and reliable whenever I need it, it's there and I can count on it. It's smooth running and starts easy. There's no doubt you're using a pro grade tool when using it. I'd replace it with another Echo if the need arises. It's been so good, I wouldn't bother seeing if husky and stihl caught up, cus I already know Echo builds a good power pruner.

The 620 is rim sprocket, two ring piston, bigger carb, higher rev limit ignition coil, and comes with replaceable sprocket nose bar. 520 is spur sprocket, single ring piston, smaller carb, lower rev limit ignition coil, and comes with laminated bar. You can also get the 620 with 3/4 wrap handle. 590 is 1/2 wrap only. Also 620 handle is aluminum 590 is plastic.

I thought about the 620pw but my 590's seem to handle everything I need it to. If I need more bar and more power I will use one of my vintage 82cc-88cc saws. Echo needs to scale up the 620, I think the 7310 is a bit bulky for what it is. If they made a 70+cc 620pw that would be a incredible saw.

I own and use the CS-590, 600P and 620PW. My 600P is not a warmed over CS-590 it's an early version with a different P/C, carb and coil. Later 600's, at least according to the IPL's share the same P/C as the CS-590.

None of it matters in the big scheme of things, they all have plenty of power for the cc's. I set up and did timed cut testing between all three. The tests were so close it wasn't worth the effort. I simply didn't pick a big enough log and long enough bar to see much difference. I needed to get a 22-24" log and run the 24" bar instead of the 20" bar in an 18" log. I'm not going to repeat the testing, don't have the energy for it and I retired last month.

The limited coil on the CS-590 really doesn't come into play as they have the cut-in point set high enough. The biggest downside to the CS-590 is the laminated bar and when it comes time to replace the sprocket you'll be buying the entire clutch housing. Might as well upgrade to the removal drive sprocket type at that point........IMHO......

Cliff R, I think you posted a while back that your 590 cant run with your 620. It is the same size engine , and so much seems equal. Balisticdoughnut posted that the 590 is rim sprocket. What is the difference, has a 2 ring piston, ( so the 590 only has 1 ring?, and a rev limit coil. So, the 620 will run a higher RPM?

Cliff R, I think you posted a while back that your 590 cant run with your 620. It is the same size engine , and so much seems equal. Balisticdoughnut posted that the 590 is rim sprocket. What is the difference, has a 2 ring piston, ( so the 590 only has 1 ring?, and a rev limit coil. So, the 620 will run a higher RPM?
I believe the cylinders have different porting and the 620 carb is bigger

The 620 from what I got from alot of posts and research is a ported saw basically and I believe the piston is different aswell and the coil and carb plus the extra magnesium in place of plastic on the 590. But don't hold me to those statements. Maybe I watched a video from tinnmann on you tube about it. I know alot of maybes🤣

If you look at the IPL's for both the CS-620's use a different crank, rod, piston, cylinder, coil, carb and muffler. So when you buy a CS-590 it's a tad more than simply a "de-tuned" CS-620P.

Even with that said the rev-limiting coil on the CS-590 is NOT a power robber or issue with them in the least. The RPM's in the cut at full power are well below the cut-in point. I've ran a few saws where it wasn't and you know it in the first cut. The CS-360T I used to own had one like that, came in WAY too early for my liking, so much so that it made the "H" speed screw difficult to set as it would hit the limiter too soon and mimic a rich carb setting........

Latest posts

Back