EFCO MT3500 question-comparable to ECHO MS370?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun32

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought my first chainsaw yesterday, I found an EFCO MT3500 on sale for $165. it has 39cc and a 16" bar. I have found a few reviews online, all positive reviews, but cant find much info on them. Are they a good homeowner saw? It seems like a good deal. the original price was 249, and I found the saw online at 4 different sites for 209 with free shipping so I figured 165 was a good price. I was originally going to buy an ECHO MS370 which I can find online for around 200 bucks. So my main question is should I keep the EFCO or buy the ECHO and return the one I just bought? They seem comparable in size and power, its just hard to find much info on the EFCO saws. Thanks for any input.

The old stock Efcho 3500's are made in Italy. The new ones have a white fuel and oil tank and are made in China. They are both nice lightweight saws. You just need to decide if the country of origin is important to you. You can get a Poulan 5020 :msp_wub: at Tractor Supply for $15 more, but it is a much larger saw and may not fill your needs. I think it represents a much better value.:popcorn:

I have an Efcho 152 and a 156 and love them both. The 152 makes 1.7 times the power of a 3500 and only weighs 1 pound more. It is a very likeable saw. I have a 38cc Earthquake instead of a 3500 because I got a great buy on it and it fills that size slot in my collection of "new saws". Echo makes good stuff. Between your 2 choices I would probably get the Echo, or a pile of Earthquakes.

The Earthquakes are no longer available for the price that they once were. So that is in my eyes not a good recomendation. The 152/156 class are much more power&money!

I have a Efco 3500 and am very happy with it.

Pro:
The quality is absolutly on par to my Stihl 180.
I like the "starting instructions" molded in to the plastic hood.
I like the simple airfilter, in my eyes ideal for a homeowner and easily replaceble with an alternative material if it should get lost.
I like the single switch.
It is a nice runner.
It convinced me enough to buy a tophandle saw from Efco=Oleo Mac

Con:
You have to loose the catalytic insert, which requires some work. I used some thin nose plyers to get the "steel wool" out. It runs much cooler now. I still have to open up the muffler a little more. But as I said it cuts nicely for it's power range.
You need a screwdriver to get the hood off. Not really a problem but I prefer the clips like on my pro saws.
Front mount chaintensioner.

For the amount you spent I would keep it. It will do everything in it's intended field(homeowner fireplace and trimming tasks) you ask of it.

If you are thinking of an alternative I doubt the Echo 370/400 are built any better. As a homeowner I would stay in the 40cc league and think either about a strato saw or the absolut best homeowner saw in this league the Dolmar 420/421! Built like a pro saw but made for the homeowner. I also have one.

Good luck!

I wouldn't even think of comparing a MS180 to a CS 370 or CS400 Echo, the Echo has way more quality throughout the saw.
Have you had both apart? Also the 2 Efco saws I have a 156 and a John Deere 152 have way more quality than any Stihl saw except their pro ones Steve

Last edited:
Go for the Echo 370/400 all the way. Parts supply alone is a good enough reason for me. Read the thread on Efco from watsonr I think before you finalize your decision. In ny area the parts and service for Efco is non existant.

Wow, you are right, it is made in China. That stinks, I thought it was made in Italy. Not that I know much about the quality of products made in Italy, but I have never heard anything good from products made in China. Now im wondering if I should just return it?? If I saw the made in China sticker on the box in the first place I wouldnt have bought it. Any advice?? Now im thinking I should go with the ECHO??

Last edited:
What is really hillarious is everyone complaining about these evil chinese products. Does anyone own a car made in the last ten years? Most of the electronics is made in China! Do you own a mobile phone? Made in China! Do you like the clothes and shoes you wear? Made in China. Do you like your Stihl, Husqvarna or whatever saws? The ignition module is probably made in china.

So fellas keep on dreaming of your nice little world were the word china doesn't exist!

I am happy with my cars, phone, clothes or whatever. But I donot constantly try to kid myself out of reality!

What is really hillarious is everyone complaining about these evil chinese products. Does anyone own a car made in the last ten years? Most of the electronics is made in China! Do you own a mobile phone? Made in China! Do you like the clothes and shoes you wear? Made in China. Do you like your Stihl, Husqvarna or whatever saws? The ignition module is probably made in china.

So fellas keep on dreaming of your nice little world were the word china doesn't exist!

I am happy with my cars, phone, clothes or whatever. But I donot constantly try to kid myself out of reality!

funny part also.. china will be build it,,to ANY quality level,,the sellers want it to be....I/e, the scat crankshafts, that are used in racing engines, are top quality,,,guess where they are made??? people said the same thing about jayyyypan,,when they first started to get quality up there...

China made products are getting better but I'm not buying a made in China saw yet. Steve

Stihl like all others are already producing in China, so does that make it a bad product? There is practically no major company in the world not producing in China.

I'll stick with Echo for a while, either made in the USA or Japan. Stihl lost my respect quite a while ago except their pro saws, it's a shame to take a good name and ruin it just to make more money now. Steve

Stihl like all others are already producing in China, so does that make it a bad product? There is practically no major company in the world not producing in China.

Companies like S&W, Colt, Beretta and Sig-Sauer come to mind. I'm quite sure that I could come up with others, but I think you catch my drift. :msp_smile:

Companies like S&W, Colt, Beretta and Sig-Sauer come to mind. I'm quite sure that I could come up with others, but I think you catch my drift. :msp_smile:

It would be interesting to see where all their parts come from. Everything homemade??? You get my idea....

He could still get 3 Earthquakes for $210 from the same guy. If you are going to go thru the trouble of modding the muffler, they respond to it very well.:laugh:

All earthquakes that I am aware of cost >140$, the 30-40$ supplies have been scooped up a long time ago. Same price as the Efco if s&h comes into the calculation.

Last edited:
$58 and $12 shipping. Ebay seller is the distributer for Earthquakes. Same guy I got mine from last year. You can get a 41ccquake from Menards for $129 but I doubt the 3cc's is worth the price difference.:popcorn: My little quake is a hoot. Chopped up a 22"+ ash tree without protest. Performance with the M.M. is amazing.:msp_wub:

Do you have a link? I looked at the bay and all I found was a little more expensive.

It would be interesting to see where all their parts come from. Everything homemade??? You get my idea....

It would be a surprise to me if any S&W product was made in china. That being said, the newest S&W revolver I have was made in the 90's and the quality is noticeably lower than a similar gun from a decade earlier. Cult is afflicted with the UAW, so I doubt any of their product comes from china. Beretta and Sig might have some plastic parts molded there, but I doubt anything is machined there. Also, there is an import ban on chinese made firearms and likely many parts as well.

According to my Efco rep, the MT3500 is assembled in China. Parts are shipped from Italy to China for assembly to keep the price down. Like a lot of manufactures, some plastic components are made in China. Check the country of origin on most air filters and you'll be hard pressed to see anything other than "Made in China".

Latest posts

Back