Efco saws ? Is there a thread on these already ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clinchscavalry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My son and I marked about 11 acres of pine pulpwood to thin on my Dad's place the year after he died, and we found a local man to cut it using only a saw, a skidsteer and a 10 ton truck. The site was not accessible to tree length log trucks without doing extensive work to a steep sloped ford.

Anyway the logger used an Efco saw and swore by it. Since he cuts every single day, I figured his choice of saws was not to be taken lightly. Does anyone use these or has there already been a discussion on this forum ?View attachment 166480View attachment 166481View attachment 166482View attachment 166483

Echo?

Your probably not talking about an Echo saw i figure that you have seen those. Ive used the small echos over the years and called them throw away saws, use them for 3months and throw them from the top of the tallestest tree I could find at the time..lame. Ok for home owners though. Never heard of a saw with the name you spelled. You never know it might have been a saw that Stilh "off branded" one year.:rock::confused:

Yes Efco is out there

I just googled Efco and low and behold they cetianly do exist..:confused:
They make home owner and professional saws. Their Biggo Saw is th MT 8200
6.0HP/80.7CC, 20" OR 24" BAR, 15.6LBS

I'll be hornswoggled..now you have me wondering about them. Hey I have a great idea, Buy me a Mt 8200 and I'll tell you all about it, just kiddin

:clap:

The logger using the Efco had tried every brand of saw made, but he stuck with the Italian-made saws. Someone on this list must have extensive experience with them, so let's hear it.

This picture shows his "skidder" and how he used just the forks to move trees and load.

View attachment 166487

I have an EFCO 165 with 24" bar & chain, and I would not be without this saw! Took down a large elm a few weeks ago; it's now bucked & split. The EFCO is unbelievable in the kind and amount of work it can do & does. This is by far the best of my saws, followed very closely by the Solo & the Mak/Dolmar. I got mine from Baileysonline.com.

Hero ,3 months then throw them away, try doing some maintaince and adjust the carb. Are you related to PGG?

Well I have to admit that maintaince was always at the bottom of the list back then. Still I found that the climbing echo saw was always way under powered and would burn out because of it. Also, I think in some cases the saw is dangerous because you can't get through the cut fast enough in many applications. That said, back then it was PUSH, PUSH, PUSH and that in it's self is where most of the danger begins. Now I work smarter and it is slower but at the end of the day nothing is broken. That all said Echo still bites:hmm3grin2orange:

My son and I marked about 11 acres of pine pulpwood to thin on my Dad's place the year after he died, and we found a local man to cut it using only a saw, a skidsteer and a 10 ton truck. The site was not accessible to tree length log trucks without doing extensive work to a steep sloped ford.

Anyway the logger used an Efco saw and swore by it. Since he cuts every single day, I figured his choice of saws was not to be taken lightly. Does anyone use these or has there already been a discussion on this forum ?View attachment 166480View attachment 166481View attachment 166482View attachment 166483

Don`t know if they still are but EFCO`S were maufactured by OLEO-MAC in Italy

I've 2 Efco's, but only because they cost me $50. The MT3600 is sensitive to fresh fuel mix. The John Deere CS62, a rebranded/painted Efco 162/ is a workhorse so far. The only things I don't like about them are the outboard clutch and inside chain tensioner.

But that's only the voice of one years experience.

I stihl prefer a 660.

Don`t know if they still are but EFCO`S were maufactured by OLEO-MAC in Italy

Efco and Oleo-Mac are both brand names; manufacturer is Emak.

Google will find threads from before the forum change. Use the search string site:arboristsite.com efco to search just this website. There are many Efco threads.

I know a couple of people who swear by their efco equipment, I'd like to give one a proper go sometimes to get an idea of what they're like!

I have a efco 962 for its size it is a wood cutting animal. Lite ,quick lots of power it runs a 20" bar with authority.

mountainlake I'll pay the shipping on it if you are going to throw it away.

It was Hero throwing away old Echo saws after 3 months not me, I most times end up with other peoples throw aways. Most any saw will last a good long time with proper tuning and a sharp chain and a good operator. I own a Cub Cadet 5720 (Efco156) which is a well built saw with good power, it could be a pound lighter. Steve

efco- cuB cadet

I have 2 cub cadets made by efco of italy they have auto commpression release. very well made saw lots of power, and i have echo's love those two.

I love my EFCO it is John Deere colors, the CS56, same as the 156. We have used it 2.5 years in a commercial firewood operation and it has had zero issues. I'd take the EFCO 152, 156, 162, 165 and up over any of the Stihl or Husky non pro saws.
The 156 up have true pro grade construction. The 156 is right on the heels of the Stihl 361, it will cut right with or a little faster than a Stihl 390. They have a five year consumer warranty. I think they are the most unrated, unappreciated brand of saw there is. I sure wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Your probably not talking about an Echo saw i figure that you have seen those. Ive used the small echos over the years and called them throw away saws, use them for 3months and throw them from the top of the tallestest tree I could find at the time..lame. Ok for home owners though. Never heard of a saw with the name you spelled. You never know it might have been a saw that Stilh "off branded" one year.:rock::confused:

I have my dad's 30-year-old Echo saw that he used for years to cut osage-orange (not the easiest wood to cut) for firewood to heat his house. It's still running good and cutting wood, and is definitely not a throw away saw. Don't know about the newer Echos but the old ones were built to last with proper maintenance.

I have my dad's 30-year-old Echo saw that he used for years to cut osage-orange (not the easiest wood to cut) for firewood to heat his house. It's still running good and cutting wood, and is definitely not a throw away saw. Don't know about the newer Echos but the old ones were built to last with proper maintenance.

When some one calls any Echo a throw away saw I think we're talking about a throw away operator here, no mainiance or tuning and run the snot of a saw. I've been running Echo's for 10 years now, so far I've had to repace 1 AV mount. The only reason I've worked on them is from buying burnt up(most lean siezed, 1 straight gasses) and neglected ones off Ebay. Steve

Back