Efficient large tree removal, processing, into firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natster

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'd like a https://powersplit.com/
And add to it an arm, that telescopes, in length, from about 5' to 16' with a stickler on it.
Parts of one of these: IMG_20191221_173504.jpgThis would allow a user to use the Auger head, (slave pony motor) with stickler, to take apart the huge logs, then hand load onto the power split, and make finished firewood. Noodling makes a mess, you have to move the heavy rounds, so you don't get saw in dirt, etc.
The power split machine is heavy. And self propelled.
This is a pre-made component, as would be the rest of it. Also, I've seen hydraulic t post pounders, and hydraulic concrete jackhammer. If equipped with a wood splitter head, it could serve many other purposes.
Yes, I'm dreaming. But that's how things get going.
I don't know how much the power split buggy costs, but I'm looking for ideas.
Thank you,
Nate

They do make screw splitters for large logs, they're a cone shape, not a dirt auger. The smallest go on a skidsteer, the bigger on an excavator. That posthole digger wouldn't last long, kind of asking a boy to do a mans job.

The excavators with cone splitters bust up monster logs quickly and efficiently, downsizing them into rail sections to fit processors. Lacking a processor, you might as well skip the cone splitter, and cut rounds to split on the PowerSplit. A small grapple might be helpful to load rounds on a roller table feeding the splitter. The Australians have this process down pretty good with their big hardwoods.

I have a Unicorn 3 pth cone splitter and have played with it several times. That little hand controlled post hole digger there will throw you on your azz before you get a facecord of wood split. If you mount it on a tractor 3 pth post hole then you will last longer but positioning it will take more time than it's worth. If you mount it on a skid steer you will tear up your yard real quick. Mounted on a mini x would be the best bet but wrecking the gearbox on a post hole power head will set you back more than the wood is worth. Cone splitters rely on slow speed and power (torque) to split the logs, a post hole digger does not provide this. Big wood costs big bucks to bust up if you wanna do it quick.

Attachments

• 900x0_s3-30902-Eric-on-Vermeer-with-Black-Splitter.jpg
    900x0_s3-30902-Eric-on-Vermeer-with-Black-Splitter.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 18
Though this stuff looks cooler than heck....

I just cant justify spending so much on processing equipment unless im starting a business.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Back