Elbow Pain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhagler

Reaction score
I am new to this site, not new to the business. I don't do tree work full time, usually 15-20 a week. Does anyone else experience elbow pain, numbness in fingers from running saws?

What saw are you running? I choose my saws based on a number of criteria - good vibration isolation is one of them. Choose your chain for low vibration as well, chain style can make a noticeable difference.

The Husqvarna 372 (with oregon LGX) and 350 (with oregon LPX) both run VERY smooth.

I don't have any problem with my elbows from sawing - it is the splitting that usually causes some kind of injury for me.

Which side of your elbow is the pain?

Outside on the top is 'tennis elbow' inside is 'golfer's elbow'

Its all to do with grip, I've had both. STRETCHING is the key to recovery...
Hold out your arms, hamds palms up, bend your hand down, feel the stretch right up the inside of your forearm ans elbow, turn your arm over, palm down, bend your hand down, feel the stretch along the top of your forearm to your elbow.
If you have pain now, ICE it after work as its probably a bit inflamed, stretch, and stretch before work too.
The numbness comes from the inflammation compressing the nerves...ICE!

Oh, and some of this helps too:cheers:

I throttle with my right. I was thinking since I grabbed with my left, and much harder, that is where the vibration goes? I am lucky to have a wife that is a Massage Therapist, she works it out........OUCH!

Thanks for the replies though..........

firewood elbow

will take 3 to 6 months to go away.bad case will take longer.k

I have elbow pain, along with shoulders, back and knees. It comes with the job. I,ve had surgery on the inside left elbow to remove scar tissue, 4-5 cortisone shots in each elbow. I take 2 or 3 Acetaminophen extra strength just to get moving in the morning. Its all because of the repetitive motion of using pruners, or handsaws or starting and using a chain saw for the last 28 years

I have had bursitis (tennis elbow) for years. The first year or two was very unpleasant, now...No Problem!!

I drink some green tea (the real stuff, not those nasty sugar water things you buy at the store) for a few days, and it goes away. If I stick to drinking the green tea, then I have no bursitis. Because I don't particularly like the stuff, I quit drinking it for a while. If the elbows start hurting again, I need to get back to the hay water again.

This has been going on for more than 5 years now. Green tea makes it stop every time. No green tea for a month...it comes back.

Oh - it gets better! wait til you start doing it 50 - 60 hrs per week. Then you'll be saying, boy, my wrists hurt, too. oh and did i mention my lower back and maybe a little in the knees! Or you could be like me and weigh a buck 50 in the morn when you leave and about 142 when you get home - even after drinking 2.5 gallons of water! :buttkick:

And for all you who are going to reply to me and say i'm a whiner - I was JOKING!!! (kind of)

Oh - it gets better! wait til you start doing it 50 - 60 hrs per week. Then you'll be saying, boy, my wrists hurt, too. oh and did i mention my lower back and maybe a little in the knees! Or you could be like me and weigh a buck 50 in the morn when you leave and about 142 when you get home - even after drinking 2.5 gallons of water! :buttkick:

And for all you who are going to reply to me and say i'm a whiner - I was JOKING!!! (kind of)

You take Sunday off and still ache like an old man when you wake up on Monday.

My yungin told me to quit saying "I feel like an old man"
He says "You are a old man, your suppose to feel that way"

Neck,shoulders,arms and lower back remind me every day to buy a lotto ticket

I had a rotater cuff injury about 10 years ago. I used to one arm a saw all day when I was younger. Anything I did repetitively with that arm was excruciating. Even painting was painful. I had a friend at that time who was a message therapist that showed me some exercises to do and the pain went away. I quit one arming chainsaw all day as well. Not a good practice. Not only is it dangerous, it is very hard on your body.

I've got a bone chip in my elbow. It never hurts unless I bump it or prop up on it on the ground. When it does hurt it is excruciating.

I owe my continued working life, no ifs ands or buts about it to my Physiotherapist...and paying attention to her...and large quantities of ice...

You know whats funny is on Sunday I am really sore at night , it seems a break from work hurts worse , I get so tight that it may take 2/3 minutes to stand upright in the morning and I kinda take of myself ...I can only imagine 50.. I wil be in a wheelchair.. As far as wrist pain I get pain in my bicep from holding the saw back when it wants to wrip outta my hand ..

I'm tellin' you folks: consider drinking the green tea. I think it tastes like hay water, but it makes some of my problems go completely away.

Brew your own, take it to work in a thermos. It's not worth the trouble to add sugar, just get used to it. Take it for a month, and see if things don't get better.

I haven't ever been to a physiotherapist (unless you count the occasional visit to the chiropractor), so I have managed to figure out things that work.

I'm tellin' you folks: consider drinking the green tea. I think it tastes like hay water, but it makes some of my problems go completely away.

Brew your own, take it to work in a thermos. It's not worth the trouble to add sugar, just get used to it. Take it for a month, and see if things don't get better.

I haven't ever been to a physiotherapist (unless you count the occasional visit to the chiropractor), so I have managed to figure out things that work.

I love to drink tea at work. I think it is the best energy drink out there and it really quenches your thirst. Even more so when it is unsweetened. I am actually drinking a glass right now. I'll have to give the green tea a try.

I love coffee too. I am probably the only guy who will still be drinking coffee when it is a hundred degrees outside.

Latest posts

Back