elc/hydraulic pwr packs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichGSkyline

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on good ones. I replaced the original on the old Asplundh box I have. I put on one from princess auto :mad: The piece of crap barely lifted it from the get go. I thought maybe it was just slow but a couple of months later it gave up. So I had them replace it......with another of the same:bang: shoulda taken the money and run. It worked ...just..twice now I need another. Once bitten I'm not replacing it with their junk again.

DC Power-pack problems...

Hello Gentlemen,

The DC motors on hydraulic power-packs have different duty cycles depending on the electric motor being used. Other factor effecting run time; air flow freely around the motor, do not put the power pack in an enclosure, this drastically reduces the life of the motor.

If you can tell me the pressure you require, how long it runs each time it is turned on and how long the unit is off between betwen operations I can assist you in sizing the unit and suggest a couple of sources. I do not sell these items, I sell radio remote control packages for hydraulic valves and work with DC power-packs frequently so I understand these systems.

Best regards,

Bob

Bob Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what pressure is required but do remember that the relief was set around 2500psi. The stroke might be 18" with about a 2" ram. Maybe 60sec up with power down. We would usually only operate the hoist once maybe twice in a day.
The pack that was on originally lasted me 5yrs with no problems untill it quit. Who knows how long it had been around before that. There was quite a difference in speed and power right away with the princess auto set up.

DC powerpack troubles

Hi Rockin Richy,

I see your in Canada, I have done some flying over your great country.

If you contact a Canadian company by the name of Fluid Pack you should be able to find them on the web, if not look up Mason Dynamics in Grand Rapids, Michigan 1-800 -653-1382 ask for John Rader. They can supply you what you need from stock. He will probably suggest a Monarch 05 or 51 gear pump with a 4.5" diameter 12VDC series wound motor. give him your relief setting and the bore and stroke of your cylinder so he can size the reservoir. Tell him you use power up and down on the unit and he will know what valve to use on the unit.

From what you described, you were sold a unit undersized for the application.

Best regards,

Bob Kompar

Latest posts

Back