Electric Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a 3.25 HP Remington in the barn, it has worked well enough. what I don't like is that the chain keeps spinning long after you have let off the trigger.

Ray

Almost all electric chainsaws do that, and it can get you into trouble if you are used to using gas saws the the chain stops as soon as the clutch disengages, electrics have no clutch and the sprocket keeps moving as long as the motor is spinning. Only the Stihl MSE180 has a coast down brake to automatically stop the chain, similar to one on a miter saw.

Possible Scenario

Here's a possible reason to own an electric chainsaw. Consider this scenario:

1) You have a tree in your back yard. It needs a few branches trimmed.
2) An electric bug zapper is already hanging on one of its branches with an extension cord leading to the tree.
3) You are too lazy to use a pole saw or a bow saw.
4) Starting a small gas chainsaw to cut a few branches seems energy inefficent.
5) The neighbors are sleeping.
:dizzy:

I just have 3 different sizes of bow saw if I need to be quiet. Obviously, you can't be lazy AND quiet this way, but it's enjoyable sometimes.

I use the Bahco blades on the bowsaws, only ones that actually work for me.

We have a 3.25 HP Remington in the barn, it has worked well enough. what I don't like is that the chain keeps spinning long after you have let off the trigger.

Ray

Ray, one of my friends has that same saw. It took him one year to burn out the sprocket bushing. That might be the Achilles Heel of the Remington electric chainsaws. Not sure how that's lubricated, but his just disappeared into oblivion.

My Mac 610 sprocket bushing with needle bearings is now celebrating its 30th birthday.

According to Mr. Acres site, the earliest chainsaws were electrics, stationary at mills or brought into the woods with a generator. The wooden shipbuilding industry used early electrics and pneumatics in their shipyards. It's too bad that nobody really makes a really good, industrial grade electric chainsaw. The Stihls and Huskys come close, but are really just heavy duty residential saws, I think industral use would burn one of them out in a matter of weeks.

It's too bad that nobody really makes a really good, industrial grade electric chainsaw. The Stihls and Huskys come close, but are really just heavy duty residential saws, I think industral use would burn one of them out in a matter of weeks.

There are still manufacterers out there. I know an austrian company that still offers industrial electrical saws, identical to the E30 from Stihl.

I would not classify the E220 from stihl as residential saws. Many furniture makers use them on a daily basis. Even firefighters do, according to Thall.
Their price is not "residential" either...:cry:

Latest posts

Back