Elm lined up for Monday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanB22

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So, this may be a bit of a stretch, but I have a pretty large elm lined up for Monday. The tree is supposedly 3.5 ft in diameter, and from the photo's below it does look like it's a pretty close. Slightly short for milling for a table only 7 ft (can you believe the luck, they cut the tree below the basketball hoop!) but what are you going to complain about right?

Anyway, the plan is to get at least one or two quarter sawn boards out of the center of this tree, then flat-saw the rest. I'll be using my new (to me) 394xp, on a 36" alaskan, so hopefully it has enough width to take on this tree. Worst case is that I need to take a slab off, the top to reduce the overall diameter, then roll the tree to start taking slabs.

We'll see and I'll be sure to share. Any thoughts knowing I have a 36" alaskan with a 42" bar?
Thanks
Ian

View attachment 300083

View attachment 300084

View attachment 300085

Just do the math. The 36" Alaskan will give up ~4" in the end mounts leaving a milling width of ~32". 3.5' diameter is 42". Not enough mill spread to do the log. Any way you can make a cant before you put the mill to it? I bought an inexpensive Haddon Lumbermaker to whittle down the logs that are too big for my mill. Your 394 will certainly be put to the test on that piece of timber. Make sure the blade is sharp. If your 394 is like my 394 you will have to fill the gas tank and oiler after every pass.

Real nice log! Do you know the exact max width between your mill guides? I would rotate the log to where the narrowest dimension is what you mill. So if its an oval or an egg orient the oval to where the narrowest part is parallel to the ground. You should be able to slab off the top cap and maybe one or two passes then flip it 180 and do the same to other side then maybe split what is left down the pith and try to quarter saw the two left over cants.

Thanks for all the follow up

As usual, when trying to plan for to much in a short time, things go wrong. Got there, and after checking the saw over (first time running the saw) I was able to get it started, but it would die in the cross-cuts I was making. Had to put the 394 away and grab the 455 to make some progress on the lengths that the home-owner wanted cut. I figure do the work they want, that way they don't do something else with the log.

First visit is always about relationships anyway. Just so they don't give the log to someone else.

Anyway, need to fix the big saw, and get my fuel problem sorted out. When I am back at it next week I will update this thread again. Thanks for following.

Oh yeah, log is 'only' 35" at the largest end, so I won't need to take off much for the mill to run through-through for the whole log. I have a 36" mill that will go onto a 42" bar. (when the saw is working anyway!)

FYI, milling should start tomorrow

So, I finally have the saw working and running good, and the 42" bar is getting picked up today after being dressed. Hoping all goes well with my first day of milling tomorrow. Post to follow (as usual!).

Ian

:msp_thumbsup:

Today was a new bar experience for me too. I picked up the shortest bar I've ever purchased, a 16" Pro Bar for my 041 to do edge milling on the slabs. I'm in the process of making my own mill fixture.

Finally...I milled something with an actual CSM

I got all 'this' done in 2 hours, first time doing everything all at once, first time using the mill ever, first time using the 42" bar on a mill, and first time with a brand new chain. Chain is actually full-comp, I thought I got full-skip, but I guess not. Either way it worked great until ....don...don...don....hit a lag bolt! It is taking 20-25 swipes of the file to 'fix' this chain. I don't think hitting metal is worth it to me. Next time I am going to just cut-out that section of the tree, to avoid hitting anything again!

Here are the pictures for the picture parade:

View attachment 302991

View attachment 302992

View attachment 302993

View attachment 302994

View attachment 302995

More will post in my next reply.

Last edited:
Slabs are 4" thick

The first slab is 4" thick and that is just to big. Next slab will need to be 2.5 or 1.5 inches.
I will just have to break down and sticker these correctly so I get some useable slabs.

Ian

Lovely

Really nice work! Well done! I would agree about thickness with that width. Minimum 2 inch. It'll try to cup on drying, no matter what so a bit of extra thickness won't hurt.

Latest posts

Back