Elm standing deadwood to ash in 1 day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big L

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This was not a big deal to many I'm sure, although it pleased me to no end :smile2:

The morning started by taking a look at the remaining woodpile after stoking the wood stove, and realized we're running pretty low. How could this be with this wicked mild Winter we've had? In any case, reality is we're running out! Guess we burned more oil last year ... the stove wasn't always burning :eek2:

So we had this 12" Elm remaining of a double in the backyard that had been dead for about 2 years now, and have been very reluctant to chop it. See this particular tree has a rope swing hangin' from it ... not for us or friends with kids, but for our rescue dog! He's a five year old boxer terrier mix that just loves hanging and shwingin' and growlin' from that rope. He's been doing this ever since he was a pup (and building that jaw strength!) ... unfortunately the rope was shredded by his teeth shorter and shorter, and recently he couldn't reach it anymore. Haven't been able to come across any 1" or so diameter rope lately, combined with the need for more "seasoned" firewood ... the decision to take that Elm down came quickly.

Been doing a lot of splitting the last couple of weeks, so the 3 saws were all cleaned, sharpened and ready to go this morning. Took her down with the 031, a clean unobstructed drop into the yard, then bucked the rounds with the 180. (sorry, no pics :redface:) Loaded into the wheelbarrow and over to the rotted splitting round by the porch. Brought out the ax and had at it! It split quite easily actually ... way easier than green Elm!!

Did I say this was a double? After cutting the stump down low, I decided to noodle the last round in half. Did a number on the 311 chain when I hit that embedded brick!!!

It nearly hit 50 today, so the fire smoldered to ash mid-morning. By the time I returned home from a few afternoon errands, the temps had dropped to the mid thirties and the rain had started :cold: Say, lets burn some o that Elm! The stove is throwing some serious heat now ... now that I'm about 6 ipa's deep, and it took about an hour to put this post together :hmm3grin2orange: :cheers:

Time to make a tripod engine puller..and when not pulling engines, hang a rope from it.

You could always use a smaller cheap rope, and the last two feet, tie a stout stick on it, hanging straight down (maybe drill a hole in one end to put the rope through). Once it is chewed into kindling, replace it.

Time to make a tripod engine puller..and when not pulling engines, hang a rope from it.

You could always use a smaller cheap rope, and the last two feet, tie a stout stick on it, hanging straight down (maybe drill a hole in one end to put the rope through). Once it is chewed into kindling, replace it.

That's a good idea zogger ... don't have much use for an engine puller (have a backhoe :msp_sneaky:), although I think I could chop some straight birch saplings and build a tripod for the mad dog!! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back