Elm, yes but is it Red?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
No leaves since this one just died off. about 18" diameter, growth rings tighter on the other side. Bark came off in sheets after I dropped and bucked. This one had leaves last summer or I would have got it then.

elm4.JPG elm5.JPG

No leaves since this one just died off. about 18" diameter, growth rings tighter on the other side. Bark came off in sheets after I dropped and bucked. This one had leaves last summer or I would have got it then.

View attachment 451831 View attachment 451832
Looks like American elm to me. I cut an American elm at the bottom of a steep hill that had a lot of color like that.

That looks more like the Siberian elm I cut.

Hmm...you could be right. That was the trunk and to be honest is one of the largest "red" elms I've cut, they're all rather small. I scrounge the ever living **** out of them from 2" diameter on up though. Around here that's what I've been raised/led to believe is red elm, does't make me right about it though. I could share pictures of what the dead stuff looks like. The bark is real thin on them, but like I said they're all small trees. I'd love to find a red elm tree around 18" diameter.

Hmm...you could be right. That was the trunk and to be honest is one of the largest "red" elms I've cut, they're all rather small. I scrounge the ever living **** out of them from 2" diameter on up though. Around here that's what I've been raised/led to believe is red elm, does't make me right about it though. I could share pictures of what the dead stuff looks like. The bark is real thin on them, but like I said they're all small trees. I'd love to find a red elm tree around 18" diameter.
Sorry, I was thinking that you posted it in response to WS's comment on the op's wood being Siberian.

The only red I've cut was about halfway between yours and the OP in color. I thought the dark brown was more like Siberian. But I could be way off too.

Siberian elm usually struggles and 'witches broom' out on upper branches before actually succumbing to dutch elm disease. Is there any evidence of that?

The growth rings and top picture look like Siberian, but the second picture bark looks more like American. Can't tell from the pictures - does the bark have any white layers like American would?

I'm 99% sure you have Siberian elm. Here is a Siberian stump I cut last winter.IMG_4506.JPG

Siberian elm usually struggles and 'witches broom' out on upper branches before actually succumbing to dutch elm disease. Is there any evidence of that?

The growth rings and top picture look like Siberian, but the second picture bark looks more like American. Can't tell from the pictures - does the bark have any white layers like American would?

I'm 99% sure you have Siberian elm. Here is a Siberian stump I cut last winter.View attachment 451958
Zoom in to the far right side of the picture. Appears to me to be the alternating cream and tan layers.

I'm 99% sure you have Siberian elm. Here is a Siberian stump I cut last winter.View attachment 451958

Not distinct alternating white/dark layers like I've seen on American elm. I agree your stump pic is Siberian - but compared to mine the bark is much thicker, much thicker and distinct white layer under the bark (like Siberian I've cut). The growth rings seem to throw everybody off but If I had shown the other side of the round the rings are much tighter.

This particular cutting site I've not seen any Siberian - usually easy to ID by the leaf size. I don't know but Elm is sure hard to ID the different variations and the traits seem to mix between the variations. I've cut Siberian variations that had the really small leaves, really thick crusty bark, very thick white layer and the wood is really soft. I've also cut ones that look more like the pics I've shown in the first post that make me wonder what it is. Also around here the Siberians don't drop like flies to dutch elm - I'd say 90%+ are doing just fine. The version in my pic? more dead every year and never get bigger than this one. The Siberians get much larger diameter and are still going strong.

Not distinct alternating white/dark layers like I've seen on American elm. I agree your stump pic is Siberian - but compared to mine the bark is much thicker, much thicker and distinct white layer under the bark (like Siberian I've cut). The growth rings seem to throw everybody off but If I had shown the other side of the round the rings are much tighter.

This particular cutting site I've not seen any Siberian - usually easy to ID by the leaf size. I don't know but Elm is sure hard to ID the different variations and the traits seem to mix between the variations. I've cut Siberian variations that had the really small leaves, really thick crusty bark, very thick white layer and the wood is really soft. I've also cut ones that look more like the pics I've shown in the first post that make me wonder what it is. Also around here the Siberians don't drop like flies to dutch elm - I'd say 90%+ are doing just fine. The version in my pic? more dead every year and never get bigger than this one. The Siberians get much larger diameter and are still going strong.
Do you have pics of rounds from higher up the tree? I still think it's American with a lot of color in the stump.

@svk ,
American Elm will have bark with layers of dark reddish-brown and creamy-white... I'm not seein' it.
I see light browns, tans, and grays.
The contrast between the two isn't something you have to look hard for... it jumps out at ya'.

View attachment 451974

This has been my experience as well... American Elm bark= very distinct layers and color difference.

Typically when I cut into a live or RECENTLY dead elm I'll find one of two things -

Redish/pinkish wood pretty much through out and it's either Red or Siberian.
I typically equate Siberian with deep furrowed/thick bark, a wider cambium layer (white), small leaves, less of the typical elm V-shape, stains down the bark. And then there is the tree I have the pics of here -that I don't think is Siberian - thin bark, thinner less defined cambium layer, and larger leaf size. Also both typically split better than American Elm.

or

Creamy white wood with a brown stained center that can be up to 50% of the OD size - I typically think this is American Elm.

Now if they've been standing dead for a while - the coloration can be all over the place, especially for American Elm.

This particular cutting site I've not seen any Siberian - usually easy to ID by the leaf size. I don't know but Elm is sure hard to ID the different variations and the traits seem to mix between the variations. I've cut Siberian variations that had the really small leaves, really thick crusty bark, very thick white layer and the wood is really soft. I've also cut ones that look more like the pics I've shown in the first post that make me wonder what it is. Also around here the Siberians don't drop like flies to dutch elm - I'd say 90%+ are doing just fine. The version in my pic? more dead every year and never get bigger than this one. The Siberians get much larger diameter and are still going strong.[/QUOTE]

Most of the Siberians on my land die from me cutting them down. A small few do get dutch elm and usually struggle forever and show lots of sprouts on top and look sickly for a long time before dying. I saw one Siberian in our woods last year, then looked around and found a dozen more that were 'hiding'.

Pull some of the bark apart and look for the alternating layers. Hard to tell on the pictures of cut wood.

Latest posts

Back