Elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple of variables..
Which type of Elm?
How quick did it shed it's bark?
Well in my case American, and not sure about bark. I know where there was an almost pure stand about a mile from my cabin. Most of the big boys were pretty dead by the mid 80's and I haven't been in there since 1999 but I was thinking there might be some good scrounge from the smaller trees that were still alive the last time I was there.

Well in my case American, and not sure about bark. I know where there was an almost pure stand about a mile from my cabin. Most of the big boys were pretty dead by the mid 80's and I haven't been in there since 1999 but I was thinking there might be some good scrounge from the smaller trees that were still alive the last time I was there.
The upper limbs of most should be still good.
The rot occurs first mid way of the trunk, as it seems to collect moisture there and the bark sticks tight allowing rot.
Sometimes the limb wood is good even if the base is sketchy careful when dropping them. tops can still be relatively heavy with little trunk strength.
I've seen American Elm go south in as little as 3 years.

It's funny as that was the only place elm grew anywhere around us, I guess the soil was just right for them. Best area for woodcock too. Except I did find one monster solo tree way out in the woods, about 2 miles from there.

I am going to be processing a big red elm for my friend when I go out to visit him in upstate NY next week. It had been dead for an unknown time and was completely solid when we dropped it last summer.

Latest posts

Back