Emerald Ash Borer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zac

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Big news: EAB was reported in St. Charles IL on Monday, June 12. I was expecting it to hit the east side of Chicago first, but it snuck in right under my nose. I have done a few sprays for it already. What chemical and method works best for control.

Zac

Merit Via trunk treatment.

However the USDA dosen't care if you treat a tree....slash and burn is their program. If it's the zone, down it comes.

I hate to say it but there is really no use in spraying those trees. Around here I just big on a monster of an Ash where the homeowners said they had it injected and sprayed and it still died. I guess it all depends on how much money the homeowners are trying to spend on the trees.

I believe that they are also out in the Oregon- Byron area also. I own some land out that way and see evidence in nearby areas. I guess it's only a matter of time until they make standing firewood on my place.

Biological is the way to go! There is a parasite that kills it. At least thats what was being discussed at one time here in ohio. I just can't remember what the bug (bugs) were called. Its also a cheap land developer. As soon as the trees are taken down in mass they then build something there. (fishy) To me it seems to be a way around the enviromentalists. I am refering to a big wooded areas surrounding larger cities. It also stamps the firewood dealers out. I am not saying thats how the ash borer got here, just that it is being used as a tool.

Biological is the way to go! There is a parasite that kills it. At least thats what was being discussed at one time here in ohio. I just can't remember what the bug (bugs) were called. Its also a cheap land developer. As soon as the trees are taken down in mass they then build something there. (fishy) To me it seems to be a way around the enviromentalists. I am refering to a big wooded areas surrounding larger cities. It also stamps the firewood dealers out. I am not saying thats how the ash borer got here, just that it is being used as a tool.

My company tree expert says that spraying or injecting the tree is only preventative. It is useless if the ash is already infected. Is this not the case?

I removed a large ash tree from here in ohio and I think the Ash Borers got it. Holes all over the base of the bark, and when I removed some bark there was some weird larva worms. I have other ash trees that half the branches have no leaves and only a very few leaves near the top. Does this mean I am losing these also? These ash trees stick out like a bad thumb. I am ready to cut them down for firewood. I would hate to do it, but I dont want to waste the wood.

Warning

:greenchainsaw:
laynes69 said:
I removed a large ash tree from here in ohio and I think the Ash Borers got it. Holes all over the base of the bark, and when I removed some bark there was some weird larva worms. I have other ash trees that half the branches have no leaves and only a very few leaves near the top. Does this mean I am losing these also? These ash trees stick out like a bad thumb. I am ready to cut them down for firewood. I would hate to do it, but I dont want to waste the wood.

Ohio has strict rules about moving affected ash in any form unless it is USDA approved through kiln drying. Stiff fines if you're caught.

Its strictly on my property. Cut in my woods and taken to the house. I thought thats only if you are in a quarentine zone. Theres not one around here. I think its 12 or 13 counties in ohio. The tree was dropped late winter. Who knows. Its not being hauled all over Ohio either. Im not worried.

The outbreak in Illinois is not suprizing, however don't think for a minute that this happened this year, estimates now say that this insect became established in Michigan around '91 or '92. That pocket was probaly in exsistence for at least 3 to 4 years. This pest takes a while to build a noticable threshold population. Treating trees IS a preventative measure. A big tree that died after treatment was most likely infested BEFORE treatment began, but showed no symtoms, VERY common.

Back