Emerald Ash Borer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope you don't mind me jumping in here. Central PA has the borer. As far as firewood value, does it decrease it much?[/QUOTE
PA Plumber, what will decrease the value of all firewood (I sell too but it is not here yet) is the vast quantities generated by thousands (millions in s Michigan) of dead trees(supply) and the inability to move it outside quarantined areas.

I'd like to jump in too. First of all what company are you Ohio guys with. I'm not too far off the Ohio border in Wayne county Indiana and a freind who's a tree guy is down in West Harrison Indiana. Right now we've got a county to the north of us that has the little critter. Kind of an isolated area and it's to the west of us about two counties over. I figure it's just a matter of time. Right now firewood prices haven't been affected around here but lumber prices are so low for ash. It's not even worth selling the timber for lumber you get as much if not more for firewood. You guys might try to sell preventative measures in your areas to people that have few ash trees in their yards.

My company is Shaw Tree Surgeons Inc. in the north suburbs of Cincinnati. I ve already lost sales by not being allowed to deliver wood over the river to Ky. bcs we are in a state quarentine although we are not a confirmed county yet. That is how the feds handle it. Ohio cannot take wood into any ajoining states that are not quarantined states. As for the treatments, I feel it is bordering on unethical to treat prior to being a confirmed county.

I agree to a certain extent there with having to deal with being unethical but if you have someone who is very passionate about their trees and that's something that they ask about is the little critter and you suggest a soil drench to strengthen the tree that they want to do everything to preserve it then fine but to offer some miracle cure and push and push then I see where you're coming from.

I agree to a certain extent there with having to deal with being unethical but if you have someone who is very passionate about their trees and that's something that they ask about is the little critter and you suggest a soil drench to strengthen the tree that they want to do everything to preserve it then fine but to offer some miracle cure and push and push then I see where you're coming from.
PUClimber, I ve been to prob a dozen seminars since the advent of EAB. The first was at Purdue in I think about 2002 w IAA. The word all along is that unlike most borers this one can conquer the healthiest ash on the contenent. Ash trees in China where they have evolved w EAB have almost no problems fending it off if they are healthy. lThe treatment is some sort of low pressure spray of a substance from the ground up to approx 8' on the bark. Jury is still out on success.

It's been proven that there has been some success done with a soil drench and I know Ohio and Indiana are supporting a product out by SPS that is a micro injection.

I thought when you said "to strengthen" the tree you were talking a fertilizer application. Yes systemic soil application of Merit has had some success. It is referred to as results being "inconsistent" in "The Ohio Emerald Ash Borer Fact Sheet", by Daniel Herms and David Sheltar originating at Ohio State. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn t. It requires follow up treatments. Like I said , the jury is still out on all the treatments it is so early in it s history. We ve been agonizing over this on my town s urb for board so I am somewhat versed on it.

is any one in your area paying attention to the radio and TV ads against moving fire wood?

is any one in your area paying attention to the radio and TV ads against moving fire wood?
I think all the pro s know about and the fine is heavy. I want to guess maybe 10k. Big problem this time of year is campers and I hope someone doesn t get stung and made an example of. Plenty of ads and billboards.

Back