employer refuses to pay workers comp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is why I down sized my equipment, during an audit I was told that due to the fact my men were subject to operate skidsteers, drive big trucks hauling trailers, run chainsaws, etc.. my rates would continually go up.

hire more men the chance of injury goes up along with your premium, so I sold off some equip. & to be honest Im really thinkin about moving on, employees are hard to come by(good ones) & my guys are good but the competitiveness of new start up companies doesnt allow me to give the raises my men deserve.

they ask me whats up with raises, I tell em this job only pays $550.00 their reply; its worth $950.00, my reply; yes I know but the owner got other bids at $6-650.00 either I bid to get work or we stay home take your pick!!

I have to admit meeting all the legal obligations is a strain this year!!! Its a shame I love my work!! but everyone is trimming trees & for less now than 15 yrs ago.

LXT............

I'ed look for a New Job! Their are to many good Co,s that have full Benny,s.
Yeah I have been there 13 years
for a company that was what you are calling good, pay sucked,but the
worst thing was nepotism the manager had less experience than me!
I for the first seven years missed one sick day gave 100 percent and
got 20cent raises yearly and then the corporate baby you treat you
like you are a dumba?? and wonder why you quit.

Here in Jersey, you are required by law to carry WC insurance. It is also state regulated, they set the rates. If your employer does not carry it and you get hurt, the state will pay you what you deserve and take it from your employer... the whole amount. All the medical expenses, all your pay, and any settlement you are granted for long term damage.

Some companies do give discounts. Also those companies who don't have many claims get a discounted "MOD" rating that is controlled and set by the state. That means you automatically get a discounted rate, before any other company incentives.
You can also buy a "minimum premium" policy. That means if you have no permanent employees you don't have to pay for them until the end of the year. You are however covered in case you hire a guy for a couple days or whatever.

Here in Jersey, you are required by law to carry WC insurance. It is also state regulated, they set the rates. If your employer does not carry it and you get hurt, the state will pay you what you deserve and take it from your employer... the whole amount. All the medical expenses, all your pay, and any settlement you are granted for long term damage.

Some companies do give discounts. Also those companies who don't have many claims get a discounted "MOD" rating that is controlled and set by the state. That means you automatically get a discounted rate, before any other company incentives.
You can also buy a "minimum premium" policy. That means if you have no permanent employees you don't have to pay for them until the end of the year. You are however covered in case you hire a guy for a couple days or whatever.

guy that used to work at my day gig, went solo..... mom and pop tree co.... not to long ago,, his groundie,, got a log dropped on his leg,, no workers comp,, broken leg....

not having workers comp is illegal in new jersey,, if you have employees...

guy is going to pay all the med bills.....

whats a broken leg cost these days at the emergency room????

1K 2K 5K 10K 20K ?????

HELL,, just had 2 crowns put on at the dentists for $ 2,500 !!!!

guy is going to try to cover his pay,, also... but he doesn't have that big of a biz...

last i heard groundie got a lawyer!!!!

" GOOD BY HOUSE"

sucks, but you gotta have it if your in biz,, with a crew....

juststumps...
your right, it is illegal in NJ to have employees without workman's comp., it is also illegal to be incorporated in NJ and not have a workman's comp policy. Plus being incorporated and not having WC or proper coverage does not protect you from being personally liable. There is no corporate protection when uninsured, but some people like "guy" you knew do it anyway.

The state pays your bills and the state goes after the employer, and yes good buy house.
Lawyer, YES that is usually what happens when an uninsured employer has an injured employee, even an insured employer, especially here in NJ. The state and the lawyer don't care if the company has any money. They are going after everything... house, savings, retirement, and future earnings.

So I don't know what WC insurance costs elsewhere, but being without it is a BIG gamble.

Well maybe if they actually made it anywhere near affordable
it would be provided I myself have not been able to pay it
I however do not employ I either use temp service or sub
with a waiver! I am not alone the wc is not affordable and
I can show you vast subdivisions that have been built and
not one green back spent on wc. I would have to charge
too much and customers would use someone else I barely
get jobs with overhead now. Timber you act like only the rich
should have the chance to grow are you a politician?
This may sound harsh but I would like to see a no insurence
if you get hurt pay for your self that goes for car, and everything
the money saved on premiums over the years and invested
would more than pay doctors bills as they would have to
compete for our business!

Does "and everything" include the damage that you did to the other guy's car, not to mention the liability for potentially removing his ability to earn a living for the rest of this life in order that he support himself and his family.
I doubt the money saved in insurance premiums would pay for the medical bills for two catastrophic injuries. I doubt you are going to be a position to engage in competitive bidding when you are lying on a gurney about to die.

Big John I would report your employer in a heartbeat.

Does "and everything" include the damage that you did to the other guy's car, not to mention the liability for potentially removing his ability to earn a living for the rest of this life in order that he support himself and his family.
I doubt the money saved in insurance premiums would pay for the medical bills for two catastrophic injuries. I doubt you are going to be a position to engage in competitive bidding when you are lying on a gurney about to die.

Big John I would report your employer in a heartbeat.
If no one had insurance the doctors would have to come down
on their rates or starve! I can't even afford health insurance
with the invasion are government allows and you would be surprised
just how fast people heal with out it! Insurance is one of the biggest
factors in inflation and if you ever have to use it you will be dropped
and pay higher rates. I have never had a claim in my biz and still
barely afford gen liability and commercial truck ins.and tags
for what they ask on conp you could insure his whole family.

Lions and tigers and bears. oh my.

Not sure of your meaning but I see you live in Dallas
high end there able to get fair pay for trees I am sure!
The volume of jobs I get is not yet enough to cover,
and don't have dollars to spare and I climb all my own
trees and was told if I did get it I would not even be
covered if I get hurt, my agent said. I am looking into
a payroll service as someone mentioned and hopefully
I could do that I would rather screen my own help as
temporaries sometimes stink. In our state you can get
a policy that covers no one the subs can work with
a waiver I am told this will protect you but still stinks.
I feel in ultra small businesses if an adult decides to work
with you and they know you don't, can't afford it they
should be able to have a right to that choice and if
they knowingly release the responsibility why then
is the small biz crucified?

Pay your own...I hear the USA has a great health and workers compensation schemes...

My current employer refuses to pay workers comp. I say fine at least pay for health insurance in case I get hurt, well cant have that either. Seems that when you cant afford to pay workers comp, taxes, or insurance you cant afford to provided insurance, holiday pay or vacation time.

I wonder what I should do. Anyone hiring?

Move on friend, move on.

For millionaires yes, scheme is exactly the way I see it.
I'm running tight right now our area is in recession, sob stories a plenty. that wc is not a luxury its the best ins. you can buy. If you have a 10/hr worker you pay 14/hr and that covers his 10 plus ins. and taxes then your your covered. Payroll co. will make it easy for you. pay as you go.

I'm running tight right now our area is in recession, sob stories a plenty. that wc is not a luxury its the best ins. you can buy. If you have a 10/hr worker you pay 14/hr and that covers his 10 plus ins. and taxes then your your covered. Payroll co. will make it easy for you. pay as you go.
Lees I have not found a payroll company that
will cover comp yet for one employee doing
tree work they want ten to fifteen employees
and thirty five per week just to do pay roll but
no comp.

didn't think about it being different from state to state. if its even there AMS staff leasing you may have to include yourself on the payroll. One payroll company dropped my company because an employee had bogus wc claims in the past. they couldn't tell me to fire him so they fired all of us. I think he milked wc for $150,000 and the payroll company didn't forget.

Latest posts

Back