Encouraging health of cherry trees on woodlot?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CNYCountry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have 18 acres, some areas that are wet and others that are up a little and much drier. I have mostly hemlock and some other evergreen in the wetter areas and mostly cherry, maple, birch up on the drier areas. The deciduous trees seem to be very tall and slender, I would assume encouraged to grow upwards quickly by the height of the canopy. I have found a number of fairly young cherries that have blown down showing a fairly limited root system under a 50' trunk that is at most 9-10" at the bottom. The soil here is fairly heavy loam. I am wondering if there is overcrowding that is making the trees grow upwards faster than they can form a secure root system.

The cherries are fairly plentiful and look healthy, I am wondering how can I encourage them to grow and stay healthy. Am I along the right lines thinking I should remove the birch and then the maple from around them as needed?

Incidentally, is there any use for all of this hemlock besides fence posts?

What kind of cherry trees do you have/

If they're falling over, consider removing less of their support--prune don't remove adjacent trees.

pos tpictures so you can get intelligent advice.

treeseer said:
What kind of cherry trees do you have/

If they're falling over, consider removing less of their support--prune don't remove adjacent trees.

pos tpictures so you can get intelligent advice.

Good point, I will get pictures.

I have to admit I don't know exactly what kind of cherry they are, they have that distinctive bark and rich red looking wood. The hardwood floors in my house are cherry, they're beautiful, I wouldn't be surprised to find out they had been milled from the local area.

I will get some leaves, etc and do a postive ID on them.

Back