End of an era? Sold the first chainsaw I owned.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccarley

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
It happened. The first chainsaw I owned, I had to sell (well according to my wife I had to sell it).

Back when I was younger, and figured I needed a chainsaw, I had found this "Sears Best Craftsman 3.3" chainsaw on Craigslist somewhat locally. It was $100, and it ran. I met this somewhat questionable couple at a gas station just off the freeway in Novato. I questioned the legality of passing a chainsaw around in a public place, and even running it; but it's not like it's a 1911; it's a legit tool. I bet it was the blond chick's ex's saw, and her new BF looked somewhat questionable too as he had to keep his cigarette in his mouth while demonstrating that the saw could start. In the dark, at a gas station by the freeway. I knew nothing at the time other than it was a chainsaw, it was only $100, and it ran. That deal in the dark corner of the gas station was probably one of the more legal/legitimate "deals" it had seen...

After I picked it up, I wondered if 3.3CI or 54cc's was a good engine size for a saw. I started to learn more about different chain types and bar styles. Then learned about tuning the beast. Found the oiler adjustment and cranked it up. In the end, it was wearing an Oregon Pro-Lite bar with a very nice chisel chain from Oregon. Mild muffler mod and more tuning revealed the 54cc saw could cut and throw chips like it should.

Happy to help out the neighbor cutting down a stump, and making a mess in the process:
IMG_0202.sized.jpg

As it has now moved on to someone who may not deserve their own chainsaw, hopefully I'll be able to replace it with something even better in the future :chainsaw: Depending on how my wife feels about it, of course. I keep reminding her, "each one has a specific purpose"!

Clay

I regret selling my first saws but in reality I would rarely use them. My second saw was also my dad's main saw when he was alive so I regret selling that one more.

I also regret selling many of the guns, boats, cars, motorcycles, etc but they served a purpose when I had them and the $ served a purpose when I sold them too.

I was like you svk - I sold my Dad's only saw and regretted it. So I have since purchased 3 just like it and will make 1 nice one from the 3 donors.

I regret selling my first saws but in reality I would rarely use them. My second saw was also my dad's main saw when he was alive so I regret selling that one more.

I also regret selling many of the guns, boats, cars, motorcycles, etc but they served a purpose when I had them and the $ served a purpose when I sold them too.
The only regretful sale I had was my 1992 Honda RS 125 2T Moto GP bike It was looked after better than the pet dog & in1994 I won a silver replica in the TT on the Isle of Man by finishing in the top 10 in the ultra lightweight class a guy pestered me to sell it to him & against my better judgement did. I ordered a new RS 125 the weekend following was a meeting at Silverstone & as I also had a RS 250 decided to just race the 250, the new owner turned up & proceeded to inform all & sundry that his new to him bike was a race winner I remember one of the other guys racing said to me is that your ex bike I told him yes to which he replied "He will either hurt himself or wreck the bike or both it's to quick for him First lap of first 125 practice & he slung it down the road at Stowe corner minor injury's but bike was totaled I was gutted although I had been paid for it but to see it go from immaculate to a heap of trash in less than a mile was a bit of a downer. Ah well never mind.

I literally lose mass amounts of brain cells every time this subject is brought up. My neck vein is bulging so hard my head is tilted all the way over. Thank God it doesn't pop like the ones in my eyeballs just did.
I really thank the guy who bought my mac sp125c because we really needed the money for the holidays two seasons ago....but you can kiss my ass for buying it you....damn...I want to phukkin hate you but I can't.

I miss my first saw. Poulan wild thing. Thats the saw that started it all for me. I gave it to a good friend.
I do have some saws i will never part with, especially my dads little dolmar 420. I never used it since hes been gone. One day ill maybe get it out and br8ng back some memories.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

It happened. The first chainsaw I owned, I had to sell (well according to my wife I had to sell it).

Back when I was younger, and figured I needed a chainsaw, I had found this "Sears Best Craftsman 3.3" chainsaw on Craigslist somewhat locally. It was $100, and it ran. I met this somewhat questionable couple at a gas station just off the freeway in Novato. I questioned the legality of passing a chainsaw around in a public place, and even running it; but it's not like it's a 1911; it's a legit tool. I bet it was the blond chick's ex's saw, and her new BF looked somewhat questionable too as he had to keep his cigarette in his mouth while demonstrating that the saw could start. In the dark, at a gas station by the freeway. I knew nothing at the time other than it was a chainsaw, it was only $100, and it ran. That deal in the dark corner of the gas station was probably one of the more legal/legitimate "deals" it had seen...

After I picked it up, I wondered if 3.3CI or 54cc's was a good engine size for a saw. I started to learn more about different chain types and bar styles. Then learned about tuning the beast. Found the oiler adjustment and cranked it up. In the end, it was wearing an Oregon Pro-Lite bar with a very nice chisel chain from Oregon. Mild muffler mod and more tuning revealed the 54cc saw could cut and throw chips like it should.

Happy to help out the neighbor cutting down a stump, and making a mess in the process:
IMG_0202.sized.jpg

As it has now moved on to someone who may not deserve their own chainsaw, hopefully I'll be able to replace it with something even better in the future :chainsaw: Depending on how my wife feels about it, of course. I keep reminding her, "each one has a specific purpose"!

Clay
I don't have my first wife anymore, or even my second, but I do still have my first chainsaw. And my grandfather's as well. Not sure if that's a sad comment on my life or a positive one.....

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back