Enforcing Safety

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very valid point

See? Now what is that number?

Once I saw a road crew( private contractors) and they had some kid running a cut off saw through a lane on a bridge, no cones, no flags, no eye, ear or head protection. I actaulyy stopped and got out for that one. I came round the bend and saw this head in the middle of the road, big ass chop saw screaming and through big time dust, everybody standing round watching the kid cutting.
Once a township raod crew flew by my roadside work site, took out three cones, I grabbed a 20 and jumped in my truck and too off after them.

Once I saw a road crew( private contractors) and they had some kid running a cut off saw through a lane on a bridge, no cones, no flags, no eye, ear or head protection. I actaulyy stopped and got out for that one.

See I respect the hell out of that. You saw a problem and out of your concern for a persons safety (NOT THE CONCERN FOR YOUR WALLET) you stopped and attempted to make a change. Taking a couple of pictures and turning someone in does nothing to prevent an idiot getting hurt today. Maybe in the future but not today, when BCMA drove away chuckling to himself about how stealthy he was, the idiot may have sawed half his head off and died. If you want to try and make a differance make it for the right reason, and do it in a manly fashion.

See I respect the hell out of that. You saw a problem and out of your concern for a persons safety (NOT THE CONCERN FOR YOUR WALLET) you stopped and attempted to make a change. Taking a couple of pictures and turning someone in does nothing to prevent an idiot getting hurt today. Maybe in the future but not today, when BCMA drove away chuckling to himself about how stealthy he was, the idiot may have sawed half his head off and died. If you want to try and make a differance make it for the right reason, and do it in a manly fashion.

:chainsawguy:I cut a tree for regular last week.

ACROSS the street , the hacks were working , 3 looking , one chopping a bush with an axe while the boss STOOD next to the bush! I went over and explained to them , that I was busy , and didn't have time to take them to the hospital , I offered to get my saw and cut the bushes for them , which I did on my own time! And was happy to do it! Just think , an Axe to the knee! That would hurt!

If he lived thru that little 4" tree on the head bcs of a hh he prob woulda been flattened by a garbage truck on the way home.

Sometimes it is just your day. Everyone has that day.

I subscribe, instead, to the theory that everyone's born with a finite but unknown amount of luck, and when that luck is up it's up.

Doing work safely, and with PPE as a final layer of protection in case of the unexpected, just makes you use up the luck at a slower pace.

Once I saw a road crew( private contractors) and they had some kid running a cut off saw through a lane on a bridge, no cones, no flags, no eye, ear or head protection. I actaulyy stopped and got out for that one. I came round the bend and saw this head in the middle of the road, big ass chop saw screaming and through big time dust, everybody standing round watching the kid cutting.
Once a township raod crew flew by my roadside work site, took out three cones, I grabbed a 20 and jumped in my truck and too off after them.

I feel that Dan. I have had to physically restrain my leading hand when some idiot drives through our marked,coned and signed work area well over the limit. I took him seriously when he said he was gonna chuck and duck................ and miss the chipper.

I subscribe, instead, to the theory that everyone's born with a finite but unknown amount of luck, and when that luck is up it's up.

Doing work safely, and with PPE as a final layer of protection in case of the unexpected, just makes you use up the luck at a slower pace.

Do you drive your car or truck around with a helmet strapped on then?

I have been in the biz a long time and on these forums for a few years. One thing I have found in common with the strongest of PPE proponents that want it all on from leaving home to going to bed is that they have an anal retentiveness that borders on a mental disorder (obsessive compulsive disorder) and I do not see how they accomplish anything during the day paralyzed by fear and anxiety. It even extends to all they view.

Next thing up is strapping little helmets on all our fingers and thumbs.

I have been in the biz a long time and on these forums for a few years. One thing I have found in common with the strongest of PPE proponents that want it all on from leaving home to going to bed is that they have an anal retentiveness that borders on a mental disorder (obsessive compulsive disorder) and I do not see how they accomplish anything during the day paralyzed by fear and anxiety. It even extends to all they view.

the horror

Now the bridge was on a side ride off a country road, not much traffic but then that can be bad cause you think no cars ever come. I stopped to tell them they would have to move the Tri-axle cause the crane was coming over and made a sarcastic statement to one of the chiefs about the kid with the cut off saw. All I know is that I didn't hear anything walking back to my pick -up truck.
When I caught up to the township guys they where allready out cleaning a drain and I screehed up with a saw in my hand and asked for the m and f'er that hit the cones. The two other guys pointed to the guy taking off through someone's yard.
Working with the two tards am I now I am hoping to be able to spring for some decent hats for them soon. Then I guess I will have to go on strike til they decide to wear them.
A guy wearing a hat while doing some serious work looks good and pro, a guy who has the thing on pruning lilacs really just wants someone to put him out of his misery.

I am with ya. There is so much more to safety than PPE. Recognizing ALL risks and worst case scenarios and accounting for each and avoiding, mitigating or eradicating them is foremost IMO. Nobody gets hurt on my job. I do like a little pain now and then tho I have to admit.

(this referring to Dan's post prior to above)

Last edited:
A guy wearing a hat while doing some serious work looks good and pro, a guy who has the thing on pruning lilacs really just wants someone to put him out of his misery.

Worst hit I ever took in a woods was loading a trailer behind a tractor with firewood blocks. Had my hardhat on and was getting ready to back up the tractor to be closer to the pile. Helper tossed a ~4"x18" log onto the trailer and it skiped like stone off a wet piece on the trailer and came right up and smacked me on the side part of my helmet like it was making its second skip across a lake. It hit the helmet but it was down far enough on the side that it had a heck of a lot of force upside my head. Knocked me clean right out of the seat of the tractor and onto the ground. Was totally not expecting it so was 110% unprepared. When something like that happens I think it causes more damage because there is no reaction time. One minute I was in the tractor seat and the next I was on the ground thinking WTF was that and where did it come from?

If you need some help in how to work in trees, observe current OSHA regulations and be profitable TV I will gladly help. There is one condition I insist upon. You must stop thinking about my anus and what it retains. :cheers:

I negativly rep. you but

I apologize if you tried to help them. Even if you did though, you most likely came at them with the condescending holier than tho atitude that you did this post. In which case, who wouldn't dismiss what you said. Here's an idea maybe just maybe you have enough gray matter' to know what its like starting out in this industry too have even the slightest respect for someone else to try and teach them a safer way, rather than to try to rid any competition before they have a chance. You know whats really sad is someone took you under their wing and helped you get this far rather than report your early safety violations. I just wish who ever it was who had enough forethought to pass on to you a little respect you self rightous peice of meat. ofcourse they probably did the best that they could with someone like you and now regret the scumbag you've become.
We all are having to deal with these start up, expanding thier work companys. but that does not mean they are bad. They need help. Ethier to make it, or at least keep thier employes safe till they fail.
I could never imagine trying to kill a mans hope like that. I can't even hope the same for you, but I would probably smile to hear you were hit with an osha violation like the ones you were trying to report.
How about letting us know the area that you work so we can watch you with a camara? and instead of us letting you know whats wrong we report your company.

I wear a helmet and jacket when I ride my bike but I dont fear it. I drive with a seatbelt on but I dont fear it, I lock my front door at night (most of the time), I put my daughter in a carseat, I put on sunscreen in summer, I wear glasses and earmuffs when operating grinders, I put a cloth on my shoulder when burping our baby, I take the keys out of my vehicle when its unattended.

Its all stuff done almost automatically to prevent a damaging event that MIGHT happen. Wearing a seatbelt doesnt mean I drive like an idiot or ignore the rest of the road rules or drive in fear.

PPE makes everyone safer, people take your work site more seriously if your wearing gear and they are more careful around you. Its also a great trigger for putting you and your crew in the work mindset. Helmet on, game on.

If you need some help in how to work in trees, observe current OSHA regulations and be profitable TV I will gladly help. There is one condition I insist upon. You must stop thinking about my anus and what it retains. :cheers:

Anal retentive: "Commonly abbreviated to "anal" is used conversationally to describe a person with such attention to detail that the obsession becomes an annoyance to others, and can be carried out to the detriment of the anal-retentive person. The term derives from Freudian psychoanalysis."

Back