Engine repair stand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I have never seen the attraction to them. I want to be able to move a saw in any position I want and not tied to a bench.

The one I have is very maneuverable. Flip the saw around with a 1 lever release. Plus it holds the saw in place when applying force such as removing a clutch. Only hand clamping is the bottom swivel for turning (hand knob.
Plus you can stand to work on a saw and still have the bench free.
Just one of those things I don't want to give up after forty plus years. A time saver. Saw clamps on using one bar nut.
Just not sure the new Stihl style is heavy duty enough. Maybe I am too old school.

They are out there........grabbed this one off ebay a number of years ago, it came from an out of business saw shop in the PNW.....think I paid $82.00 delivered to Maine. Until you've used one for a while you don't know what you're missing. Very handy....can solidly hold the saw head in just about any position leaving you with both hands to work with rather than work with one and hold the saw with the other. No idea where this came from originally but I know Tilton's sold the same rig in red.

49SP Build with Northwood Saw Piston 014.jpg

I copied yours mark years ago living in the PNW you would think I could find one of those but so far no luck

They are out there........grabbed this one off ebay a number of years ago, it came from an out of business saw shop in the PNW.....think I paid $82.00 delivered to Maine. Until you've used one for a while you don't know what you're missing. Very handy....can solidly hold the saw head in just about any position leaving you with both hands to work with rather than work with one and hold the saw with the other. No idea where this came from originally but I know Tilton's sold the same rig in red.

View attachment 1158718
I have a second one that looks just like that. I believe it is an old Stihl version.

I have a second one that looks just like that. I believe it is an old Stihl version.
Perhaps it was Stihl. I know Tilton had the same rig in their catalog it red. I took mine completely apart to see where it was from but not a bit of ID on it anywhere. I assume they were made by a third party and offered to most saw brands as a dealer only tool in whatever color mtched the brand........but that is just an assumption....the only real fact I have is an add showing it in a Tilton dearler catalog I have.

We just had a discussion about making a version of these, someone suggested this ball vice contraption. Had a ball that clampped into the base with a stud sticking up. I thought I book marked it, but I didn't. Thought it would have worked pretty well for a saw vice.

Back