Engineering Explained test drives Cybertruck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He talks really fast and must not monetize his videos a lot as I don't recall any advertisements popping up.

A 240 volt welder can be used from the plug in the bed. Ok how many amp welder. My welder says 70 or 80 amps draw but I have used it on a 40 amp breaker, Is this an extra or comes in a higher-level package. Let's plug one in and gradually increase the amps and see what happens.

Who is putting up the larger truck videos that use off the shelf components.? Same as post #1

35 inch tires,, ok in Tesla talk we now use the outside diameter. What rim size for so many words he speaks that isn't the only omission.

I don't want to like it, I can't take it seriously. It's a truck that was entirely designed by people who don't use trucks. Although most "truck" people don't use their trucks(hauling the kids to soccer practice and hauling bags of mulch home from Home Depot doesn't count), and the CT isn't meant to be for truck people who actually use their truck as a truck, so I guess it doesn't matter.

It looks like an '80's hot wheels car, brought to life. Someone commented that the Cybertruck is like someone left a Pontiac Aztec and a Delorean alone in a garage together, and I think they nailed it. Art over function, and my preference is for exactly the opposite.

I know Tesla likes to blank slate design things, and abandon designs they think were purely traditional and not functionally required, but they go too far. A lot of those traditional designs were traditional because they were the best way to do things, based on 100+ years of experience by millions of people.

He talks really fast and must not monetize his videos a lot as I don't recall any advertisements popping up.

A 240 volt welder can be used from the plug in the bed. Ok how many amp welder. My welder says 70 or 80 amps draw but I have used it on a 40 amp breaker, Is this an extra or comes in a higher-level package. Let's plug one in and gradually increase the amps and see what happens.

Who is putting up the larger truck videos that use off the shelf components.? Same as post #1

35 inch tires,, ok in Tesla talk we now use the outside diameter. What rim size for so many words he speaks that isn't the only omission.

I was able to find the info you say was omitted in under two minutes.

I don't want to like it, I can't take it seriously. It's a truck that was entirely designed by people who don't use trucks. Although most "truck" people don't use their trucks(hauling the kids to soccer practice and hauling bags of mulch home from Home Depot doesn't count), and the CT isn't meant to be for truck people who actually use their truck as a truck, so I guess it doesn't matter.

It looks like an '80's hot wheels car, brought to life. Someone commented that the Cybertruck is like someone left a Pontiac Aztec and a Delorean alone in a garage together, and I think they nailed it. Art over function, and my preference is for exactly the opposite.

I know Tesla likes to blank slate design things, and abandon designs they think were purely traditional and not functionally required, but they go too far. A lot of those traditional designs were traditional because they were the best way to do things, based on 100+ years of experience by millions of people.
I agree. They did do some cool stuff with the 48 volt system and I like the steer by wire idea. (Not for road use though.) But all in all its a piss pore truck.

It'll be great for the mall crawlers who shift into 4wd on gravel and want to plug in their air conditioner for their tent while camping. That's the crowd this is meant for, not the contractor towing a tool trailer 150 miles each way to the job site, or the equipment trailer with the skid steer on it.

I suspect the 240v outlet has more to do with powering a home for a bit in a power outage, and for feeding other EVs, than any kind of tool usage, given the limitations of the rest of the truck.

To be fair, the AC'd tent folks have a good idea. I don't handle heat myself.

I was able to find the info you say was omitted in under two minutes.
Ok so what are the rim sizes and 240 volt ac output in amps.

By saying he talks real fast it means omissions are sort of excusable.

To be honest I had the base lightest two wheel drive version in my cart at $40,000 with the extra $7000 self driving or save you if you fall asleep option and balked at all the terms and conditions for the super charger network. It would tow 7000 pounds if I recall and spent quite a bit of effort trying to find the turning circle. Now with 4 wheel steering that is likely easily findable.

The inclusion of a 240-volt NEMA 14-50 outlet is particularly intriguing, as this specification implies a high-power output capability. I spent way over 2 minutes by now. I get half a paragraph and upon clicking on it or opening in a new window it is just a blank page. The other little paragraph says you can charge another vehicle at 9kw which using 240 for the voltage is 37.5 amps.

If you watch his semi video he calls out the tires as 22.5" rims.

Maybe I am just kind of disgruntled because in order to put a $100 deposit I was directed to apply for access to the supercharger network, agree to cookies third party disclosure of information and more and more stuff and in the end, they never yet have made the version I intended on putting the deposit on.

Woops, I thought you were being snarky and wanted someone else to spoon feed you easily available info. Apologies if you're actually having issues.

11.5kw, almost 48a @ 240v.

https://www.tesla.com/cybertruck

View attachment 1152530

Ok, a full 50 amp breaker at capacity. I wonder how many 3/16" rods that welder can burn up before the welder poops out of power?

At 123 kWh for the total battery capacity, you can run that 240v welder at 40 amps for 12.81 hours. That's a lot of burnt rods.

Of course, you'll need to keep your phone charged, 'cause you will be calling for a tow after the battery is run totally dead.

If they would make the base model F150 battery pickup it would not even have a 240 plug in the bed. I spent a while doing build your own maybe it was for a 2022 or 2023 you could not just add the plug you had to up your trim level and even then, it was not that 50 amp plug probably was a 30 or 20 amp one. That was before any were delivered.

Hard to know what to believe on the internet but there seems to be problems in making those battery cells for this cyber truck and the semi or at least making them at the rate for the orders they have. When they announced the new cell it was going to use less floor space for the equipment to make them.

For me who might want to charge a battery motorcycle chances are the on board charger for one of those is 3 or 6 kw. A Zero with the charge tank option that adds like 30 pounds up high is about 12kw total. My KTM is 2.5 kw on fast and less on normal and it is not onboard.

I spent a while trying to figure out what the on board charger or level 2 charging would be. Editing words in the ask google way did not work for me but I think from the Tesla site it is 11.5kw but I was on the cyber truck and the picture is of a sedan.

DIMENSIONS​

Weight​

6,843 LBS

This is the gvwr for an 8' bed v8 two wheel drive F150 2024 model given to me at a walk in Ford dealership. 6800lbs. I did not apparently write down the empty weight but my similar 2012 will hold about a ton at the point it is beyond gvwr.

Back