Enough of the Bullxxxx !!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozflea

Good ol' BP Zoom 25-1
Reaction score
Just a bit of Aussie history before it's too late.

Called in yesterday to see a very old friend of mine Les Avery of Mulbring in New South Wales, Les is now 82 and looks extremely well concidering his age, He and his son Robin are the last of the Bullock team owners here in Australia, with Robin still using the team to snig timber out of the bush in the less hilly areas of their property.

I am looking forward to seeing Robin and the bullocks in action over the next couple of weeks as now bullock teams are a thing of the past out here in Australia so if possible i'll get a few photo's to share so a little bit of Australia's Timber history will not be forgotten.

I believe at there peak the team used to have up to 12 bullocks working together dragging the larger logs out, the old bullocks all had there own names and the lead bullocks would respond to the teamsters commands thereby guiding the team where and when the teamster wanted, pure magic to watch.

I'll get a few pic's of Les and Robin although Les can no longer work in the bush i feel the need to make sure he's included as without him there would be no team of bullocks.

I sat talking to Les and Robin on Les's front verandah yesterday we spoke about all the old chainsaws that they had used during their time in the bush, Danarm Tornado's D88's i think he said were the worst saws they ever had always breaking down so when Les Bought his first Solo Rex things improved and Les went on to own a few of the Rex's before switching to Stihl's a brand they have stuck to ever since.

Robin admitted that over time he has seen many a saw and some good ones at that which were as good as the stihl in performance and durability.

At one stage i recall selling a Mc or two to Robins brother Peter which he owned and used for many a year i'm pretty sure it was a PM 105.

Anyway i'll continue adding to this story after i revisit the Avery's and get the odd pic or two.

Mc Bob.

OZ I cant wait to see the pics. i love looking at old school pics of logging. Please tell us more about this man if you can. If not let the pics speak for themselves.

Back