Enough

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd rather fight mud, wasps, and back leaning snags, then go to work on monday... but it pays the bills for now, with a little luck the logging will pick up and I can quit my day job, for good this time

I know what you mean. My old boss called this morning, he got his tree service back up and running. He wanted to know if I would come back and turn wrenches and drive chip truck O_O. I politely said that I am doing fine with what I have going right now and I am not interested in doing tree service work or turning wrenches or driving truck.

I remember the moment I realized I had enough, it wasn't entirely my choice. I found that after a major repair, I could no longer move as fast as I needed to, so I went to part-time, flatground hazard trees.

Problem is the mechanics are getting really good so down time is at a minimum, but the parts cost a whole lot more, and the Mechanics are charging like 2000 an hour...

Not sure I can even afford another visit... (Hel I couldn't even begin to pay the last one)

Quitting has never really crossed my mind. I can't work for another man, it's not in my DNA. I do not possess the gene that makes a man "Just happy to have a job". I'd rather live in dumpsters than punch a time clock. A 9-5 work-a-day job sucks away my will to live, even one working in the woods.
So, God willing, my business will expand a bit. Brother has a disc surgery to get done, then he can buy the machine and join me. I have way more wood than I can cut, and I'm not even searching for it. It comes to me more and more now.
The trick will be getting bigger without getting too big. I don't have a desire to be so big that I have to spend my days doing everything BUT logging.

So are you guys getting a forwarder along with the harvester? Or are you getting a buncher to go along with the grapple skidder? I've heard that the dangle heads put out a #### ton of wood compared to a fixed head. For doing a lot of pulp and small sawtimber cut to length with a forwarder sounds about as good as it gets.

So are you guys getting a forwarder along with the harvester? Or are you getting a buncher to go along with the grapple skidder? I've heard that the dangle heads put out a #### ton of wood compared to a fixed head. For doing a lot of pulp and small sawtimber cut to length with a forwarder sounds about as good as it gets.

Hope to see him buy a tracked feller with a 22" hotsaw. A harvester would be awesome, but they are quite expensive and require the forwarder.
We have decent sized wood as a rule, not west coast huge, not south-east poles. Pine averages 18" - 30", and hardwood sawlogs are usually 16" - 26". Pulpwood goes as small as 4", but usually we leave anything that isn't 12" or bigger. I know opinions vary, but my feeling is that even a pulpwood grade tree that is 6" has a huge head start and will gain value just like a sawlog grade tree. The way mechanized crews mow all the understory and everything but the best young sawlog grade trees doesn't seem wise to me...so I don't think I will ever go into full scale chipping. We may chip the larger tops and whatever pulp can't be sold due to quotas.

The company I used to work for chipped for Globe Metalurgical. It was a 3" by 3" by 1" chip ...a massive chip by most standards. We feed that chipper (morbark model 30 NCL with a 2 knife disc) with tsi wood and culls along with poplar and numerous other garbage wood we could get...even willow. At any rate that chipper could make 1000 ton a week with no sweat. We had a deere 653 tracked bucnher with an 18" hot saw and a 450c jack grapple skidder that made 50% of that wood. The remaining 50% came from various loggers as we paid by the ton and that paid more than a load of fire wood poles did. That market is now gone as globe chips in house now and brings wood in on rail car.

I was curious what market you have for pulp/chip wood where you are?

Problem is the mechanics are getting really good so down time is at a minimum, but the parts cost a whole lot more, and the Mechanics are charging like 2000 an hour...

Not sure I can even afford another visit... (Hel I couldn't even begin to pay the last one)

My major repair in 2010, right ARM, was over $10,000.00 a screw, 10 of them

I was curious what market you have for pulp/chip wood where you are?

There's a fairly reliable market for both: 3 power plants, a few pellet plants, several chipper plants that feed several pulp mills, and firewood is always a hot seller.

Sorry to hear about your down sizeing. Hope things are better now though and work is good. Having to throw the towel in is a very hard thing to do. After my wreck in September 19,2003 I had plans of getting back to work. It never happened. I came home 5 weeks later and still had to learn to walk again and a $1.2 million hospital bill.
Anyway hope you all do well in your endevers and be safe
jnl

Back