Eqivalent Husky to McCulloch 250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
My dad purchased a new McCulloch 250 & 3 chains back in 1964 new for $100. It appears to be a 80cc saw with 4.3 horse power. We have been quite pleased with this saw, and have a couple of small newer McCulloch saws; however we are looking for a replacement for the 250. although we have found a source for parts, and the saw appears to have good compression, w'd have to sink about $100 into it to find out. We looked at Stihl, but don't like the fact that it appears that the main company controls the pricing for all dealers so we decided on a Husky as the new McCulloch appear to be junk.

I am curious what size of Hucky would compare to the 250. Its main use would be to cut through trunks and logs while general trimming would be done with our other Mc saws. We still used the older 1/4 wide chain on the 250, but the newer saws use smaller chain, and combined with the fact engines are probably designed better now, this brings into question do we need to buy a Hucky with the same horse power rating or settle for something a little less to save money. We cut about 5-6 cords per year, with occasional trees with 4 foot diameter trunks, but mostly in the 10 inch to 24 inch range (mostly hard a rock dead dried out trees with no bark).

WoodBoy said:
We looked at Stihl, but don't like the fact that it appears that the main company controls the pricing for all dealers so we decided on a Husky as the new McCulloch appear to be junk.
This is illegal. It's called price fixing. Dealers are independant and can charge whatever they want.

So uh...what kind of plans do you have for the old MccCulloch 250?

What's the problem with it?

There is no direct equal to a good running Mac 250 in modern saws. Totally different beasts. I would think that almost any 70cc modern saw would seem insanely fast and nimble compared to a stock 250. Using a 20" bar and a sharp 3/8 chain almost any +50cc modern saw will probably out cut a stock 250.

I just bought yet another Mac 250 today. I like them, I just cannot say no to the big old Macs.

RED-85-Z51 said:
250 is still a cool saw.

That is correct. That is why I have many of them. That being said, they are heavy, bulky and slow. Stock with .404 chipper and a 16" to 20" wide profile hard tip bar does not help the speed through the tree. I think there are many modern saws that a firewood cutter could improve his productivity with, starting at the $350.00 mark new.

I am not sure what parts his saw needs but I would fix it and keep it for dirty wood and stumps. I like them for dirty crappy wood and stumps because of the chain speed, torque and ability to dump bar oil on the chain. I would not want to buck wood all day with them anymore.

If you have one and want to improve cut time then put 3/8 semi-chisel, 20" sprocket nose bar and a 3/8 by 8 rim on it.

Back