Equipment Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thansen

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a small fuel reduction business in Montana and I'm looking for some input to help me up my acres/day production. Currently I do everything by hand (chainsaw) and use my JD 250 rubber tire skid steer to gather brush etc. I've been looking at tree shears and saws and at the possibility of upgrading my skid steer to a compact track loader. So here is my questions:
How does over the tire skid steer tracks compare to a actual compact track loader? What would be better to use with a shear?
As far as a shear, I keep going back and forth between the kind that just shear the tree down and let it fall, or the kind that actually holds the tree after you shear it so you can carry it upright to a landing. What have you guys found works the best in thinning? I'm concerned that if i get one that does not hold the tree I will be injuring the "leave trees".
Thanks for your help, and I appreciate any suggestions and help in this matter. I just want to get the best production for the dollars I invest in equipment. O'yea, i'm mostly working in pine forests, lots of lodgepole, and ponderossa and those blasted Junipers. Thanks a bunch.
Travis

Back