Equipment Selection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutter300

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Could someone help me with equipment selection which could be confusing at times. Tree climbing and care for now will be a hobby for me.
I am considering Arborplex, Samson Arbormaster Blue Streak and Buzz Line 12 Strand.
I know that Arbormaster is the better rope but it is also the most expensive of the three.
I have heard that with the Arborplex knots can loosen or maybe slip. Is this true? Is it hard to tie knots with the Arborplex?
Does anyone have experience with Buzz Line and how does it compare with Arborplex? What is milking when it comes to rope?
I will be making a 2 in 1 lanyard and knotting to the rope clips no eyes. Which would be the best rope to use and which would be the best prussic cord to use? I want to prevent rope slippage at the rope clips.
Finally, I am planning on using a weaver saddle with leg loops. How uncomfortable is it to hang in this saddle. After how much time hanging does it actually become uncomfortable?
:help:
Thanks to all.

WOW!! thats alot of questions, first things first. most who enter this field have atleast worked the ground & used different ropes & are familiar with the language pertaining to the field.

second it will take a few years of climbing before types of saddles would be an issue, saddles have changed greatly since I started & no one saddle will meet every need or be comfortable in all positions to the specific user. If you havent used a couple saddles yet!! then this IMO is a non-issue & it will take time for you to acquire the skills to select the right saddle for you.

as far as ropes go there all basically the same pertaining to type of course! they all have a rating(work load, kermantle strength,shock load,etc..) choice is limited by what your intended use is!! figure this out & you`ll know what to choose.

Good luck & Be Safe

LXT...........

IXT
I am a beginner and I need to start someplace. I need some advice so I won't be spending money trying things which may not work well. I you could give me some specific answers to my questions it will be appreciated.

Wow

First of all unless you have ever rope climbed before you wwould never know the difference between poison ivy and arbormaster as far as feel and knot tying stability.I would find a reputable tree company and climb on whatever they give you. Try other poeples ropes, see whta you like. THere is no sense trying to get hte perfect rope righ toff, the perfect rope will come after some years of using a variety of ropes. All arborist climbing lines will hold knots, all will be fine to footlock on, you will only notice subtle differences after you have been doing this a while. If you are set on starting yourself, get some 1/2true blue and try that, nice coarse tecture in your hands, may give you asense of security in comparison to smaller diameter ropes.
Another thing, use some thimbles for your lanyard they will help relieve stress onton that one point of rope that rubs on the rope snap.
Weaver is a great saddle to start on, I would say that almost every treeman has climbed on one in his career, typically during the start. THere is not set time limit when they become uncomfortable, they actually are plenty comfortable when hanging on them. I think when you need to move around the tree more the fact that they attach in the center with not sliding action can become a hinderance. Some of the best tree guys I know swear by the weaver double D ring saddle. Its all a matter of personal taste, you can still get work done in double d ring saddle just maybe not as compfortably as in a butterfly or a glide or something.

Last edited:
Arborplex is a very good rope. Never had a problem with tying a knot in it and I have never seen one of my knots slip.
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=12AP+150&catID=292
Buzz line, never heard of it.
Milking? What Bush is doing to this country.
Treemaster is what you want to make the lanyard out of.
http://gear.sherrilltree.com/iwwidb.pvx?;multi_item_submit
Tenex is what I use for a prusik. Works great for me.
20 minutes or so depending on your mood is about time to move on as for as the saddle goes.
Pm on the way.

Thanks, you have been of great help. Now I have a better understanding of things and I also could now buy with more confidence.

Back