Established Flowering Cherry Dying - Help quick!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtimblin

Reaction score
Last fall a pink 6 yr old flowering cherry tree died in my yard and it happened so fast that the leaves never fell from the tree it just simply turned brown and it was gone. Last week we returned from our 2 wk vacation and found several small and large branches on our 18 yr old remaining cherry tree in the same condition. After close examination I noticed sap coming out of the tree from many locations right through the bark, not seen this before. This tree has been very healthy up to now. I large crack was also found near the base of one of the main branches that ran laterally up the branch about 15 in. long and 1 in wide. I treated it with a pruning sealer and out came many carpenter ants. I had my house exterminated along with the tree by pros. today. I don't feel like that was the real source of the problem although it will certainly become one. I have seen this before where saccades laid eggs in the bark of fruit trees. Could this be the problem here or do I have some disease to deal with. I really hope not to lose the tree as it is the focal point of my front yard. Any ideas? Have pictures if needed:(

Prunus (plumb and chery genus) are seseptible to boreres and cancers. What you describe sounds like a bacterial canker.

There is no treatment for this. Trim out the dead wood. Water as needed and enjoy it untill it becomes too ugly. Maybe try training a basal sprout into a branch so you can prolong its useful life.

When I was working for the general public I would always warn people that these plants were marginal in our area and not long lived. If you were in the MKE, WI area I would say you were lucky to get 13 years.

Replace them and just concider it to be temporary, like a sofa, chair or curtains.

Back