Estimating wood consumption

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlarge54

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've never been able to estimate my wood consumption until recently, typically I just work out of piles and haul in at different times of the year. This year is different, on Dec. 1st I started burning out of one stack and calculate the wood used in that time is under 3.6 full cords (128 cu ft/cord). I dont know what our degree days have been but a couple relatives think it's been a cold winter with LOTS of wood burnt. I'm located in NE Indiana about 20mi S of Michigan if that makes much difference.

Would 6 cord/yr be an approprate estimate?

A lot depends on your stove and home insulation. I'm 20 miles north of the Ohio line and I use between 5 and 6 full cords heating 1900 sq.ft.. I also budget 6 cords for each year.

I dont know what our degree days have been but a couple relatives think it's been a cold winter with LOTS of wood burnt.

I dunno if it was people like me who got "snowed out" of the wood lots over the winter, or folks who've used more then usual (or both!)...

But I noticed this past weekend was like a fall day -- I saw multiple pickups loaded with wood, and saw a number of driveways with loads dumped in them.

it varies alot due to the variables involved but most people who use a modern burning appliance use around one cord per heating month ,for alot of us that equates to 5-6 cords

Well being about 3 miles down the road from ya, I think I used about 3-4 cord. Hard to say as I cut some dead standing elms and hauled them right to the house as I went so I didn't really take from the stuff I had stacked, but I'd guess 3-4.

Back