Estwing Fireside Friend Splitting Tool...A++

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allow me to demonstrate.

Select one split from the pile that you want to reduce in size
for kindling and place in front of you on flat even surface.
attachment.php

Select your regular long handled 6lb maul and choke up on the handle because you don't
need a full swing on this split, placing the long unused end between your legs.
attachment.php

Now chop down at the split in a sharp quick manner (not realizing that as you chop down, the other comes up)
attachment.php

Lay on the frozen ground, holding your bag, for 5 minutes. Be careful not
to get your face in the puke that was your breakfast.
attachment.php

I will not demonstrate this technique again.

:ices_rofl:...Yep that is pretty much how it goes...:yourock:

I would note, since getting a Fiskars super splitter, I find choking up on it's 28" handle, makes for an easier to control tool for the smaller splitting jobs.

Rather than a hammer swing needed with a short handle axe/splitter, the supper splitter action is more of a horizontal dropping of the 4 lb head, and the work is done. When it's not, the conversion to a more serious effort is a quick adjustment.

With a short handled tool, I used to have a 5 lb short handled maul ready to help.

Allow me to demonstrate.

Select one split from the pile that you want to reduce in size
for kindling and place in front of you on flat even surface.
attachment.php

Select your regular long handled 6lb maul and choke up on the handle because you don't
need a full swing on this split, placing the long unused end between your legs.
attachment.php

Now chop down at the split in a sharp quick manner (not realizing that as you chop down, the other comes up)
attachment.php

Lay on the frozen ground, holding your bag, for 5 minutes. Be careful not
to get your face in the puke that was your breakfast.
attachment.php

I will not demonstrate this technique again.

I'm liking the short handle on the Fiskars SS better especially after that...:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Just picked up the Estwing today and it is awesome, you can split half logs down to kindling. If it gets stuck a 3# sledge will make quick work of getting it through. Good handle, low vibration, and can two hand it for tougher stuff.

Just picked up the Estwing today and it is awesome, you can split half logs down to kindling. If it gets stuck a 3# sledge will make quick work of getting it through. Good handle, low vibration, and can two hand it for tougher stuff.

Congrats on a fine tool...What part of IL are you from?...

I bought one of the estwings last year at our local ace hardware. I am happy with mine, works great for making kindling. Way better than a hatchet or axe.

I bought a fireside friend last night and thought I'd dig this thread up again. I figured out fairly quickly that if I wanted to keep all my fingers attached to my hands, I better give this thing away for a Christmas present. I'm better off with both my hands firmly grasping the handle of the Fiscars SS. ;)

Ian

Last edited:
Back